JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
most fathers are gonna feed their kids no matter what it takes,so if he comes to your home asking for help and you turn him away
he just might wait in the brush for you to move by a window or out in the yard and pick ya off with his handy rifle.
I guess niceness ends when your watching your kids suffer....just saying as a dad I would still try to do the right thing but when that fails im gonna do the right thing for my kids.
There are plenty of deer,squirls,rabbits,etc,to feed people for a long time so I think outsiders just make more hunters and a nightwatchman for you while you sleep if ya all work together.
otherwise he's gonna be a threat to you and yours,crisis does that to people.

What's amusing is how the "new rural elite" in a SHTF scenario, where people are desperate enough to spread throughout the countryside like locusts, are going to be pretty damn vulnerable themselves. Most current farms and hobby farms are totally grid and fossil fuel dependent to operate even at a minimal level.

Add to that the pressures of dangers presented by "human vermin," and a whole lot of the rural folk are going to meet some gruesome fates in such a world.

That's why I am building a bullet and fire proof retreat home. I am planning for this exact scenario. You say elite, I say prepared by a lifetime of hard work

Here's one guy's version.. if there were no roll down metal door tell me how a guy with a rifle can take that if the defenders are armed and well supplied? Mine will have 12 inch re-enforced concrete cores and roof..

<broken link removed>

That's why I am building a bullet and fire proof retreat home. I am planning for this exact scenario. You say elite, I say prepared by a lifetime of hard work

Is it going to be off the grid and over a source of water that doesn't need hundreds of feet of pumping draw? Are you ever going to need to go outside? I said "elite" as a joke.

Plenty of people over the centuries have been prepared by lifetimes of hard work and the experience of actual famines, pestilence, etc. They still would get rolled by invaders, disease, and other calamities.

Preparation is fine. Thinking you have an impregnable island in a storm of chaos? That's a flight of fantasy.

Is it going to be off the grid and over a source of water that doesn't need hundreds of feet of pumping draw? Are you ever going to need to go outside? I said "elite" as a joke.

Plenty of people over the centuries have been prepared by lifetimes of hard work and the experience of actual famines, pestilence, etc. They still would get rolled by invaders, disease, and other calamities.

Preparation is fine. Thinking you have an impregnable island in a storm of chaos? That's a flight of fantasy.

Those are your words and not mine. Yes the entire site sits on a huge ancient and sort of shallow aquifer and we will be fully stocked with all supplies including firewood and not have to go outside at all for many years, once it's done. Right now we live in town

Here's one guy's version.. if there were no roll down metal door tell me how a guy with a rifle can take that if the defenders are armed and well supplied? Mine will have 12 inch re-enforced concrete cores and roof..

<broken link removed>

That thing is illusory safety for a long term problem. The smart predators with rifles aren't going to just shoot at your bunker and go away hanging their heads in failure.

Were I your local warlord, I'd use my rifles not to shoot at your bunker, but to round me up some slave laborers to dig a tunnel or three right up to your walls. Blast breaches from there and then fight the defenders via attrition because no cavalry is coming. Heck, someone could one day tow a "liberated" 105mm field gun right up to that thing and breach it within hours.

Siege warfare is not rocket science. The very weakness of a fortification is that it remains in one place for study, probing, and then opening like a can. The thing about SHTF scenarios is that no matter how good you make the defense, some guys out there will come up with a suitably horrific offense to deal with it. Small fortifications are virtually obsolete in this era of high explosives.

A square concrete bunker will be a nut worth cracking to someone who will come up with the means and will to do it.

Those are your words and not mine. Yes the entire site sits on a huge ancient and sort of shallow aquifer and we will be fully stocked with all supplies including firewood and not have to go outside at all for many years, once it's done. Right now we live in town

Those are my words, but your apparent actions. If you studied your history, you'd know full well why castles evolved from wooden structures to the pinnacle of stonework and then atrophied into the decorative palace, enjoyed a brief resurgence as brick and concrete "forts" before the armored vehicle, and now are all but obsolete.

Bunkers are busted all of the time. Lots of people know how to do it. A SHTF scenario lasting years means someone with the know how will hook up with the means to do in your bunker too. The only effective bunkers in this day and age are the ones you can't readily see. Any building that can be seen can be cracked.

Those are my words, but your apparent actions. If you studied your history, you'd know full well why castles evolved from wooden structures to the pinnacle of stonework and then atrophied into the decorative palace, enjoyed a brief resurgence as brick and concrete "forts" before the armored vehicle, and now are all but obsolete.

Bunkers are busted all of the time. Lots of people know how to do it. A SHTF scenario lasting years means someone with the know how will hook up with the means to do in your bunker too. The only effective bunkers in this day and age are the ones you can't readily see. Any building that can be seen can be cracked.

Kinda hard for a civvy with no ordinance to crack such a structure while being shot at, and I expect a limited nuke war that will kill the majority of humanity pretty quickly. Your mileage may vary

I would much rather be in the country with the good people the city folk like to label redneck hicks.
Those rednecks have always shown me that they are kind and hospitable people who will feed a guy when he's hungry and give you a place to lay your head.
more than i can say for a portlander....

You might have found "country folk" friendly (as have I btw) but that was not in a SHTF situation. You might want to read above a few posts and see Blitzkrieg's comments: in a SHTF scenario, I think you find all "folk" less than friendly, especially when scared, hungry, thirsty. Considering the many urban area in the US I'd rather be stuck in Portland in a SHTF situation than just any other large urban area. At least in PDX people can get around without cars and a good many of them are at least versed in growing their own food. Personally, the suburbs present the scariest place to be when it goes down: the 'burbanites are highly dependent on their cars and infrastructure.

Cheers,
DJM

What happens if we get hit before your prepared? Or if you cant get to it? Or your on vacation? Or someone gets there before you? OR OR OR OR....BTW your posting about your inpenetrable mansion on an open forum ..... Hope your IP is blocked ;)

Matt

Personally i have my own fortress and its not of this world....As far as feeding the needy/hungry/homeless, i think of the loaves and the fishes.

p
Kinda hard for a civvy with no ordinance to crack such a structure while being shot at, and I expect a limited nuke war that will kill the majority of humanity pretty quickly. Your mileage may vary

Just takes the wrong civvy to get ordnance. Or the right military unit working for the wrong civvy. Or one that's gone into business for itself.

the only way to survive such a deal is a heavily armed group.
you might be safe alone in your country home for a while but if you make it an us against them,im afraid them is gonna eventually win.
strength in numbers.
people take care of each other in crisis in more ways then we might think,you need to sleep sometime.it would be nice to rest knowing someone you can trust is watching the fort,bringing in food,wood,water.
also if you had to approach a stranger wouldn't you want to let him know he had 10 rifles pointed at him incase he tried to get stupid?
cover your wagons....

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top