JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Went to Smiths for their case sale. Mostly stuff I don't use, but they had Campbell's Chunky soup for $1.25/can. Could have gotten it for $12/case if I could have found any cases of the type I wanted. Still a good deal. So I picked up enough to last through next years Sept sale :D I was down to 6 cans from last year's sale. Also got 3 more food grade buckets with gamma lids at Lowe's.

Jeeze that's a good deal on the soup Angie, nice score! We do a bunch of no water needed soups day to day (mostly Progresso & Chunky brands), so also stock up on special. Super handy for quick meals both at home and work. Really convenient for car camping as well.

Fred Meyers around here has all of the Chunky flavors on special at 3 for $4, which is a pretty decent deal local.

Here is what I did to prep......I spent the majority of last night reading this thread and various other articles around the web to start to put together a list for a set of disaster buckets. (Medical, tools, PPE, comm and power ect...) My goal is to set up enough suplies for a very basic disaster stash in about 3-4 buckets with water tight lids, and a supply of water and food. I think I can provide about 1-2 weeks worth of necessities for about $1k. Personal and family protection is already well taken care of. Here is my question, for someone who lives in a tri-level house in the suburbs where is the best place to keep the supplies?. Upstairs in the bedroom, downstairs in the closet next to the gun safe, the garage or in the shed outside? I am really new to this and just want to set aside enough to survive on if the SHTF for a week or two. This is just a start for me and I see it building over time to provide longer support or sustained support if necessary, but for now I just want to cover for an emergency. Thanks for everyone who posted in this thread, it was all very helpful in designing my supply list.

Last Edited:
Here is what I did to prep......I spent the majority of last night reading this thread and various other articles around the web to start to put together a list for a set of disaster buckets. (Medical, tools, PPE, comm and power ect...) My goal is to set up enough suplies for a very basic disaster stash in about 3-4 buckets with water tight lids, and a supply of water and food. I think I can provide about 1-2 weeks worth of necessities for about $1k. Personal and family protection is already well taken care of. Here is my question, for someone who lives in a tri-level house in the suburbs where is the best place to keep the supplies?. Upstairs in the bedroom, downstairs in the closet next to the gun safe, the garage or in the shed outside? I am really new to this and just want to set aside enough to survive on if the SHTF for a week or two. This is just a start for me and I see it building over time to provide longer support or sustained support if necessary, but for now I just want to cover for an emergency. Thanks for everyone who posted in this thread, it was all very helpful in designing my supply list.

If you haven't already found out about them, check out Gammaseal bucket lids. Watertight but easy to open & close. Best price I've found for them so far (once shipping is added on) is a 7-pack on Amazon.

It depends on the structure of the house, but one general rule of investment/savings also applies to prep supplies (which are a form of savings); disparity. In the context of where to keep the supplies, dispersing the supplies to several different places is not a bad idea.

Unless the outside shed is a secure shed, I would not put the supplies there unless you intend to somehow bury or hide them. Outside sheds are often the target of thieves who will steal anything not bolted down - also, rodents can get into those sheds and destroy supplies.

If you haven't already found out about them, check out Gammaseal bucket lids. Watertight but easy to open & close. Best price I've found for them so far (once shipping is added on) is a 7-pack on Amazon.

Thanks, those are similar to what I was going to use, but Amazon is better pricing.

Unless the outside shed is a secure shed, I would not put the supplies there unless you intend to somehow bury or hide them. Outside sheds are often the target of thieves who will steal anything not bolted down - also, rodents can get into those sheds and destroy supplies.

I was worried about putting it in the shed because of theft. It is lockable, but not really secure. My thought on it was that it would be outside the rubble zone if there as an earthquake or other disaster that damaged the house. I was thinking maybe putting the buckets into something like an old truck bed steel box that locks. I have seen old truck boxes on Craigslist pretty cheap.

I wouldn't think that discrete unmarked buckets would be a real theft target. You could probably hide them in plain sight unless they're clearly labeled "valuable survival preps". Dribble a little paint down the side and you probably couldn't give them away.

Last Edited:
I wouldn't think that discrete unmarked buckets would be a real theft target. You could probably hide them in plain sight unless they're clearly labeled "valuable survival preps". Dribble a little paint down the side and you probably couldn't give them away.

Making your valuable preps look like nothing but someone's leftovers from a painting job... Absolute genius.

My wife bought toilet paper in bulk from Amazon and now we have enough wipe for two earthquakes, one EMP event, and a two-week kegger.

Do not underestimate the power of Mexican food my friend - beans and dairy products can wipe out a supply of toilet paper in short order.

I get mine at Costco, and when I run out of one 24 roll package (out of several others), I get two more at Costco. When I put up shelves in the shop I will be getting yet more.

Final ppreps for rainy season; cover slash piles, de-moss roof and clean gutters, seal cracks in driveway...

I have one small brush pile I need to cover this weekend. It is mostly hardwood and brush that is now plenty dry, so I need to cover it so I can burn it when the burning season is open again and it is safe to burn. I don't think next week will do it - probably well into November.

Gotta clean the gutters. Driveway is in good shape though.

Placed an order for 20# of fatwood, a dozen belt clips for the Baofengs (couldn't order less than 12, and we already broke 2 anyway), a couple of fresh pairs of insoles for my man's plantar fasciitis and a tourniquet for the trauma kit.

edit: Went for a 4 mile walk. 2x around the pond/marina here in Reno.

Last Edited:
Purchased nice 12" 20170924_201305.jpg KaBar knife at the Albany show and more 10mm mags for my Ruger 1911. Upgraded my shotgun to a Beretta 1301 tactical 12 gauge from MSG (a member and vendor here on NWFA. Pick it up Tuesday.

Making your valuable preps look like nothing but someone's leftovers from a painting job... Absolute genius.
Yes... much better than writing "recycling/copper" on the side.:D

I really need to reorganize my work shop. I realized that I have a lot of good tubs, buckets and shelf space full of worthless old painting supplies etc. that could be used for prep storage.
Anybody got an extra round to-it I can get?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top