JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Funny thing about those phones, they are used to find out so much we want to know. Yet they are used to find out everything a spy in your pocket can tell. Are they worth it? :s0140:

I don't know the name, because I've never installed it. :s0140: Hang on, I'm sure I can look it up.

Edit: WEA is apparently built into phones now, but you can opt out, usually in the Notifications section of Settings.
I've never installed it either. But I have the notifications off on my phone. But I know people who had their notifications off and the alert still went through. That still doesn't explain why it didn't come through on the computers, especially since one of them is owned by the .gov.

I've never installed it either. But I have the notifications off on my phone. But I know people who had their notifications off and the alert still went through. That still doesn't explain why it didn't come through on the computers, especially since one of them is owned by the .gov.
My goverment computer didn't get it but my goverment iPhone did

If the goal is to notify everybody on every device they need to work on it a bit (and probably spend another billion or two)

Cell phones--one android, one iphone, both Verizon--went off on schedule.
Sirius XM, couple of Fire tablets, TVs and desktop computer---crickets.

In my phone, it's under Wireless Emergency Alerts. I have the option to turn off all WEA or just certain categories.

Does anyone have the full spec for what devices were to be notified? I guess I should be googling that about now to not be a hypocrite.

I can tell you, if it was intended to come over my work laptop, it would have. It did not.

I shut everything off, but left a backup android phone on. On power up no residual alerts on anything and the android phone never went off either.

That said... my cell's are all of the anon prepaid type. I don't see how that would matter if signals are going out to any phone attached to a tower, but mine still remained silent.

If it had... I think @Loc had the right idea. Rather than clicking any confirmation I woulda just power cycled to clear it. I kinda doubt it really matters though. I'm quite sure there would be an auto receipt confirmation packet sent from the phone itself when the alert message was received.

I shut everything off, but left a backup android phone on. On power up no residual alerts on anything and the android phone never went off either.

That said... my cell's are all of the anon prepaid type. I don't see how that would matter if signals are going out to any phone attached to a tower, but mine still remained silent.

If it had... I think @Loc had the right idea. Rather than clicking any confirmation I woulda just power cycled to clear it. I kinda doubt it really matters though. I'm quite sure there would be an auto receipt confirmation packet sent from the phone itself when the alert message was received.
When it was received, when it was viewed, when it was dismissed, how it was dismissed, location information for all events and the entire content of your Contacts list. :)

When it was received, when it was viewed, when it was dismissed, how it was dismissed, location information for all events and the entire content of your Contacts list. :)
Said jokingly.... but you never know what the powers that be are capable of... despite what the privacy laws say. It seems "policy" these days ia, "Do it anyway. The worst that can happen is someone finds out and we have to issue an apology... eventually... but we still get their data."

The phone I left on has nothing on it but did a factory reset the other day just for good measure. I was just curious, but turned out to be for naught. Nothing came through, anyway.

I wonder.... those phones don't come with default 911 service. You have to "opt-in" to enable it. Since I don't, I wonder if those systems are somehow related and why kamala's alert didn't come through(?)

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews