JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This thread is to provide others with other viewpoints on preparing and how best they can prepare themselves and their families.

What are you folks preparing for? An economic disaster, nuclear, political perhaps? Is it a red dawn type scenario or more of a slow burn such as the great depression 2.0? What else?

What are some of your strategies to navigate those disasters?

The scenario I find my family and I preparing for is a general supply chain collapse issue, which can be caused by a variety of things. I find the previous post in this forum about water super interesting. Thought provoking for sure.

We are preparing in much the same way as most I am sure. We of course have some guns. We have prioritized mobility though and have a complete backpacking set up for each of us. I believe humans are the greatest threat and will try to be as far away from others as possible. With kids though thats tough to do. We are also finally starting to use our health insurance and make changes to our health. I was pre diabetic with other health issues and my wife was anemic. I've lost 85 lbs and my wife has started eating more iron and vitamin c and we are both more capable of hiking far away from others in case of SHTF.

Our Achilles heal in the plan though of course is the kids. We may be able to hike out and hang out with the sasquatch for awhile on our own, but our 2 and 3 year old can't walk more then a mile. The only way around this is to buy a more capable offroad vehicle and equipment to breach the gates across logging roads and go up there. Does anyone else have other ideas or outlooks on that?

I'm prepared to live 'till I die....
.... After that I'm not sure, but it'll probably involves someone voting Democrat for my corpse, frequently, in several different States.
I have also given my wife and daughter a list of the faces I want my ashes blown in.

I think you are correct in fearing issues with the supply chain. The past 10 months has clearly indicated how tenuous this is. While the bug out situation is possible (we too remain prepared for an extended backpack...since we do backpack) this is a far from ideal long term situation. You can only carry so much on your back.

Last Edited:
My standard answer for this type question remains constant regardless of the cause of the scenario: interruption of systems of support. Grocery stores, power, water, fuel, etc. Causes can range from a heavy winter storm, power outages due to innumerable causes, trucking or shipping strikes, government shutdowns of business (I would have previously NEVER predicted that crazy scenario!) The end result is the same: loss of conventional resources.

Pretty much any disaster, man made or otherwise results in a supply chain breakdown. You can add WROL and lack of medical care to the list. That's pretty much the SHTF/preparedness core.

From there you branch out and determine the most likely suspects and bolt on extras based on how likely you think a particular cause would be. I think we can expect prolonged and new pandemics as a given. Politics/internal warfare is pretty close to that as well. We will find out shortly on that.

I don't see nukes as a potential since we are doing one hell of a job of destroying ourselves it just isn't worth wasting one on us. Maybe an EMP. Why eff up good land with radiation when it might be free for the taking in the near term?

Big bad natural disasters like Cascadia, the Yellowstone volcano destroying North America, the Mississippi ripping off it's net magnitude 10 quake or a huge Carrington Event? Those are reserved until we get past this round and just as things settle down...

One thing a lot of people forget to stock up on is knowledge and skills. How many of us could close the serious wound of a loved one and prevent infection? What plants are edible and which can kill? Where is the closest source of water that you might be able to filter and boil so you can drink or cook with it? How do you make a water filter with what is around you or what you can produce (like charcoal). How to use simple non-power tools to repair or build? How about being strong enough to survive? So many of us have sedentary jobs and lifestyles that our butts are bigger than our shoulders. Can you raise food with simple tools? How would you preserve it so you didn't starve to death mid winter? Do you know your neighbors and have an idea about the skills they might be able to provide your micro community even as a hobby?

Pretty much any disaster, man made or otherwise results in a supply chain breakdown. You can add WROL and lack of medical care to the list. That's pretty much the SHTF/preparedness core.

From there you branch out and determine the most likely suspects and bolt on extras based on how likely you think a particular cause would be. I think we can expect prolonged and new pandemics as a given. Politics/internal warfare is pretty close to that as well. We will find out shortly on that.

I don't see nukes as a potential since we are doing one hell of a job of destroying ourselves it just isn't worth wasting one on us. Maybe an EMP. Why eff up good land with radiation when it might be free for the taking in the near term?

Big bad natural disasters like Cascadia, the Yellowstone volcano destroying North America, the Mississippi ripping off it's net magnitude 10 quake or a huge Carrington Event? Those are reserved until we get past this round and just as things settle down...

One thing a lot of people forget to stock up on is knowledge and skills. How many of us could close the serious wound of a loved one and prevent infection? What plants are edible and which can kill? Where is the closest source of water that you might be able to filter and boil so you can drink or cook with it? How do you make a water filter with what is around you or what you can produce (like charcoal). How to use simple non-power tools to repair or build? How about being strong enough to survive? So many of us have sedentary jobs and lifestyles that our butts are bigger than our shoulders. Can you raise food with simple tools? How would you preserve it so you didn't starve to death mid winter? Do you know your neighbors and have an idea about the skills they might be able to provide your micro community even as a hobby?

I love this. We sure as hell dont know what half of our forefathers did who settled the west. You will all laugh at me, but I've been fishing 5 times and never caught a fish. I am sorely lacking that skill for sure. Do you have any good knowledge nooks you'd recommend?

Watching democrats use Trumps tried and tested Reclassification of firearms circumventing Congress if need be to ban assualt rifles. Noting Trump did it with bumpfire stocks and set forth the new blueprint. Then watch Trumps Supreme Court justices uphold it. Moral of the story rich liberals or conservatives don't want us to have guns. Only difference is liberals are honest about it. Trump had two years with full control even if he had to use reconciliation 45 vote majority in the senate he could have. To undo so much anti gun bubblegum. But he didn't he did what most greedy elites do help themselves bad other elites. He supported the first assualt weapon ban and was a New York liberal elite for 50+ years. Liberals will spend millions upon millions to ban guns. Conservatives example Koch brother do no such thing nor their friends. Until we actually get a pro second amendment president and spend what liberals do to fight them we are doomed.

Food for five years, a thousand gallons of gas, air filtration, water filtration, Geiger counter. Bomb shelter! Underground... God damn monsters.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top