JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Made an improvement.

On tap right now:

Shock Top

IMG_0304.JPG

Received some Amazon goodies, a gill net and some snares that their marketing dept thought would be a good idea if I bought together ;) Emergency Essentials had FD refined beans #10 cans on sale last week for $8, so I ordered 4 and received those yesterday also. Hit Costco the day before and picked up about a year supply of detergent and lots of wine :D

Ordered another 1000 gallon propane tank for our BOL. Why another 1000 gallon tank? Let's do the math. A propane tank can only be filled to 80% of it's volume capacity. Therefore, a 1000 gallon tank will be filled with 800 gallons of propane. For a variety of reasons, our propane company recommends filling the tank when it falls to 20% of capacity. So a 1000 gallon tank provides about 600 usable gallons of fuel to the generator.

The 27kw QuietSource generator burns 2.2 gallons of fuel/hour when run at 50% load, so the 600 usable gallons of propane should last for about 270 hours, or slightly more than 11 days. Since it could take a a while before a propane truck could replenish our fuel supply, we figured a second was needed. There is no point to installing a system like this if it runs out of fuel in an emergency. And yes both tanks will be underground :)

Received some Amazon goodies, a gill net and some snares that their marketing dept thought would be a good idea if I bought together ;) Emergency Essentials had FD refined beans #10 cans on sale last week for $8, so I ordered 4 and received those yesterday also. Hit Costco the day before and picked up about a year supply of detergent and lots of wine :D

Ahhh! Beans, soap and wine, Angie? Your hubby is a lucky guy!!! :)

Ordered another 1000 gallon propane tank for our BOL. Why another 1000 gallon tank? Let's do the math. A propane tank can only be filled to 80% of it's volume capacity. Therefore, a 1000 gallon tank will be filled with 800 gallons of propane. For a variety of reasons, our propane company recommends filling the tank when it falls to 20% of capacity. So a 1000 gallon tank provides about 600 usable gallons of fuel to the generator.

The 27kw QuietSource generator burns 2.2 gallons of fuel/hour when run at 50% load, so the 600 usable gallons of propane should last for about 270 hours, or slightly more than 11 days. Since it could take a a while before a propane truck could replenish our fuel supply, we figured a second was needed. There is no point to installing a system like this if it runs out of fuel in an emergency. And yes both tanks will be underground :)

Wondering if it might be worth your while to think on a battery bank. Then theoretically, you'd only need to run the gen to recharge the bank, or for large power consuming appliances/equipment.

Quite the investment, I'd imagine at half that size, ...but it could stretch your fuel to perhaps months. Dependent of course, upon your power consumption.

Wondering if it might be worth your while to think on a battery bank. Then theoretically, you'd only need to run the gen to recharge the bank, or for large power consuming appliances/equipment.

Quite the investment, I'd imagine at half that size, ...but it could stretch your fuel to perhaps months. Dependent of course, upon your power consumption.
We have some solar plans in the works with a decent battery bank, but we have to clear some trees first.

Also this generator is amazingly quiet, this is the video that made me buy it

Last Edited:

Unless there is a medical or other compelling reason to run the genset 24 hrs per day, I simply would not run it that often. Maybe 4 hrs per day to keep the fridge/freezer cold, get water pressure from the well, and charge some things, but otherwise turn it off. I lost power a couple months ago when we had that wind storm, for about 36 hours, and everything in the fridge and especially the freezer, were just fine. I made do with the water that was in the water heater and in the pump pressure tank for that time too.

Caught another mouse.

Tried an MRE packet - hashbrowns. A bit spicy but okay. Winco has the individual packets (not the full meal) for less than $1.50 or so. The chocolate brownie was good. Thing is these just don't do well in a hot car; they will last about 6 months, and they are heavier then FD food. I don't see the benefit over canned food.

True. If stored in a temperature-constant environment (basement, cellar, etc), MRE's can last for decades. However, I DON'T recommend them for long-term storage. They're great for what they were designed for: Compact meals with all the accessories needed for one meal, designed for hi-stress environments. However, they take-up a lot of space, relative to the actual food in each individual unit (compared to dehydrated, or even regular canned food), which consists of a lot of packaging, inside of packaging. And all the accessory stuff is stuff we should already have in our larders, anyway.

Like you, I'd stick with just regular canned food and the good old #10 cans of the dehydrated stuff. Also, Australian and New Zealand companies (like Red Feather) can just about everything, such as ready-to-eat REAL cheese, butter, bacon, etc. Not that you shouldn't have a case, or two of MRE's. They're great for those situations when you may be doing other things, post-collapse (the interstate rescue mission in Jim Rawles' Patriots comes to mind).

I don't have any MREs, I just wanted to try them. I have enough FD meals to allow my family to have them in a GHB or for patrols/etc. - otherwise I would just have canned and dry food. It never gets cold enough in my house for them to freeze, even without heat (and I have a woodstove), and canned food stays good for a lot longer than most people think if stored properly.

Do you have experience with cathotic protection?
You will need it if you are burying tanks of anything. Depends on the soil you have but you could run into a lot of leakage by burying your tanks with soil touching them.
Maybe build a concrete vault for them?
Zincs from the boating industry can help but good mastic and plenty of cushioning of some kind between the rocks/dirt and the tank are best.
Heavy paint ain't gunna cut it.
:DYou'll tank me later for this;)

Installed a Dashcam system in my van front and rear. That's the what I did to prep part and then ...

Was driving through downtown Portland last night at 1am after seeing Alien Covenant movie.

Alien wasn't half as scary as downtown at 1am. Groups of thugs roaming around. All the corner garbage cans tipped over and garbage floating in the streets. Homeless everywhere. Three camped out in a nice restaurant's doorway and the food trailer area across the street looks like a war zone. (SW 2nd/Stark or whereabouts)

A group of about eight thugs were walking over two parked cars. Right out in the open on Front Ave; could have been their cars I guess. Pounding their chests and yelling.

Before the movie I stopped at a Chevron station on SW 4th (only 10pm at that point) and a group of thugs cruised through there also shouting obscenities and threats to everyone in their path. When I mean yelling I am talking as loud as possible. The gas station attendant seemed truly scared.

Sadly, i believe I need a more substantial carry.

I'm not the paranoid type, but I certainly know danger brewing when I see it. Downtown looked like Biff's alternate 1985.

If I didn't know better it looked a lot like bubblegum has already hit the fan.

Installed a Dashcam system in my van front and rear. That's the what I did to prep part and then ...

Was driving through downtown Portland last night at 1am after seeing Alien Covenant movie.

Alien wasn't half as scary as downtown at 1am. Groups of thugs roaming around. All the corner garbage cans tipped over and garbage floating in the streets. Homeless everywhere. Three camped out in a nice restaurant's doorway and the food trailer area across the street looks like a war zone. (SW 2nd/Stark or whereabouts)

A group of about eight thugs were walking over two parked cars. Right out in the open on Front Ave; could have been their cars I guess. Pounding their chests and yelling.

Before the movie I stopped at a Chevron station on SW 4th (only 10pm at that point) and a group of thugs cruised through there also shouting obscenities and threats to everyone in their path. When I mean yelling I am talking as loud as possible. The gas station attendant seemed truly scared.

Sadly, i believe I need a more substantial carry.

I'm not the paranoid type, but I certainly know danger brewing when I see it. Downtown looked like Biff's alternate 1985.

If I didn't know better it looked a lot like bubblegum has already hit the fan.

...and summer hasn't even begun yet...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads