JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello everyone who has made it to this thread! I just hoped to gain a bit of insight into this strange new compound that threatens my trust in that tasty blue LocTite that I've known and loved for years as a 17 year veteran of parts hanging and battles mostly lost with the red version.
This new stuff is orange, comes in a cute little pillow, and was included with a very expensive scope mount along with a very plainly stated warning of disastrous results and loss of liability should I not use their included wonder product called "VC-3 Vibra-Tite".
I've heard amazing things about American Defense Manufacturing, and now I find myself a little hollowed out. How can blue LocTite be such an evil sin in such a common application? And if their orange stuff is that good, in all honesty I want to save it and use blue LocTite anyways. That little orange pillow has enough goo in it to lock up a few thousand ring screws, and I only got to bind up 8 of em.
Anyone have any tech on this conundrum I'm in?

image.jpg

Update:
After going for a loose and dry run that usually gets me into trouble anyways, I noticed the screws were a bit stiff coming out. I immediately went to chalk it up to getting suckered by big brand hype and the letdown of poor manufacturing until the consistent binding was revealed by white(?) patches on the threads. More questions, less hope in getting to taste the newly found orange wonder product today…

image.jpg

Ive been there with something similar....
My only opinion is if the recommended accessory is something I can buy again independent from the product, and reasonably affordable. If so then fine I will use their super duper recommendation just because I paid for it.

VC-3 Vibra Tite

Ive been there with something similar....
My only opinion is if the recommended accessory is something I can buy again independent from the product, and reasonably affordable. If so then fine I will use their super duper recommendation just because I paid for it.

VC-3 Vibra Tite
Thanks, Koda.
God how I love Amazon!
Well that sure kicked my crisis out of conundrum mode. Now I'll just take my chances with the "overapplication" assuming the white stuff is actually the orange stuff once it has dried up. And ADM pre-applied it because they're just that good. 😂

Hello everyone who has made it to this thread! I just hoped to gain a bit of insight into this strange new compound that threatens my trust in that tasty blue LocTite that I've known and loved for years as a 17 year veteran of parts hanging and battles mostly lost with the red version.
This new stuff is orange, comes in a cute little pillow, and was included with a very expensive scope mount along with a very plainly stated warning of disastrous results and loss of liability should I not use their included wonder product called "VC-3 Vibra-Tite".
I've heard amazing things about American Defense Manufacturing, and now I find myself a little hollowed out. How can blue LocTite be such an evil sin in such a common application? And if their orange stuff is that good, in all honesty I want to save it and use blue LocTite anyways. That little orange pillow has enough goo in it to lock up a few thousand ring screws, and I only got to bind up 8 of em.

View attachment 1870034

And ADM pre-applied it because they're just that good.
Gotta admit their heavy handed warning seemed a little pretentious for the job at hand, but you never know what some engineers will drum up. At least you can assure you'll have their warranty and can get more anytime later if needed.
Im guessing for what you paid for the mounts they could have just included an actual $5 tube of it instead of that wasted pillow thing.

Fun fact: you shouldn't use any threadlocker on ring screws. Degreased surfaces and proper torque will hold a scope for eternity.

Regarding their hatred of blue loctite: runny loctite (all loctite really, but less so with vibratite) increases torque values quite drastically. Folks use the blue stuff and torque to normal spec which often causes damage because torque values are for dry threads. Most threadlockers increase torque by up to 20% (so if you torque to a specified 25 in-lb max with the blue stuff, you're actually applying up to 30 in-lb.

Fun fact: you shouldn't use any threadlocker on ring screws. Degreased surfaces and proper torque will hold a scope for eternity.

Regarding their hatred of blue loctite: runny loctite (all loctite really, but less so with vibratite) increases torque values quite drastically. Folks use the blue stuff and torque to normal spec which often causes damage because torque values are for dry threads. Most threadlockers increase torque by up to 20% (so if you torque to a specified 25 in-lb max with the blue stuff, you're actually applying up to 30 in-lb.
Interesting, maybe this is the reason they specify a very specific threadlocker....
Maybe they tested this and want to give the most consistent and strongest torque.

I just use what's recommended.
Vibratite works better if it's not globbed on.
I poke a hole in heavy paper, stick the threads through, smear on some VT and pull it through wiping off the excess.
Let it set and send it.

The Warne mount I just installed states to not use threadlocker at all.
It can cause the steel inserts to back out instead.

The Warne mount I just installed states to not use threadlocker at all.
It can cause the steel inserts to back out instead.
I forgot about Warnes steel inserts, iirc thats to reduce corrosion between steel screws and aluminum rings?

Theres more to this than it seems...

"The combination of inert/non-reactive amorphous resins creates a tough, semi solid layer inside the threads of a mated joint. VC-3 damps the vibrational energy transferred between the threads of a mated fastener, preventing fastener loosening and loss of clamp load."

Gotta admit their heavy handed warning seemed a little pretentious for the job at hand, but you never know what some engineers will drum up. At least you can assure you'll have their warranty and can get more anytime later if needed.
Im guessing for what you paid for the mounts they could have just included an actual $5 tube of it instead of that wasted pillow thing.

Im thinking a viscous coating on a thread dramatically relieve slipping tension and double or triple your static hold, and this product is trying to mitigate that issue with the elastic micro barrier.

I'm trying it out tonight.

Unlike loctite that has to be cleaned off before reusing the screw the VT does not and can be reused.

Great for grip screws and such that get removed for maintenance or whatever.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top