What did you do today to prep?

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by coctailer, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu
    PDX OR
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Ahhh! Beans, soap and wine, Angie? Your hubby is a lucky guy!!! :)

Angie likes this.
  2. Camelfilter

Camelfilter
    Salem
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Wondering if it might be worth your while to think on a battery bank. Then theoretically, you'd only need to run the gen to recharge the bank, or for large power consuming appliances/equipment.

Quite the investment, I'd imagine at half that size, ...but it could stretch your fuel to perhaps months. Dependent of course, upon your power consumption.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  3. uscsoldier

uscsoldier
    Salem, OR

We have some solar plans in the works with a decent battery bank, but we have to clear some trees first.

Also this generator is amazingly quiet, this is the video that made me buy it

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    MrMillspecer and Camelfilter like this.
  4. The Heretic

The Heretic
    Oregon

Unless there is a medical or other compelling reason to run the genset 24 hrs per day, I simply would not run it that often. Maybe 4 hrs per day to keep the fridge/freezer cold, get water pressure from the well, and charge some things, but otherwise turn it off. I lost power a couple months ago when we had that wind storm, for about 36 hours, and everything in the fridge and especially the freezer, were just fine. I made do with the water that was in the water heater and in the pump pressure tank for that time too.

5. erwin643

erwin643
    Vancouver, WA

True. If stored in a temperature-constant environment (basement, cellar, etc), MRE's can last for decades. However, I DON'T recommend them for long-term storage. They're great for what they were designed for: Compact meals with all the accessories needed for one meal, designed for hi-stress environments. However, they take-up a lot of space, relative to the actual food in each individual unit (compared to dehydrated, or even regular canned food), which consists of a lot of packaging, inside of packaging. And all the accessory stuff is stuff we should already have in our larders, anyway.

Like you, I'd stick with just regular canned food and the good old #10 cans of the dehydrated stuff. Also, Australian and New Zealand companies (like Red Feather) can just about everything, such as ready-to-eat REAL cheese, butter, bacon, etc. Not that you shouldn't have a case, or two of MRE's. They're great for those situations when you may be doing other things, post-collapse (the interstate rescue mission in Jim Rawles' Patriots comes to mind).

Camelfilter likes this.
  6. The Heretic

The Heretic
    Oregon

I don't have any MREs, I just wanted to try them. I have enough FD meals to allow my family to have them in a GHB or for patrols/etc. - otherwise I would just have canned and dry food. It never gets cold enough in my house for them to freeze, even without heat (and I have a woodstove), and canned food stays good for a lot longer than most people think if stored properly.

erwin643, Camelfilter and Sgt Nambu like this.
  7. mjbskwim

mjbskwim
    Salmon,Idaho
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Do you have experience with cathotic protection?
    You will need it if you are burying tanks of anything. Depends on the soil you have but you could run into a lot of leakage by burying your tanks with soil touching them.
    Maybe build a concrete vault for them?
    Zincs from the boating industry can help but good mastic and plenty of cushioning of some kind between the rocks/dirt and the tank are best.
    Heavy paint ain't gunna cut it.
    :DYou'll tank me later for this;)

8. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer
    Portland
    Completely Out of Ammo

Installed a Dashcam system in my van front and rear. That's the what I did to prep part and then ...

Was driving through downtown Portland last night at 1am after seeing Alien Covenant movie.

Alien wasn't half as scary as downtown at 1am. Groups of thugs roaming around. All the corner garbage cans tipped over and garbage floating in the streets. Homeless everywhere. Three camped out in a nice restaurant's doorway and the food trailer area across the street looks like a war zone. (SW 2nd/Stark or whereabouts)

A group of about eight thugs were walking over two parked cars. Right out in the open on Front Ave; could have been their cars I guess. Pounding their chests and yelling.

Before the movie I stopped at a Chevron station on SW 4th (only 10pm at that point) and a group of thugs cruised through there also shouting obscenities and threats to everyone in their path. When I mean yelling I am talking as loud as possible. The gas station attendant seemed truly scared.

Sadly, i believe I need a more substantial carry.

I'm not the paranoid type, but I certainly know danger brewing when I see it. Downtown looked like Biff's alternate 1985.

If I didn't know better it looked a lot like bubblegum has already hit the fan.

9. Camelfilter

Camelfilter
    Salem
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

...and summer hasn't even begun yet...

Sgt Nambu and mjbskwim like this.
  10. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu
    PDX OR

To quote, Robert Ruark, "Use Enough Gun!";)

brokenarrow likes this.
  11. abu

abu
    australia

Built my first fully solar powered aquaponics system. Cached another 1000 rds of .22

12. Srbasbol2

Srbasbol2
    Colville, wa

Just got the transfer case fixed on the old dodge.. able to switch into 4x4 now after a couple of years of putting it off. Great peace of mind. Put some gear back in the truck in case of slides or downed trees blocking path to work. It's been pretty sloppy on hwy 25 on the way to work.
    Picked up an old fishing boat a couple of weeks ago, a 16' aluminum. Now it's all prepped for fishing. Heading out with the wife and kids later today.

13. Srbasbol2

Srbasbol2
    Colville, wa

IMG_0495.JPG Fished today with the wife and kids in the new old boat. Steamed two, brining the other 6 for smoking tomorrow. Prob vacuum seal and freeze 4 and make a cream cheese smoked trout dip with the other 2 tomorrow. These are my first keepers in Washington. Much tastier than the farmed rainbows I'm used to in Los Angeles county lakes. Fun day. If that didn't count as prepping, I also rotated 20 gallons of stored gas into my newly fixed ramcharger.. half of a tank, it has a 40 gallon tank. I'll rotate the other half of my storage next time I get down to half tank in the rig.

14. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu
    PDX OR

Nothing much, just rotated the winter clothes and water out of the vehicles. Had my truck serviced, it's 15yrs old so......fully synthetic oil! It doesn't smoke, passes DEQ and the year old oil in the crankcase was very clean, still! Bad news? That stuff is $9.00 a quart!!! :mad: Aarggg! :eek:

Caveman Jim and Oathkeeper1775 like this.
  15. Oathkeeper1775

Oathkeeper1775
    NW Oregon
    VINCE AUT MORIRE Bronze Supporter

Had to breakdown and have new tires installed on the "money pit".

295k+ miles on er; she's gotta last until next Spring....

16. sheepdogs

sheepdogs
    La Center, WA

Swapped out my water storage :)

17. Howard1955

Howard1955
    Dallas, Oregon

Picked up a used Country Living grain mill.

IMG_0560.JPG

IMG_0561.JPG

18. The Heretic

The Heretic
    Oregon

Got 60 road flares - i.e., 10 six flare kits. Walmart had them on sale for $11 per kit.

One (or two) each for the two trucks, two for the kid's cars, one or two for starting fires in slash piles, and then the rest are for replacements.

When I bought some flares a while back I had a bit of sticker shock; I can remember when I walked into car parts stores and bought them for 20 cents each - or less - in a big pile in a bin. But that was quite a while ago.

Howard1955 and Sgt Nambu like this.
  19. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu
    PDX OR

Um.......dude! That was a long while ago! :eek:

20. The Heretic

The Heretic
    Oregon

seems like yesterday.

Yeah - there was this combo gas station parts store on n. Portland Rd in Salem that had all kinds of stuff. I still remember other parts stores having them too. Last time I looked no one had them.

$11 for 6 is not a bad price though, especially since they came in a canvas bag for each kit.