JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
whats the shelf life on that stuff ?

Well, looks like it's not exactly survival food! Mine reads use by 06 MAR 2014! I bought it last week! LOL!!! Looks like BTP's (peanut butter) tomorrow. Jokes on me, I'm usually more careful about this stuff. Oh well, I generally think "indefinite" anyway!

I picked up an inexpensive sheet steel handgun security cabinet at Sportmans Warehouse today. As a gun safe, not so much, but as an ammo safe, perfect! It will bolt to the studs in my closet, perfect! This will free up space in my larger, fireproof, ammo safe for cameras and lenses which will free space for my rifles etc in my gun safe! Yahoo!

Well, today's prep consisted of talking with my apartment manager- we went to a gun shop Saturday, compared notes and he fell in love with a Hi Point 45 <broken link removed> and while it's the most ugly thing on this planet, it also has an enviable reputation of reliability. He was terrified of buying it- even at $180 cash/debit he was afraid of how far up his tush his wife would insert it.

So I asked him how THAT went since I'd shanghied him from the wife on Saturday. SHE WANTED HIM TO BUY IT! Huh. Now ain't that a peach?

Meanwhile, I had been looking at the Ruger Mark III pistols and the prices are all over the dart board. Online? 329.
Sportsman's Warehouse over in Federal Way? $379. Stopped off at Mary's Pistols near 38th & Taylor in Tacoma- Dan quoted me $315.

Getting prepped is a lifestyle; I interviewed for a job yesterday and was hired (part time/subcontractor) and that'll provide enough money for the 2 firearms I want to get: Hi Point's 45 Carbine, and that Ruger Mark III (Or maybe I should look at Brownings Buckmark?)

But having the 45 carbine will let it work with the M1911A1 by Rock River Arms as a matched set. The Calico Liberty II in 9mm has commonality with the CZ75B in 9mm so I'm good on that.

I have a Ruger 10/22, and I've got a Heritage SAA in 22LR/22MAG but it takes so long to load and clear the cylinder.

No mater what you think about inexpensive firearms- the Heritage 22LR/22MAG (Cylinders swap out to change caliber) for $300 it's sure accurate- I can put all 6 rounds into a "Zombie holding girl- his Fist" at 10 yards shooting from the hip- once I practiced enough using muscle memory.

I had my fire wood stacked right next to the rock fire pit in the yard. I moved the wood one set away which gives me enough room to hide behind it if some 'yotes come in for the chickens.
My neighbor accused me of getting chickens just so I could shoot predators
How dare him:s0155:

Wife picked up a small jar pressure cooker for cheap. Brings her up to 3 pressure and one water bath. I Bought her a Fanny Farmer decades old cook book for Valentine's Day and she is loving it. Bread, rolls, bacon wrapped chicken, molasses sweetened oatmeal cookies that are amazing, all sorts of old recipes using healthy (ok, maybe not the bacon) ingredients). Am still looking for full time work so last serious prep expenditure was for a couple of packs off BBs about 60 days ago. Came oh so close to a decent job in Westport area, but alas, no dice.

Brutus Out

I started my vegetables in starter trays yesterday. More than 250 individual plant starts. I used "light warrior" starter mix and mychorrizol mix in each hole.

I picked up two types of seed potato's and some shallot starts as well as two more sheet heaters for under the starter trays today. I still have to plant the echinacea and chamomile and I need to pick up s couple more types pf pepper seeds.

Um...no

Besides being ugly....being poorly made and assembled with a lot of moving parts I have yet to find a Hi-Point that I could say was "reliable".

Well Mr. Riot, some of the experts disagree with you: Hi-Point Pistols: Basic But Oh So Reliable!

And Hi Point .45 JHP and Counterpoint: Kevin Smith Re-Reviews the Hi-Point C-9 | The Truth About Guns

So I must lovingly disagree with you. I do agree to the extent they are inexpensively made- which is quite different than "cheaply made".

My neighbor accused me of getting chickens just so I could shoot predators

Funny how that works. Coyotes have great institutional knowledge passed on to each other. We have chickens and I can see the coyotes trying to smell in the location in a bit better, but every couple of years, one of them gets close enough ( inside 300 yards) and I whack them. That takes care of the coyotes for a year or two. They come in at night of course, but do not stay around,and are real nervous. They will not move though in packs at all.

Another benefit of chickens.

The neighbor throws out all food remains,not just veggies. So the gulls and crows hang around and tear the "compose pile" up. The crows hide the food in the grass where our dogs find it.
I took a long shot at a crow with my airgun,and there hasn't been a 1 around since
They don't sit in my yard any more.

When I lived on a pear, apple orchard up in the Hood River area years ago, there was a huge black cherry tree that every year was loaded with fruit.
The dang crows would arrive and decimate the crop before I could even get a handful when they turned ripe.
Up in the attic of my house was an old moth eaten mountain lion rug. The mount had glass eyes and the vicious snarling open mouth.
It was my wife's idea to drape the pelt up in the cherry tree across some limbs to scare the crows away.
Man did it work. The crows went nuts and after a couple of days, they high tailed it to the neighbors fruit trees.
The bluejays could've cared less, and they worked extra hard at eating every last one before the crows returned.

I got a bunch of scrap lumber lastyear and made my chicken coop.
This year I finally bought chickens.
Then Quail.I got a wine rack from a local merchant that converted easily to the hutch
Then I got more chickens monday. 5 died,probably a combo of shipping and a little on my end from lack of heat.
Anyway since I got a refund from the dead chickens ,I went and bought 6 more.
I have 21 now.Probably 90% pullets.
I'm running out of scrap lumber for nesting boxes.
A lady dubbed the chicken hoarder was at the store ,she said it's a sickness
How do I get feed without seeing the chicks?

I cut up and split some firewood.

With a good saw it doesn't take long to cut up the wood, and if the wood is soft (most of it is fir, some is maple) and relatively small diameter (one foot) it is pretty easy to split. I would figure a person with a chain saw could cut, split and stack enough wood for a week in a an hour or so - if they weren't out of shape like me.

It doesn't take much wood if the stove is efficient and the house is well insulated. Mine is. My next house will be even better - I intend to design it (to a degree - the general design then have an architect do the details) and have it built.

Today was the first day of experimenting with a new drug (for me) called "Glucimine" to replace the "Lantex" insulin shot's I have been taking now for 1 year, 3 days. Trust me- even one F'in shot a day gets to be a drag- and the VA has me hooked up to a nifty computer called a "Health Buddy" which is like a mini-doctor to take my vitals every day. If I don't report in for a few days, the Veterans Admin sends out some of their special police to make sure I'm still alive. Well, it's made for an interesting day- my blood sugar started out at 140, had 4 slices of pizza and (measured) 40 ounces of coffee and with the 6 TABLESPOONS of sugar it shot up to 276. Injected 4 units of fast acting insulin, walked a measure 8/10th's of a mile with the dog, and checked it again- it was down to 176. Futzed around right before 5 PM and it was down to 140, and I just took it and it was down to 115.

I'm trying to learn how I can mix sugar and hard work in such a way that the sugar fires up the body but the work burn's it off so I don't burn up my kidneys and liver. Anyhow- I've been blowing through test strips today trying to gleen some kind of understanding. Ideally a person's blood sugar should be between 70 and 120/140 (Depending on which "expert" who's doing the talking)

After 6 months of talking about moving to Mena, AR the wife finally put together some arguments that A)We should move but only rent for a year B)We'll have to see about new doctors and stuff. Well, there's some valid arguments for doing it that way- rent would be 1/2 the cost for one. So we might do that.

I ordered the flash card set from the ARRL's website for my Amateur Extra license- wasn't cheap, $51.50 but it has all 702 questions. Of course when I took one of the practice exams I FINALLY passed (rolls eyes- figures!)

Check out cinnamon.My buddy used to take a tea spoon before he went to the doctor to get checked. Said it lowered the BS.
And food is like medicine for us,if we are not normal. Sugar is like poison to diabetics. Find an alternative

Doctors? Heal thyself. Reminds me of a story from around here a couple years ago.. a couple's car got stranded in the snow for a couple of weeks. They had very little food but made it out. They were worried they'd die when their many prescription drugs ran out but when they were checked out by medical after their ordeal, they were found quite healthy and no longer in need of any of their medications.
It really is what you put in your body. Either die/suffer or change.

Check out cinnamon.My buddy used to take a tea spoon before he went to the doctor to get checked. Said it lowered the BS.
And food is like medicine for us,if we are not normal. Sugar is like poison to diabetics. Find an alternative

Do NOT eat cinnamon dry by itself.

Mix it with something wet.

Repeat, do *NOT* eat cinnamon dry by itself.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads