JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not sure if this count's towards daily prep or not- but does someone make an MP3/4 player for old people that take's little energy that we could store our favorite songs on "just in case"? Or should I just dump that idea and stick with the shortwave?

And today's prep arrived in the mail- I just opened it. The ARRL Amateur Advanced Instruction Manual arrived today with a DVD with all 800 questions on it. It was like $30 for the book and $12 for shipping. Heavy monster- I see lots of skull work in my immediate future.

I've had my ham license now for 15 year's- KD7KBG is my call sign- and I've been on the air exactly once as a civilian and that was for all of 5 minutes. But it's a nice thing to have "Just in case" ya know?

Even getting your no- code tech license is easy to do now

Not sure if this count's towards daily prep or not- but does someone make an MP3/4 player for old people that take's little energy that we could store our favorite songs on "just in case"? Or should I just dump that idea and stick with the shortwave?

And today's prep arrived in the mail- I just opened it. The ARRL Amateur Advanced Instruction Manual arrived today with a DVD with all 800 questions on it. It was like $30 for the book and $12 for shipping. Heavy monster- I see lots of skull work in my immediate future.

I've had my ham license now for 15 year's- KD7KBG is my call sign- and I've been on the air exactly once as a civilian and that was for all of 5 minutes. But it's a nice thing to have "Just in case" ya know?

Even getting your no- code tech license is easy to do now

You can get a solar charger for an iPod that's about the size of a mouse pad. It'll keep you rockin'... just make sure to keep the REM song "It's the End of the World As We Know It" on your playlist for irony sake...

There are a bunch of HAM licensed users around here. I've had my Tech license for a year now, but have only been on the air a dozen or so times. It's fun. There are some interesting nets that take place.

At some point I have to make time to fix my J-Pole so I can try to connect to some of the Oregon repeaters. (I'll get there Coastrange57!)

So what have I done this week to prep?

Got all the parts for my second AR15 build and promptly traded it for a Norinco MAK 90 +3 Mags. Since I already had an AR, and didn't have an AK 47... now I can test the two together and beat them up side by side for a decent comparison and draw my own conclusions. I'm setup to reload both calibers so we'll see!

OH! While I was vacationing up the Washington coast with Mrs. Thompson for her Umpteenth annual 29th birthday (Love you sweetie!) I found a really good reference on edible wild plants of the Northwest at Lake Quinault Indian Reservation. I'll share the title when I dig it out of the RV! I've been looking for a decent guide on what to eat and what not to eat in our forests!

Bought a new bolt carrier group for one of my ARs (it was having some feeding/extraction issues) and some 5.56 and 9mm at Curt's Discount Shooter's Supply, and some 12 and 20 gauge buckshot & about $30 worth of canned food at Bimart, to add to the SHTF supply.

Also, I talked to my kids (ages 5 and 7) about the importance of prepping. They are into all the zombie stuff, and I told them zombies aren't real, but we need to be ready in case anything bad does happen, and gave them examples of what could go wrong (like the heavy snow of two weeks ago) and how we can be ready to deal with it.
I've been playing the video game "DayZ" a lot while collecting Workers Comp, and they like to watch. A big part of the game is spent scrounging for food and water, and weapons, while avoiding zombies and other players, who are competing for resources or killing for fun. Gives them an eye-opening idea of what things could be like if the situation gets REALLY bad.

Wife and I was out goofing off- we finally got a nice spring day here in Tacoma- and I stopped off at Borner's firearms there in Belfair off Hwy 16. (Wifey Poo stayed in the car with the mutt) Anyhow, was holding up this Ruger Mk III- brand new- and they wanted $329.00 cash. Is that a reasonable price? They did say they'd throw in a box of .22LR if I got it.

I don't have a .22LR pistol except a Heritage SAA. It's very accurate but its so sloooowwwww.

I do not think you would have a problem with anybody that frequents this board, but visitors can instantly look up your address when you post your call sign.Just saying...

I have had a couple of contacts on here, any of us could get on the linked repeaters and talk.

I do not think you would have a problem with anybody that frequents this board, but visitors can instantly look up your address when you post your call sign.Just saying...

I have had a couple of contacts on here, any of us could get on the linked repeaters and talk.

True- but, the current address of my license is not my physical location and I don't go on the air, nor am I mobile. As far as anyone looking me up on Spoko or other tracking software I'm not too worried- the NRA signs in the windows that says "Trespassers will be violated" should clue them in. I've got more video cameras with on sight and off sight recording both IR, License Plate and regular- that even the village idiot would think 3 and 4 times before doing something stupid. In the past 3 years, we've had 3 different car prowlers who thought they could beat the system and each was in jail within 72 hours.

I'm safe! :)

Received three OD, 4mag shoulder pouches from Midway USA today. These are for friends or neighbors as needed.

Oh yeah, mounted two scopes and switched around two others on rifles this evening.

Last Edited:
Might cut up some firewood today.

Yesterday I stopped in Big 5 and got a new pack for my vehicular GHB. They had/have the CamelBak Cloudwalker on sale for $50 (about $10 cheaper than anywhere else). It is small capacity, but that is what I want, something just large enough to carry water, food, shelter, FAK, FSK, alcohol stove and a few other things for couple of days - enough to get me home from the general area, or down out of the woods when exploring on my dirt bike. Something light that I can move fast and far (or as fast/far as my old bones will carry me, which isn't very fast or far - but having a light pack helps).

I had to dig around in their selection to find one that was forest green.

OK, so I picked up 300 rounds of .380 hollow points. 50 rounds of 12 ga. 00, 50 slug rounds, 3 leather lg auto high hip holsters and a beautiful rock island M5 nickle 12 ga. All were gifted to me and will be used in memory of the old Jar headed Marine that felt I needed them.
Prepping? That's the foundation that is laid down for events unseen in the future.

And also,, to a friend here on this site that has extended his hand (you know who you are), thank you. We'll make it happen soon buddy.

Picked up 300 rounds of M855 bringing my total to 840. XM193 at 680. My plan is 2,000 rounds of XM193 and 1,000 rounds of M855, picking up 200 - 300 rounds each pay period. Then as I shoot the XM193 for practice to back fill and then reload with a bullet yet to be determined based on how well it works with my rifles. Also topped off my gas cans, and went to Costco to look at bulk food items like rice and salt. Been spending time reading prepping 101 at the prepping journal: Prepping 101 Archives - The Prepper Journal

I had to break off my scope swapping project to go to Fishermans for a set of taller scope rings for 50mm OBJ Lens. Bought Burris. Also two Blackhawk 30rd mags for $11.99 each.

I have been stocking up on Oscar Meyer fully cooked bacon, the ones in the no refrigerator needed packaging. I'm pretty good at leaving what I store alone, but I tried one tonight. Oinkelicious!!!

Last Edited:
I had to break off my scope swapping project to go to Fishermans for a set of taller scope rings for 50mm OBJ Lens. Bought Burris. Also two Blackhawk 30rd mags for $11.99 each.

I have been stocking up on Oscar Meyer fully cooked bacon, the ones in the no refrigerator needed packaging. I'm pretty good at leaving what I store alone, but I tried one tonight. Oinkelicious!!!

whats the shelf life on that stuff ?

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads