JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
OracleOfDelphi.jpeg

Seems to me an ideal situation for LR shooter / wannabee snipers to volunteer and do some ultimate hunting.
Yea but then there is that whole "wannabe" thing. That's doesn't change once $hit hits the fan. Haha. They will stay where they are comfortable and still talk tough. If they wanted to be a sniper they would be a sniper. Hahaha.

Since potential use of nuclear weapons is now under discussion once again after an absence of 30 years, I think digging a bomb shelter might be of more use where I live.

I intend to take the possibility of a nuke attack into account when I build my next house/shop
Yup...I am thinking about somewhere not near a major city (or at least not in the bomb radius) or agricultural area. Other than military installations, those are the two most targetted.

Then again, do I really want to live in a Nuclear Wasteland? Not sure to be honest.

A point I saw brought up is that the ideal place to be in terms of overall survival is Africa since far less bombs are pointed there and they have a pretty good food production base. Then again, not the most appealing place from a law and order standpoint not even counting that we would be foreigners in their land.

Yup...I am thinking about somewhere not near a major city (or at least not in the bomb radius) or agricultural area. Other than military installations, those are the two most targetted.

Then again, do I really want to live in a Nuclear Wasteland? Not sure to be honest.
Just to put that bomb radius in perspective...
I believe it was during the 1970s that the federal government did a full-scale analysis of a nuclear bomb blast over the City of Portland, ostensibly to better understand the potential impacts from a catastrophic Mt. Hood eruption. If memory serves, everything between downtown Portland and Hillsboro was anticipated to be obliterated in one second. Of course, a much larger impact area when you consider blast and fallout. You might want to consider locating a long, LONG way from a major city...

The problem is that even our own nukes are sometimes not as precise as would be preferred, and let's say someone like N. Korea lobbed some at us. Nukes dropping in the general area of a target might be 50-100 miles off the intended target - drop/deploy warheads too soon or too late.

If a nuke hit downtown Portland, I would probably be ok where I am at, but if one dropped short, and/or to the side, then maybe not.

If they drop a nuke I hope it lands directly above my house. I'll turn to pink mist. Easy. Pain free.

You never know the strategy of your enemy. He may go for killing the population at which point several nuclear bomb would hit each city. Or he may go for the head of the snake and destroy a government.

If you knew when the nuke was comming then you might survive in a hand dug trench or maybe pull the cover off a man hole and get in.

Survival after that gets real tricky because you won't have any news or help at all.

With all due respect (and full realisation that I am in the 'group' as well :oops: ) having met a bunch of you I can say without much doubt that if a long life is what you desire cutting out fast food, stopping smoking, regular exercise and weight loss are probably going be immeasurably more helpful to reaching that goal than a bomb shelter and going all Jeremiah Johnson
[h3][/h3]

Awesome video. Young Ukrainian men and women taking defense of their country into their own hands. Surprised no responding gunfire to be heard, and couldn't help but note the spillover from the "cocktail" into the car (!). I hope that if and when the day comes, hopefully never, but if it does that our own young men and women will show this much courage and bravery in defense of the United States.

Maybe it's time we rename a "Molotov" cocktail to a "Zelensky" cocktail.

With all due respect (and full realisation that I am in the 'group' as well :oops: ) having met a bunch of you I can say without much doubt that if a long life is what you desire cutting out fast food, stopping smoking, regular exercise and weight loss are probably going be immeasurably more helpful to reaching that goal than a bomb shelter and going all Jeremiah Johnson
[h3][/h3]
This. It's much easier to focus on things out of our control than to change the things in our control. One takes work. The other only takes fear.

I don't smoke or drink (alcohol) and I mostly eat decent food (maybe every couple of months I grab a couple of tacos when in town).

But exercise? No, outside of cutting/splitting/stacking firewood or other chores, I don't do much and when I do something strenuous I have to take breaks. I can't walk far and sometimes need a cane to walk at all. I am already past the point of no return in that respect. I was foolish when young and seriously tweaked my back - between that and my heart/lungs, I am a decrepit old man.

I do want to prep such that my daughter has a better chance of surviving.

With regards to surviving a nuclear war/etc., vs. wishing immediate extermination - I want the choice/chance to survive. If at that point I find living to be so bad that I don't want to try, then I want that choice, and I can probably choose to end it on my own terms, and not on someone else's terms. YMMV.

[h3][/h3]
I have had a long life and enjoyed a great deal of it. My health is pretty good after a lifetime of hard work and I hoped to enjoy retirement for some years. Unfortunately it's been interrupted by my government's release of covid but still getting things done I enjoy. It's the way we survive here, deal with the problems and move on.

I have had a long life and enjoyed a great deal of it. My health is pretty good after a lifetime of hard work and I hoped to enjoy retirement for some years. Unfortunately it's been interrupted by my government's release of covid but still getting things done I enjoy. It's the way we survive here, deal with the problems and move on.
Remember what I said in that other thread? Well . . . :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads