JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Said jokingly.... but you never know what the powers that be are capable of... despite what the privacy laws say. It seems "policy" these days ia, "Do it anyway. The worst that can happen is someone finds out and we have to issue an apology... eventually... but we still get their data."

The phone I left on has nothing on it but did a factory reset the other day just for good measure. I was just curious, but turned out to be for naught. Nothing came through, anyway.

I wonder.... those phones don't come with default 911 service. You have to "opt-in" to enable it. Since I don't, I wonder if those systems are somehow related and why kamala's alert didn't come through(?)
Only the last one was joking, and only half joking. I'm quite sure they got the rest.

If the phone is old enough, it won't have EWS installed on it, and can't get the alert unless you manually install an app. I don't think it has anything to do with the 911 service. It doesn't use that stream.

Always practice before it gets real.

Russians are running one on the 3rd of Oct.

Only the last one was joking, and only half joking. I'm quite sure they got the rest.

If the phone is old enough, it won't have EWS installed on it, and can't get the alert unless you manually install an app. I don't think it has anything to do with the 911 service. It doesn't use that stream.
Wait.

There was a Drill?

:s0032:

My smartphones are newer, but not sure what EWS is. All I know is when you activate it with the provider the first time you get a pop-up saying their service is outside the 911 system and requires you to "opt-in" to enable it.. or maybe register your phone with the 911 system(?) Maybe that activates the EWS feature(?) I don't have the foggiest how that all works, but I never opt-in.

If newer phones come standard with that capability, I'm sure my phones already have it. They are just standard (non provider) factory unlocked android phones.

Maybe it makes no difference with kamala's alert... it's just the only thing I could think of that might be different than other peoples phones and possibly why I didn't receive any alerts.

.... on the other hand... mama always did used to tell me I was "special". 🤣

I was at the dog park when the alert went off a couple of us pulled our phones out hit the ok button and put our phones back in out pockets. Nothing more, nada, zip.

My smartphones are newer, but not sure what EWS is. All I know is when you activate it with the provider the first time you get a pop-up saying their service is outside the 911 system and requires you to "opt-in" to enable it.. or maybe register your phone with the 911 system(?) Maybe that activates the EWS feature(?) I don't have the foggiest how that all works, but I never opt-in.

If newer phones come standard with that capability, I'm sure my phones already have it. They are just standard (non provider) factory unlocked android phones.

Maybe it makes no difference with kamala's alert... it's just the only thing I could think of that might be different than other peoples phones and possibly why I didn't receive any alerts.

.... on the other hand... mama always did used to tell me I was "special". 🤣
No, as I said, EWS and 911 service are completely separate things. EWS is the Emergency Wireless System, which handles the national emergency alerts, which was what the test was about. It pops a message up on your phone (not a text message) with an alert on it.

The 911 app is to help route you to the correct 911 center if you need to place a call to 911. You'll still be able to reach a 911 call center without it but are theoretically less likely to reach the correct one for the emergency services that are physically nearest to you. You might have to wait while you are transferred to the correct call center.

Anti-climactic is right! So many apocalyptic predictions over the years that never turned out, I've grown weary of them...and I say this as a writer of a pandemic-based apocalyptic trilogy! 🤣

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top