JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Got my 8-year-old daughter over the fear of recoil with a family member's HK USP replica BB gun. So funny seeing her shoot a full-size 'pistol' but it was heavy enough (2 lbs) to mask ALL (100%) of the recoil. After she became apprehensive about her BB rifle (cheek weld bumped her face), I've been trying to find a solution to move things forward. Success!!

Got my 8-year-old daughter over the fear of recoil with a family member's HK USP replica BB gun. So funny seeing her shoot a full-size 'pistol' but it was heavy enough (2 lbs) to mask ALL (100%) of the recoil. After she became apprehensive about her BB rifle (cheek weld bumped her face), I've been trying to find a solution to move things forward. Success!!

"To each his own", but for me, watching and coaching young shooters are the BEST experiences at the range.... listening to old timers is a close 2nd.

Thanks for sharing!

Payday, so I put some more cash in the safe, and added to the retirement plan. Also saw that emergency essentials has a one-day sale, large can of FD shredded chicken for $24.99. Buy two and get free shipping. Ordered some of those 115 hour candles also for $2.99. Sale ends tonight on the chicken.

Found some extra wheels for my van for the purpose of mounting snow tires for next fall. I always have needed a tire shop to swap with only one set of wheels; now I can swap them out at home myself if need be.

Ordered an inline hose filter to get ready to replace water barrel supplies. Every 1yr - 18 months.

Ordered a large 5v USB power brick/battery.

Have a tiny lawn, but two mowers have died on me so I finally went to a push mower, old school. I want a nice looking lawn after SHTF.
LOL. Anything that doesn't require power but still functions well is a yes in my book.

Found some extra wheels for my van for the purpose of mounting snow tires for next fall. I always have needed a tire shop to swap with only one set of wheels; now I can swap them out at home myself if need be.

Ordered an inline hose filter to get ready to replace water barrel supplies. Every 1yr - 18 months.

Ordered a large 5v USB power brick/battery.

Have a tiny lawn, but two mowers have died on me so I finally went to a push mower, old school. I want a nice looking lawn after SHTF.
LOL. Anything that doesn't require power but still functions well is a yes in my book.

Good to see you back Burt.........

Found some extra wheels for my van for the purpose of mounting snow tires for next fall. I always have needed a tire shop to swap with only one set of wheels; now I can swap them out at home myself if need be....

Nice! Especially if situation arises & you need em on "rite now".

Schwabs will do the swap for free if mounted. Dunno if you have to be a customer or not...

We were a customer of there's just once, the first time we had lived out here...8 or so years back, half a dozen or so vehicles ago...

They did the swap in the winter, then back again earlier in this month. Also pulled a few screws out of one of the all seasons & patched it...no charge. Easily saved $100+ on just the swapping back & forth since we've been back here.

I just bring a decent book, and set aside the time I'd be crawling all over the shop/outside in the foul weather (my truck won't fit in my garage...) to catch up on some reading.

Want to save some more $? Keep your lookout on the Craigslist for decent winter tires. Have picked up almost all of our studded's off there & probably have saved $1000's by now. Takes some time, usually if folks are moving etc and don't want to haul 'em or there going to warmer climes'.

Yep - exactly. I picked up a set of winter tires off Craiglist for $100. Nokians, like new, they were just selling their truck and didn't want them. Nice stud tech - the springed studs retract into the tires under the pressure of asphalt contact so they last much longer.

Les Schwab rotates for free when you have bought the tires from them, but not otherwise. Smart place, they know to give you a free deal and them stick it to you later. My friend calls them 'smiling pirates' - "Thanks for checking my brakes, and selling me all new rotors I really did not need."

For new tires, I use TireRack. They shipped right to various shops and negotiate a fixed install fee.

When my wheels started coming off my car on the freeway I decided to finally get a Torque Wrench. Lesson learned. When your life is on the line don't trust someone else to do something right. Geez I have idiot friends :cool: "I know they were pretty tight ....."

Kept pulling over to finger tighten them because the spare socket was the wrong size, fun evening. Why I am still alive who knows.

Always considered any quality tools as a great life investment. With or without a trigger. Torque wrench just never made the list.

I didn't get much done in the way of preps today. Though I did replace the springs with Wolff brand type on three 30-round M1 Carbine magazines, loaded them up, and clipped two of them together simply for the giggles.

View attachment 357493
Giggles?
I would put something on the bottom magazine to protect the top of that mag, so that you can get into the dirt with it (like some cardboard & tape). I was trained old-school as an Infantryman: Always in the prone position. This standing / kneeling around in body armor - crap doesn't work for us civilian Survivalists.

Is there some sort of angled-clip so that both mags can face upwards? It would make for faster reload, too.

Giggles?
I would put something on the bottom magazine to protect the top of that mag, so that you can get into the dirt with it (like some cardboard & tape). I was trained old-school as an Infantryman: Always in the prone position. This standing / kneeling around in body armor - crap doesn't work for us civilian Survivalists.

Is there some sort of angled-clip so that both mags can face upwards? It would make for faster reload, too.

I removed the clip on the mags and am sticking with 15-rounders in general. I'm not sure if there are clips that angle them, though I vaguely recall seeing them like that somewhere.

On the topic of combining mags, looks like Audie Murphy taped two 15-rounders. There is some photos of one he gave to a friend during the Watts Riots here. I found it interesting, so thought I'd pass it along. Cheers. :)

Well this week, this prep wasn't directly related to preparedness, but I'm in the process of replacing the door speakers in my End-of-the-World Truck: My flat coyote-painted 1990 Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel. Replacing the rusty 27 year-old paper cone speakers with modern three-way polycarbon speakers.

However, with the door panel removed, I'm also taking advantage of this by painting the inside of the door to match the outside paint, for a better overall tactical effect (nothing shiny/reflective). Also, I'm installing more adhesive-backed heat & noise insulation to the passenger side door, to remove even more road noise and improve the interior acoustics.
House in back of truck.jpg

I removed the clip on the mags and am sticking with 15-rounders in general. I'm not sure if there are clips that angle them, though I vaguely recall seeing them like that somewhere.

On the topic of combining mags, looks like Audie Murphy taped two 15-rounders. There is some photos of one he gave to a friend during the Watts Riots here. I found it interesting, so thought I'd pass it along. Cheers. :)

Went there and saw it. Pretty groovy. Looks like he used some sort of plumbers (?) tape (bothers me that in the documentation though, the guy referred to the mags as "clips."). As for me, I'll just stick with the Mech-Tech carbine conversion upper for my Glock 17. 9mm +P+ is roughly the equivalent of .30 Carbine.

Talk about a collectors item!! I agree. A true American hero.

Bug-out (light) to Eastern Oregon; including but not limited to load out, dry camp, radio surveillance, try to be somewhat of a human being in a very windy and dry environment, and shooting lots and lots of sage rats (lots).;)

Planted 5 of the raised beds with bush beans today( 400-450 seeds.) The tomatoes went in Friday. I wrapped the cages with clear plastic for the next several weeks. This has been a crazy weather year and I do not want to gamble and loose them.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top