Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Urban SHTF

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by tankballs, Jan 24, 2012.

1. tankballs

tankballs Oregon New Member

Most survival-oriented people lately have been saying that it is wiser to push into rural areas in a SHTF scenario than to stay in an urban area. I have my reservations though. Movement is likely key in any chaotic societal unrest, but it is logistically difficult. Pushing away from urban areas requires transporting stock-piles of necessary goods (ammo, food, water, tools, clothing, etc). My truck is pretty roomy, but sustaining a single person for any period of time more than 30 days requires so much more than most people can comprehend and more than a common short-bed can accommodate. Water alone should take up half of your available space (depending on climate). Is it better to be a squirrel with numerous honey-hole stockpiles of supplies or to go balls-out and lone wolf? In an urban situation, one has many more supply options available, but also more competition for those goods... After the immediate chaos blows over, how long do you stay in an urban area before bugging out? Is it better to be a scavenger or a predator, and how long?

2. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

3. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

4. armedredneck

armedredneck Oregon Active Member

5. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Anyone who thinks they are going to bug out onto my rural retreat are in for a huge surprise

6. Blitzkrieg

7. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

The gov knows of course that the economic collapse is coming. They know the people will need to be contained and controlled as they starve and die off. Just about sums it up. We've been screwing over people around the globe. Soon it will be our turn to be 'occupied' in our own country. Never before has a populace been so brainwashed and helpless. It will be pretty simple for them with 98% of the people, the other 2% maybe not so much.

8. Blitzkrieg

BTW Noisy Cow, concerning your sig line did you read about the blonde bimbo on that cruise ship's cabin when the crash happened? Makes you wonder..

9. Burt Gummer

It was the Captain's side salad.

10. armedredneck

armedredneck Oregon Active Member

Yep.

11. Hardwood floor guy

Hardwood floor guy Beaverton Active Member

I would much rather be in the country with the good people the city folk like to label redneck hicks.
    Those rednecks have always shown me that they are kind and hospitable people who will feed a guy when he's hungry and give you a place to lay your head.
    more than i can say for a portlander....

12. westcoastal

westcoastal north coast of oregon Active Member

+1000

They say he's gone postal
    Life member of
    Oregon Hunters Association
    National Rifle Association
    universalshootingsports
    bersachat
    northwestfirearms
    hipointtalk
    facebook

13. westcoastal

We are .. To a point ...

Life member of
    universalshootingsports
    bersachat
    northwestfirearms
    hipointtalk
    facebook

14. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Exactly.

Ronin19D and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Box13

Box13 Beavercreek Member

I live in a rural area and have talked to more then a few neighbors around here.None of them including me will tollerate any squaters,not now and certainly not if theres a shtf diaster.Ill have enough to deal with between family, friends and animals without having to worry about someone camped out in my back 40.Its kinda like the coyotes,you have to keep them at bay or as soon as they know you have chickens they'll be back,maybe when your sleeping,maybe when your putting up hay,but for sure any chance they can get.In a SHTF scenario no one around here is going to want anyone we dont know squating here or even hunting or fishing.Too much to loose...

16. Burt Gummer

So a starving family with a couple of infants are going to get the same treatment as a coyote? Move along or get shot? I just don't see it as being so easy. 90%+ of the people encroaching on you won't be armed intruders - or even aggressive in any manner, but helpless, starving people near death.

All for looking out for numero uno at this point, but it won't be as simple an equation as some people think it will be.

17. Boats

Boats Flicking A Switch To Open My Third Eye Well-Known Member

What's amusing is how the "new rural elite" in a SHTF scenario, where people are desperate enough to spread throughout the countryside like locusts, are going to be pretty damn vulnerable themselves. Most current farms and hobby farms are totally grid and fossil fuel dependent to operate even at a minimal level.

Add to that the pressures of dangers presented by "human vermin," and a whole lot of the rural folk are going to meet some gruesome fates in such a world.

18. westcoastal

My family first sorry... They shouldve planned ... me and mine do. So I had out to every starving family that comes by... Ok then how long before we become the starving family... Is that what im spose to do

Life member of
    universalshootingsports
    bersachat
    northwestfirearms
    hipointtalk
    facebook

Blitzkrieg and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Box13

Box13 Beavercreek Member

If its true a SHTF scenario then all bets are off.Im not saying Im not going to try and help a starving family with a couple of infants but you can only do so much before you jeperdize your own safty.There will be truly starving families and human verman and you will have to decide which is which.In the long run what you have will only last so long.A persons real value will be in what they can do or what they can get done.If you cant help with food production, procurement or storage,if you cant help maintain the animals,buildings or equipment of if you cant help with the many things needed to sustain life or securing these things from preditors then you will be a liability to me and my family.Sad as it may seem in a true SHTF scenario many many people will be in a sad state of affairs,maybe me also.I would hope enough people would band together to keep things going,some with food some with shelter some with fuel.We will need a new barter system and we will seriously need to rethink how things get done and just what those things are.If it all breaks down into marauding groups taking what ever they can by force from some other group then we will surly see a new dark age...

20. tankballs

tankballs Oregon New Member

Interesting how rosy everyone imagines this stuff going down. Think invasion. Think nuke. Think coup. Evasion means everything. How to evade? Mobility or home-steading?

borrowedsig and (deleted member) like this.