JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Looks like my better half did a bit more; in the kitchen, I see stuff for the woodstove, a stack of canned tuna, and her new pistola. Oh and a couple extra piercings in her ears, but that is another topic. ;)

We hiked Drift Creek Falls

A2186E05-1C48-4A68-8049-DEBC10FF91C3.jpeg

Hauled some logs off the ditch along the road down to the shop so that when the snow comes if someone slides off the road they won't hit some big gnarly trunk/log.

Scoped out where I am going to plant some privacy trees (mostly cypress) so the house and shop are less visible from the road.

Big local garage sale today and scored several great deals: new looking Schmidt work boots all leather $5.00. #34 US made 6" bench vise,$10.00, nearly new B&D router, $10.00 with plastic case, 10 inch Makita chop saw, $10.00, all in working order. Also got new set of steel stamping letters and numbers, $2.00.:D

Brutus Out

Climbed in the AM, grabbed the pup and walked out to the Sandy River delta doing the off leash thing, sealed the windows I'd rebuild with some foam stuff I'd picked out of the dumpster (real happy with it!), cleaned up the house, cooked steak, potatoes and salad for dinner, drank wine, marked my ropes with ink, fiddled in the garden. I'm tired.

Probably should have gone to that garage sale ^^^ Brutus hit. I'd grabbed a highly accurate Delta Chopsaw at a GS, so wouldn't need the Makita he found for $10 :) Last garage sale I went too, fella had @ 20 holsters (mostly plastic), AR stocks of various makes and models, etc and such and he was selling it for $2.00 a lb. I considered buying it all, decided not too as I didn't own any of the firearms they were for (Beretta 92 and Glocks). It didn't last long. Someone got a deal.

Tested my well and pump capacity by filling a 5 gallon bucket over and over again for several minutes. You have to let it run for a while to get the pump going because most wells have a pressure tank (usually less than 10 gallons) to keep the pump from turning on for every glass of water and to smooth out the pressure.

Also, you generally want to do it from a spigot outside as inside the pipes are usually smaller and there may be restrictions in the pipes that slow the flow (this is the case in my house).

I found that from one spigot I got at least 30 GPM which IMO is pretty good. I might get more if I did it from multiple spigots simultaneously.

Why is this an important prep?

This occurred 1400 yards from my house:

http://pamplinmedia.com/nbg/142-news/364425-245497-brush-fire-breaks-out-on-chehalem-mountain

Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue, OR

60 firefighters work to prevent brush fire from spreading

Had not someone reported it so quickly, and had not TVFR not been so quick and not put 60 people on it ASAP, and had it jumped over the highway into the very dry grass field there, I may have had to deal with wildfire on my property.

US-NEWS-CALIF-WILDFIRES-1-LA.jpg

Cut another load of Ash firewood.
A new chain on the saw made it a LOT easier.:)

Also picked up 100 rounds each of .380 and .38 Special and a new cleaning kit.

New tires and an alignment on the pickup. Now I need to restart the "car maintenance fund".

4 mile power walk each of the last 2 days.

IMG_1891.JPG

• My better half disinfected a good chunk of the house. The kiddos, and eventually the adults, have been fighting an infection for some time. Kids may be a blessing, but they are also little vectors too.
  • I split some firewood and downloaded some equipment manuals to the NAS drive.

Not so much a prep as learning a couple of things that are useful - one I more or less knew, but this event confirmed; that I have good neighbors who will check up on me if they think I need it - which is important when you live out in the boonies.

Monday night I was watching a movie and apparently I set off the panic alarm in my car; I had the key fob in my coin pocket and apparently pressed the middle button long enough to set off the panic alarm in my car which is often parked about 50 feet away from my house.

My neighbor let his dogs out before hitting the sack and noticed the lights flashing from his house about 150 yards away - even though my car is mostly hidden by trees from his house. He came banging on my door to see if I needed help.

So I answered and went outside and noticed the alarm and shut it off. Not sure if I can set off the alarm from anywhere in my house, but I can from the living room and my bedroom. Good to know. Not all that reliable because of the distance from other houses, the fact that they can't hear the alarm inside their houses or far away, and the trees and such, but good to know.

Not so much a prep as learning a couple of things that are useful - one I more or less knew, but this event confirmed; that I have good neighbors who will check up on me if they think I need it - which is important when you live out in the boonies.

Monday night I was watching a movie and apparently I set off the panic alarm in my car; I had the key fob in my coin pocket and apparently pressed the middle button long enough to set off the panic alarm in my car which is often parked about 50 feet away from my house.

My neighbor let his dogs out before hitting the sack and noticed the lights flashing from his house about 150 yards away - even though my car is mostly hidden by trees from his house. He came banging on my door to see if I needed help.

So I answered and went outside and noticed the alarm and shut it off. Not sure if I can set off the alarm from anywhere in my house, but I can from the living room and my bedroom. Good to know. Not all that reliable because of the distance from other houses, the fact that they can't hear the alarm inside their houses or far away, and the trees and such, but good to know.

Nice to have good neighbors!

My truck fob buttons will lower all 4 windows if pressed and held...an "interesting feature" ...I found out about the hard way.

Like yourself, had the fob in my pocket and the button got pressed. Went out in the am to all windows down!

Happened a second time, but I caught it shortly afterwards.

Made a simple plastic key fob cover out of a re-sourced plastic microscope slide cover box (perfect size for Nissan fob). Because my keys are almost always in my pocket.

Hasn't happened since (few years).

More than once I have come back to my car to see the passenger side window down. Not sure how that happens - maybe I press a button on the door when getting out - the driver's side has buttons for all windows. But the alarm still works - stick anything inside the car when the alarm is armed and the alarm goes off.

I just worry that it is something funky with the car and that it will happen when it is raining.

Yeah, good neighbors are priceless! I'm sure the Heretic is a good neighbor too; his kind would be welcomed in this neighborhood.

We've suffered through the loss of two great neighbors since 2009; stunned actually, and there's nobody left worth helping...

The bright side is we know it.

;)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews