JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Starting to consider what kind of/how many seeds to order for next Spring & Summer.

Reports from Puerto Rico are saying some folks there could be without electricity for a few months. If we wind up in that position, we'll need to be able to get through a Winter and then grow enough food for ourselves and some others, since delivery infrastructure might be down.

Purchased nice 12"View attachment 393403 KaBar knife at the Albany show and more 10mm mags for my Ruger 1911. Upgraded my shotgun to a Beretta 1301 tactical 12 gauge from LSG (a member and vendor here on NWFA. Pick it up Tuesday.
Now I have to find the time to go exercise it!!
20170925_192404.jpg

Last Edited:
Ordered a new 50W ham mobile rig yesterday and then ordered a mobile antenna for it. Nice thing is I should be able to at least listen to CB band too.

Still considering what to do for base antennas. I am surrounded by 100' fir trees. I am going to try to put it up on a pole at the peak of the house - maybe 30' high - and see what I get from there.

Worst case, I could maybe hire someone to top one of the tallest trees that is close enough to the house, and have them put the antenna there. Hoping I don't have to do that though - even though it would probably work fairly well.

I have a friend that keeps all his gold coins in sealed food bags underneath his cats litter inside the litter box itself. NO, this is not what I do, but it is super smart. I've seen his cat's litter box. No one is going to go sifting through those turds looking for Kruggerands.

We did the up a tree thing on my uncles property down on the Alsea river. He can hit repeaters in Silverton and Macminville :cool:

That is why I am tempted. Being on a mountain with an antenna in a 100'+ tree would get me some good range at 50W.

However, hiring someone to go climb a tree, top it, and then install an antenna would not be cheap. No way I would do it - I am going to have enough problems putting up a pole against the back of the house.

Plus, the plan is to move in 3 to 5 years when I retire.

We'll see - if the antenna on a pole is adequate for now, then I will wait until I move to do the tree thing.

A straight wire and or j pole can be snaked up with para cord.

My straight wire feeds my scanner or PL600. I get channels from Cuba, Australia, China, etc. My j pole is on a 20' 2x4; it feeds my ham radios. I talk to Salem, N.Plains, MT Hood, Eugene, Sisters, Mill City...all on hand helds..

Addendum; I've seen j poles leaning against the attic wall. Omni-dir.

That is why I am tempted. Being on a mountain with an antenna in a 100'+ tree would get me some good range at 50W.

However, hiring someone to go climb a tree, top it, and then install an antenna would not be cheap. No way I would do it - I am going to have enough problems putting up a pole against the back of the house.

Plus, the plan is to move in 3 to 5 years when I retire.

We'll see - if the antenna on a pole is adequate for now, then I will wait until I move to do the tree thing.

Also...If you have fencing around you might can use that....tap into it and if it goes for some distance...

Also...If you have fencing around you might can use that....tap into it and if it goes for some distance...

No fencing.

There is a really old rusty barbed wire fence on the back property line about 5-600 feet away that you can barely find even if you go looking for it, and there is only about a tenth of it even recognizable as a fence.

It occurred to me today that a person could suspend a pole and/or vertical antenna from a line strung between two or more trees. I know that you can suspend wire antennas/etc., but I am thinking a commercial multiband vertical pole antenna.

I will have to look into wire antennas too - not sure how to do multi-band wire antennas without putting up multiples and then you get into the cost of the feedline/etc.

Got the set today. Very compact, the faceplate will fit a number of places in the car as will the power unit itself. I need to get a power connector adapter though - not the same as what my power supply has.

Just got my Bianchi X16 shoulder holster for my Walther PPK/s. Absolutely love it. The mag holders are a little tight right now but should stretch with mags in them. Also bought a Winchester XPR in .270 for $258 after rebate - couldn't pass it up even though I have a Remington 700 VTR in .308. Not a lot of ballistic difference except with the 130 grain .270. I just always wanted a .270. Also bought some Federal Fusion .270 to feed it. On sale with $2.50 rebate per box. Today was a very good gun day! (Yes, I posted on two threads - just so happy)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top