JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We had a great time, she still isn't enthusiastic about guns, but she didn't hate the experience.

With some gentle coaching, she managed to hit some targets, and learned to load and operate the 10/22 on her own.

Didn't like shooting the Uzi, or the AK-74, but I think that was mostly the weight of the guns. She is only 5' 0", 120 lbs.

2q9knpl.jpg

347zpqv.jpg

And, if at all possible, keep the armchair quarterbacking to a minimum. It's her first time, so her stance is a little off. Time and practice will help.

Let us rejoice at another shooter joining the ranks!

I loe when people first shoot they try to get as far from the gun as possible!! either way nice to see another shooter out there! nice uzi! i just got a cheap norinco one and i love it!

Awesome tell her good job. When I first went out my stance was WAY off and I had the whole neck bend thing LOL?.. I am getting better as will she, just need to get her out more so she is comfortable with the gun.

Keep it up and hope she starts enjoying it more. More women should know how to handle a firearm.

Awesome!
first time I took my ex wife shooting she was pretty apprehensive. 30 seconds into it she was grinning ear to ear. her stance was weird, but she was safe. ended up being a pretty good shot, too.

Let us rejoice at another shooter joining the ranks!

Glad it mostly worked out for you.

Taking my wife shooting was a majorly expensive move on my part. Turns out she loved it.

My son's marlin was too small for her to shoot after i had cut the stock down. My 10-22 had bad eye relief on the scope because the stock is too long, so she needed something for herself. Turns out that a 10-22 with a "pretty" laminate stock and apparently lonely and sad puppy-dog eyes or something had to follow her home from a gun show.

I've since invested in TCGC membership and no longer have shooting as an "alone time" option. On the other hand, she now totally understands my pack-rat compulsion to stock away ammunition when it's on sale. The context of understanding that 500 rounds is not an armory, but an afternoon's fun wouldn't be possible if she didn't enjoy shooting.

It has become expensive. It will become more expensive as she's starting to get comfortable with center-fire calibers. And...I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

My wife's dad taught her to shoot some so she was always ok with guns and would shoot .22's a little. Things changed when I talked her into burning down a string of water jugs with my Mini-14! Yahoo! Now she will shoot anything I bring out (.30-06, .45ACP etc.) She shoots with care and precision now. As some of the guys above have written its great to have a shooting buddy in the house. Again judicater great job by you and your wife!

Nice job. : ) A lot of long guns feel very "man sized" to a new shooter, too heavy, not used to the weight, and the stock can be too long. Plus trying to figure out your stance, leaning back is something I think every new person does at some point, and even some not so new people.

I really didn't like my husband's 12 ga Mossberg, too heavy, had to extend my arm too far to reach the fore end, and of course leaned back in order to place the unfamiliar weight over my hips. Plus not shouldering it properly left me with a couple bruises. I didn't admit defeat however and we got a cheap 20 ga compact/ youth model, much nicer with a shorter stock + less weight and recoil to deal with. Of course having a his and hers for every type of gun gets expensive real fast, but sometimes it's worth it. : D

Keep it up, once she likes guns maybe you can convince her to take some classes. Just tell her how much fun they are (when taught by good instructors of course :p). : )

I took my first (ex)wife shooting once. The mistake was bringing her back.

But seriously, you did exactly the right thing by not starting her with a magnum hand cannon or elephant rifle. Too many guys think it's a real hoot to see "the little lady" with the word Winchester bruised into her shoulder or collarbone. Then they don't get why she never wants to go again, discouraging the kids, too.

The main reason I keep a crude, inaccurate little H&R .22 revolver and some ancient .22 rifles around is to let newbies (big guys and small girls) develop a feel for loading and firing weapons without gritting their teeth and closing their eyes every time they reluctantly raise on target. A little thoughful progression goes a long way toward letting curious new shooters step up to the bigger guns at a comfortable pace. Most shooting gals I know don't LOVE the 30-06, but at least they tried it when they were ready.

Knew a barrel-chested macho guy (arrogant pantload) in SoCal who sure didn't like it when his petite wife got really good with his 12 gauge, and with his guitar! They're not married any more either.

A little thoughful progression goes a long way toward letting curious new shooters step up to the bigger guns at a comfortable pace. Most shooting gals I know don't LOVE the 30-06, but at least they tried it when they were ready.

I went shooting with my wife yesterday. We forgot to bring a magazine for her 10-22 and were about to head back home or to Bi-Mart to pick one up. I was setting up the Mosin so she asked to try that before we left. I wasn't sure, but she went ahead anyway. She, umm, well she LOVED it! It hurt, but she was laughing out loud with each shot. She probably put 30 rounds through it, which is more than enough to give me a sore shoulder.

She started with .22. Worked up to shooting .38s through a revolver. Now that she did this and loves it, the smaller loads are much less intimidating. She had to try my .45 auto after that as well.

Hee, hee.

Nice job, and good not to bring out the .460 Weatherby Magnum for her to shoot. New inexperienced shooters keep to smaller calibers.

Biggest my wife has shot is 7.62x39, she did not want to try nor did I want her to try the 300 Win Mag. She enjoys .22 and her .380

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top