JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Put a shell holder on my new Beretta 1301 15085553601551885435013.jpg

Got my flu shot.

Next I am thinking of getting the pneumococcal vaccine.

Between the flu and pneumonia a lot of people get very sick this time of year and no small amount wind up in the hospital (had several people at work wind up that sick).

For about the past ten years I have gotten something like the flu during the winter, and then had a persistent cough for one to two months. The last two years I have had to get antibiotics to get rid of it, last year had acute bronchitis until I took the antibiotics. Usually got it either from someone at work or my kids (who got sick last weekend).

I figure if I even have a 50% less chance of getting the flu this year, it is worth it (shot was free).

Maybe after the first of the year I will go for a DPT booster, and I am thinking about telling them I am going to be traveling abroad and ask for typhoid, hep a/b and meningitis (can be caused by flu).

These are bad enough when good healthcare is available (had a cousin come down with meningitis and was in the hospital for weeks) but in a SHTF situation you are much more likely to catch something and when SHTF it is the wrong time to be sick, especially with something serious.

So yeah, its a prep.

Got my flu shot.

^ Good idea. I got mine last month and do so each year religiously. I had a really bad strain of the flu in my early 20s and it knocked me on my butt for a solid week. Not where I want to be if/when SHTF.

As to preparations, today I ordered a copy of Living with Earthquakes in the Pacific Northwest: A Survivor's Guide (2nd Edition), written by Professor Robert S. Yeats, and published by the Oregon State University Press.

Got my flu shot.

Between the flu and pneumonia a lot of people get very sick this time of year and no small amount wind up in the hospital (had several people at work wind up that sick).

For about the past ten years I have gotten something like the flu during the winter, and then had a persistent cough for one to two months. The last two years I have had to get antibiotics to get rid of it, last year had acute bronchitis until I took the antibiotics. Usually got it either from someone at work or my kids (who got sick last weekend).

I figure if I even have a 50% less chance of getting the flu this year, it is worth it (shot was free).

Maybe after the first of the year I will go for a DPT booster, and I am thinking about telling them I am going to be traveling abroad and ask for typhoid, hep a/b and meningitis (can be caused by flu).

These are bad enough when good healthcare is available (had a cousin come down with meningitis and was in the hospital for weeks) but in a SHTF situation you are much more likely to catch something and when SHTF it is the wrong time to be sick, especially with something serious.

So yeah, its a prep.

Well, got my flu shot Wednesday still a little off my feed, chills! We always get the flu vaccine. It's covered at Kaiser, and the last time we didn't get them the wife was down for four weeks and I was out for five weeks. With no kitchen! Only running water in the house was in the bathroom. Refer was up and the microwave, misery!!!
One thing I am happy about is the pneumococcal shot has never given me any side effects! Always gives me a, probably false, sense of security! Like pulling on armor! :)

Last Edited:
The last time I got a flu shot was 40+ years ago. I immediately got sick (within a week). My grandfather, who got the shot with me, wound up in the hospital. I've not had the flu like that since - vomiting, etc., but I do get a severe cold that goes into my chest and so on - that is probably the flu although it starts off like a cold. I get the aches and fever and so on.

I am hoping I don't get it this year. Each year it gets worse, I wind up taking sick days, feel like death for several weeks, then feel bad for a month or two more. I may get the pneumonia shot here in a couple weeks when I am sure I have no reaction to the flu shot. So far I feel fine - not even a sore shoulder or spot where I got the shot.

But yeah - if SHTF while I was sick I would probably be in a world of hurt. So I am trying to be more diligent about such things. Been going to the dentist and getting everything taken care of dental wise. Been going to the chiro and massage therapist and making progress on my back and neck - slowly, very slowly.

Last time I got a tetanus shot was 1996 when I crushed my foot in a bike crash. Before that, I got some shots in the USCG in boot. So I am way behind. Just imagine all the crap going around if we have a severe earthquake or a nuke hits the west coast or something severe like that. A lot of people will die just from getting sick, and a lot of them probably would survive if they had these shots.

The last time I got a flu shot was 40+ years ago. I immediately got sick (within a week). My grandfather, who got the shot with me, wound up in the hospital. I've not had the flu like that since - vomiting, etc., but I do get a severe cold that goes into my chest and so on - that is probably the flu although it starts off like a cold. I get the aches and fever and so on.

I am hoping I don't get it this year. Each year it gets worse, I wind up taking sick days, feel like death for several weeks, then feel bad for a month or two more. I may get the pneumonia shot here in a couple weeks when I am sure I have no reaction to the flu shot. So far I feel fine - not even a sore shoulder or spot where I got the shot.

But yeah - if SHTF while I was sick I would probably be in a world of hurt. So I am trying to be more diligent about such things. Been going to the dentist and getting everything taken care of dental wise. Been going to the chiro and massage therapist and making progress on my back and neck - slowly, very slowly.

Good man! Staying on top of your future good health is hugely important, yet very difficult and expensive to do!

Got my flu shot.

So yeah, its a prep.

Dang good thinking! Tell them you may plan on traveling to a Malaria endemic region as well (Check current WHO maps, and pick what may be a realistic tourist destination-SE Asia as an example) for a 2-4 week trip.

Can get a prescription for whichever anti-malaria's as well. Please use caution and due diligence if you do happen to get a prescription fir them though. Some have some severe side affects. Just put them away safely. It's extremely unlikely we would have a need to use them here...

Last Edited:
Dang good thinking! Tell them you may plan on traveling to a Malaria endemic region as well (Check current WHO maps, and pick what may be a realistic tourist destination-SE Asia as an example) for a 2-4 week trip.

Can get a prescription for whichever anti-malaria's as well. Please use caution and due diligence if you do happen to get a prescription fir them though. Some have some severe side affects. Just put them away safely. It's extremely unlikely we would have a need to use them here...

I noticed they offer yellow fever shots, but I just don't think malaria is going to be an issue here in the PNW.

Power's been out all day, so we "tested" running the generator to power the freezer. Works great! Hot water heater is next.

Our main road to town is closed due to a landslide, so briefing both kids on alternate routes. IMG_1911.JPG

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top