JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Money in the bank!

Physical fitness
Heat your home
Mental toughness
Out of the house (aka trouble)

:D

^ Indeed, that is correct.

In this past "winter from hell", we had many a tree on our property come down due to Mother Nature. We also took some down before they could land on something not good (e.g., kids, house, vehicles, propane tank, etc.). The net result was a crapton of firewood that, over the course of many months, I split all by hand. I had to set up another storage facility for the many cords of wood. I learned a few things during those early morning splitting sessions ...

1. It was good exercise.
  2. I'm not as young as I used to be. Much like traipsing about the Oregon Dunes in May, my body gave a less than subtle reminder of that fact.
  3. Splitting wood in the brisk morning hours gives a man a lot of time to think. Failing that, it is a great way to get the agression out.
  4. Next time, I need to use a log splitter.*
* In August, my parents were up for the kid's birthdays. My father inquired about the new storage and I showed him the result. He thought about it for a moment and said "You cut that all by hand? You really need to get a splitter. Your mother finally made me get one ..." He's 73 now, and to say he subscribes to old school machismo would be a major understatement, but it was interesting that he finally invested in help with the wood supply after all these years. I'd imagine since all six of us kids are long out of the house, it is even more necessary for him to reassess the situation.;)

forgot to mention that with no power this morning, we built a fire in the wood stove and brewed coffee using an old camping "percolator" we had stashed. Tasted great.

Power was out from last night until 7 pm. This was a good dry run for a SHTF. Wifey is very pleased with how we did. I convinced her to read "One Second After" a week ago. She's about half way through, and it's been a real eye opener for her.

Installed a $40.00 trigger; a step up from a stock Anderson model...very smooth and a stronger hammer spring. Now I have a spare trigger group.:D

Loaded up 365 cartridges; .223, 62g SS109 pull downs with 25.4g IMR 4895.

Participated in the weekly MT Hood ham radio net.

I put in an extra 25 hours of work this weekend getting a project out.... Not sure there was any "prep" benefit but having it done one day before the deadline makes this coming week a little saner.

I am 9 weeks into my EMT training. Doing 1-3 calls a day with the QRU and have my clinicals at the hospital this Saturday.

Between fire calls, med calls, work and school I don't feel like I need much more on my plate at the moment.

Bought 2 sets of shelving at Costco today to clean up my garage area. Seemed like it was getting to be 3 ft deep everywhere. Practiced putting one together and basically doing it twice. Figured it out, the other one will go smoother.

"Paperwork" at the range; here's the deal on engaging martians... They can and will use their psychic powers and mental telepothy to pull your weapon out of your hands... You gotta hit em in the frontal lobe, you gotta hit em hard, and you gotta hit em fast!

IMG_20171023_081616961_HDR.jpg
Hounded 4+ pounds of range brass.

Took delivery of two tourniquets

IMAG1245.jpg Well the other night got into a heated argument with a fellow NWFA member and he ask if I ever had to eat a MRE lol any way I went to my stash and got one took a picture and said I have ate a few then I ate the one I took a picture of there still good Three year's after I bought them

Been buying a box of 100 rounds of 7.5 shot for the 12ga's after paydays.

It's starting to build up quickly. If I don't use it for the end of the world, I'll have a blast (a puno_O) knocking clays out of the sky.

Also buying a box of heavy bird loads (#6 shot) for grouse that get a little further away while it's cheap during hunting season.

Still trying to find some 7.62x39 for plinking.

Been buying a box of 100 rounds of 7.5 shot for the 12ga's after paydays.

It's starting to build up quickly. If I don't use it for the end of the world, I'll have a blast (a puno_O) knocking clays out of the sky.

Also buying a box of heavy bird loads (#6 shot) for grouse that get a little further away while it's cheap during hunting season.

Still trying to find some 7.62x39 for plinking.
Lol every time I go to Walmart I buy a box of shot gun shell's 20 gag or 12 GA lol I have to build another self in my closet for shotgun shells

I put in an extra 25 hours of work this weekend getting a project out.... Not sure there was any "prep" benefit but having it done one day before the deadline makes this coming week a little saner.

I am 9 weeks into my EMT training. Doing 1-3 calls a day with the QRU and have my clinicals at the hospital this Saturday.

Between fire calls, med calls, work and school I don't feel like I need much more on my plate at the moment.

Make hay while the sun shines is what I always tell anybody when they talk about how much overtime/etc.

It is most certainly a prep.

This bit of wisdom coming from a famous procrastinator. :D

I rebalanced my 401K. Again I balanced it out so 80% is in safer investments than the stock market, and 20% is in the market, instead of the other way around.

As I did almost exactly a year ago. Between Trump getting elected and the predictions of corrections, I was worried so I moved a lot into bonds. And of course, the market shot up anyway.:rolleyes::oops:

All my contributions since went into the market though, so I still made a decent rate both on what I contributed and on some of what was in safer investments (some of which did pretty well, others did nothing but didn't lose anything either)

Just the same, the market is at an all time high and if a tax bill doesn't get passed, then the market may see a downturn, so I moved all those earnings into a safer place.

This time around though, my contributions will go into funds that overall are a bit safer - about 50/50, but these funds did better than the market funds did this past year, so...

Just the same, I am not pushing anything into the 401K right now - I had maxed it out just in case I get laid off (which looks like it won't happen) so I can't put any more in until January. I think I won't put any in next year until early spring - if the market crashes or has just a correction, then THAT is the time to buy, not before.

I rebalanced my 401K. Again I balanced it out so 80% is in safer investments than the stock market, and 20% is in the market, instead of the other way around.

As I did almost exactly a year ago. Between Trump getting elected and the predictions of corrections, I was worried so I moved a lot into bonds. And of course, the market shot up anyway.:rolleyes::oops:

All my contributions since went into the market though, so I still made a decent rate both on what I contributed and on some of what was in safer investments (some of which did pretty well, others did nothing but didn't lose anything either)

Just the same, the market is at an all time high and if a tax bill doesn't get passed, then the market may see a downturn, so I moved all those earnings into a safer place.

This time around though, my contributions will go into funds that overall are a bit safer - about 50/50, but these funds did better than the market funds did this past year, so...

Just the same, I am not pushing anything into the 401K right now - I had maxed it out just in case I get laid off (which looks like it won't happen) so I can't put any more in until January. I think I won't put any in next year until early spring - if the market crashes or has just a correction, then THAT is the time to buy, not before.
Well I had a 401 K year's ago Cash out when I switched jobs mmmmm used it all a month later to pay for my daughter 's funeral

Well I had a 401 K year's ago Cash out when I switched jobs mmmmm used it all a month later to pay for my daughter 's funeral
I guess I should have said you never know what's going to happen this is the stuff that makes people go broke hospital bills and all that comes after

I guess I should have said you never know what's going to happen this is the stuff that makes people go broke hospital bills and all that comes after

Yes - I have spent about $40K this year supporting my kids due to injury and unemployment. That came from an inheritance, but I am old enough where I could have pulled it from my 401K/IRA/Roth IRA without penalty. I am also fortunate enough to have a good paying job.

I am about 3-4 years away from retirement so I am becoming cautious with what is in my retirement funds. If I was 10+ years away, I would let it ride as I have before, but 3-4 years is not long enough to recover from a severe downturn.

Yes - I have spent about $40K this year supporting my kids due to injury and unemployment. That came from an inheritance, but I am old enough where I could have pulled it from my 401K/IRA/Roth IRA without penalty. I am also fortunate enough to have a good paying job.

I am about 3-4 years away from retirement so I am becoming cautious with what is in my retirement funds. If I was 10+ years away, I would let it ride as I have before, but 3-4 years is not long enough to recover from a severe downturn.[/QU

I am about 3-4 years away from retirement so I am becoming cautious with what is in my retirement funds. If I was 10+ years away, I would let it ride as I have before, but 3-4 years is not long enough to recover from a severe downturn.
I have seen pictures of your property at least I think it was your property if you want to keep it cut your kids lose unless there under 18

A fellow I worked with worked quite a bit of OT. He said it was like a part time job that paid very well. There is a lot to be said for that. :)
I don't work a lot of over time it doesn't pay off for me a little here and there but to much comes back to haunt me not married no kids White male mmmmmm uncle Sam loves me at the end of the year and no Vaseline and no reach around lol

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top