JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One of the kiddos has a growing interest in bushcrafting and general outdoorsiness. So we've been geocatching for navigation, finding fat wood in old Fir stumps. Starting fires in the northwest damp with a ferro rod and only what we can find in the woods. Made some charcloth, hunt for flint, teach her how to free hand sharpen a knife. We set up a ridgeline and tarp camped in some 25ish deg weather. Alot of the basic skills that can only really be understood through practice. For me preparedness is a bit to focused on buying and hording stuff and Ive fallen into that trap plenty of times. Now I'm more interested in figuring out how to more with the absolute minimal amount of gear. That takes some hard earned knowledge and time.

Seafoam snakes

I dunno, Seafoam worked wonders on my Jeep.
1608528080502.png

I always enjoy the "what are you preparing for...(list of possible problems)" as if they are different. Go read history, if you can find an honest, factual history book (OK, even I couldn't say that with a straight face, history is written by the winners for the losers to read). Go look at what happens to the libraries when things go south. Alexandria? The catholic church has admitted they looted it and burned it to cover their tracks, later the Spanish Inquisition did the same thing for the same reasons. China? The Emperor had all books destroyed so all history started with him (an educated man wrote the whole thing from memory later so it was preserved, like the "Book of Eli"), the list of countries and libraries destroyed is endless.

No matter what causes the problem(s) the end is always the same. Famine, war, disease, the strong/lucky/better prepared (which generally means "strong/lucky") take over and we have another "Dark Age", then things get "better" and we rebuild.

Hey guys, I really appreciate all of your input and replied. You all have some really interesting outlooks. I did purchase an outback, and am lifting it tomorrow based upon some of your suggestions. An off-road capable vehicle is very important. So thanks for the advice.

With that said I have a question here. My wife and I are now considering a generator purchase. We have 2 kids so will be getting 2400$ with the stimulus money (that we will all pay for later).

I am strongly split between a gas or solar generator. I was able to talk myself into a 150$ discount for the jackery 1000 battery bank and 2 panel combo. Total cost of that kit is 1450$. I'd be able to silently produce a low amount of power completely off grid. It also isn't noisy.

I've seen some Honda generators at sportsman. I probably don't need a badass one so let's say I get one for 1000. Discount brings it to 950$ I would need to keep fuel around for it, and it would make a bunch of ruckus I am sure. With it making noise hungry, horny, thirsty and otherwise desperate other humans could be drawn to my family and I with nefarious intent.

Would you buy a gas or solar generator and why? I cannot make up my mind one way or another.

Gas gen for "normal" disruption, where security hasn't gone complete WROL. Be it simply neighborhood watch etc. Short term. ie weather/minor recoverable event. Reasonable to assume return to normalcy in weeks to months.

Enough fuel to cover immediate NEEDS (fridge, freezer, well) if run intermittently. Consider a weeks worth on hand. Goes with an assumption that fuel will be available, either at a premium, or long wait (likely both). Again tho, this is for "normal" disruption.

Solar to have minor conveniences if assuming no return to normalcy...unless one has a very well thought out complete off grid system already.

Oh, and adding.

Off highway vehicles are nice. If you enjoy exploring off highway as is.

Thinking that you'd be able to "get away" by "running" somewhere off highway, without a destination? Fail.

Using off highway skills etc to get to a known destination? Could be a win. By no means a guarantee...

At least having a vehicle to jump curbs, cross uneven medians etc easily & safely? Also a possible win.

I've always thought those that snickered at "preppers" as foolish, I mean do you take solice in being unprepared? Having a cache of items to get you and your family through a rough time only seems prudent to me.

Most of my friends now have done the same and confide they feel they should have begun putting away items sooner...YMMV

If nothing else 2020 has been a wake up call, so there's at least one benefit to 2020.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top