JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I remember reading about this. Well, ain't no cell phone service here and don't watch much TV. Maybe they call the land line or I get an email???

I wonder if some of those illegals/getaways that come across our southern border would take advantage of the test? :(

Not to worry because in a real nuclear war they would be calling to say goodbye.

Russia has built shelters for its citizens, America hasn't. You are on your own.

Why are people getting so upset over this? It's just a test and if you really don't want to hear it, they told you exactly what time it's going to happen, so you can turn off your phone for a couple minutes to avoid the massive inconvenience.

I bet you'd get equally as pissed if the system didn't work during a real emergency because they never tested it.

WTF?

Why are people getting so upset over this? It's just a test and if you really don't want to hear it, they told you exactly what time it's going to happen, so you can turn off your phone for a couple minutes to avoid the massive inconvenience.

I bet you'd get equally as pissed if the system didn't work during a real emergency because they never tested it.

WTF?
Apparently some of those knickers are more easily twisted than others :rolleyes:

I'm ready to turn my phone off all day because I'm not interested in hearing the god awful shrieking for the fun of it

$34 trillion in debt yet not a single bomb shelter for the masses. I suspect the test is to see who would still listen to that bunch after covid. :confused:

Screenshot 2023-10-01 at 9.12.12 PM.png

Bunch of different cops were in town yesterday to use the relatively new school campus (complete rebuild 2 years ago) for a day of training.
Didn't bother to ask but I assume our local store is COMPLETELY out of donuts till tomorrow. Test and training exercises are mostly bull***t with a budgeted expenditure of resources.

Bunch of different cops were in town yesterday to use the relatively new school campus (complete rebuild 2 years ago) for a day of training.
Didn't bother to ask but I assume our local store is COMPLETELY out of donuts till tomorrow. Test and training exercises are mostly bull***t with a budgeted expenditure of resources.
Hope they never figure out how good crumble cookies are.... :D There is a special on tommorrow with my favorites.

Just perfect for a coffee and cookie as the test plays out. Russia is testing to but they have bomb shelters to go to.

If we aren't supposed to respond, how do they know what fraction of the population they have reached?

Well, I don't have a cell phone, don't do text messages, and don't have a tv. Have a land line. Would guess at least 50% odds I get the alert anyway, forwarded by the LINN County Sheriff's Department Emergency services. Don't even live in LINN County. Just live within a few miles. Benton County doesn't have any such alert system, as far as I know.

If we aren't supposed to respond, how do they know what fraction of the population they have reached?
My suspicion is since they can now bypass your location settings with this, they can pinpoint the coordinates of your cell phone at will, then tally that as a "hit" tied to your cell number. They also know how many cell phones, tablets, Chromebooks, etc are sold. Work out the math and they just keep tapping them until they get the response that makes them feel successful; Oct 4, 5, 6, 7...

May not matter if you turn your device off (or wrap it in foil) on Oct 4, since they can hit it over and over again at will if they want to.

Maybe you should record it and save it as your new ringtone. 😂 That won't be annoying at all, right?

My suspicion is since they can now bypass your location settings with this, they can pinpoint the coordinates of your cell phone at will, then tally that as a "hit" tied to your cell number. They also know how many cell phones, tablets, Chromebooks, etc are sold. Work out the math and they just keep tapping them until they get the response that makes them feel successful; Oct 4, 5, 6, 7...

May not matter if you turn your device off (or wrap it in foil) on Oct 4, since they can hit it over and over again at will if they want to.

Maybe you should record it and save it as your new ringtone. 😂 That won't be annoying at all, right?
@OldBroad44 already said she doesn't own a cell phone... :s0092:

I'm not one of the ones who is against the test. I'm just saying that unless they get a positive response from recipient they don't know recipient got message. Just because someone sends an email or text message doesn't mean anyone reads it. Or that it's not a kid who reports the message to no one. If this is a test, what result would mean success or failure? If they say its a success just because they sent a lot of messages to a lot of cell phones, with no responses from anyone saying they received the messages, the results are meaningless.

The Linn County emergency alert system gives you the message, gives you a number to call for updates and to report anything relevant, and asks you to press 1 to indicate you have received the message. They keep calling until you respond. You can ask to be dropped off their notification list if you would prefer. They seem to call about once a year as a test. And there have been a couple of real events they notified me of. One lost kid. One missing hunter.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top