JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Recommendation for my first ar15
Looks like you got the what and where worked out. Can't go wrong with PSA.

If you dont already know, I recommend making sure you know what 223/5.56 is capable of doing inside your home.

You and only you are responsible for every shot fired regardless of the situation. If you've got neighbors in close proximity, understand the risk of your home defense caliber.

Battlefield Vegas use these PSA uppers with the FN CHF barrels on their full auto rental guns because of their durability.

If you don't want to spend that much:

and then you'll have enough for a Sig/Holosun red dot, or a Primary Arms 1X or 3X prism and a few mags

Good morning to all and happy Sunday. I decided to go with the psa pa15. Bare bones ar with a 11.5 inch barrel and the brace. Does this need a stamp to be legal? Don't plan to add anything to it. It's got the poor mans sights. And for me they should be just fine. Lots to learn. Thanks again. 499.99 it will ship this week so I can change this order if my selection will not pass muster with the whistledicks of the communist regime. Gonna be another fun day learning about the ar platform and home defense world. Good times. Tnx

Good morning to all and happy Sunday. I decided to go with the psa pa15. Bare bones ar with a 11.5 inch barrel and the brace. Does this need a stamp to be legal? Don't plan to add anything to it. It's got the poor mans sights. And for me they should be just fine. Lots to learn. Thanks again. 499.99 it will ship this week so I can change this order if my selection will not pass muster with the whistledicks of the communist regime. Gonna be another fun day learning about the ar platform and home defense world. Good times. Tnx
No need for stamp unless something changes with brace rules in the future. 11.5" is a very handy size (only drawback is some loss of velocity compared to longer barrels). Nice thing about it too is because it's a pistol you can put smaller or larger barreled complete upper on it (Fe a 8.5" 300 blackout or 16" .223) without any legal issues. Don't forget to buy 30 and/or 20 round mags because if Oregon m114 restarts (likely imo) you won't be able to buy them.

Godspeed on your inbound PSA with brace.
Call me paranoid, but I was sweating bullets waiting for my BGC to go through a few weeks ago after buying a Sig P322 locally at the Sportsman's in Hillsboro. Went in after work (I work graveyard). Got put in the queue. They said call later in the day. I said I'd check back the next day. Went in before heading to work and picked it up…..

... Don't forget to buy 30 and/or 20 round mags because if Oregon m114 restarts (likely imo) you won't be able to buy them.
This, thanks for reminding him!

-looks like Palmetto State has Pmag gen2 30rd @ $8.99. Use code "PMAG".

"Free" shipping on 10+ too.

Not bad, given economy & such. Decent price point for anyone who may want to stock up.

I think that I will do some shopping for magazines and ammo today. Where should I go and what should I get. I really like shopping for all the stuff that they say that we don't need. They have their lattes and yoga matts and I have my firearms and personal views. You guys are great. Learning new things every day.

I think that I will do some shopping for magazines and ammo today. Where should I go and what should I get. I really like shopping for all the stuff that they say that we don't need. They have their lattes and yoga matts and I have my firearms and personal views. You guys are great. Learning new things every day.
Buy as many as you can get that are 10+. The end is near.

I would get either ok industries aluminum mags or magpul pmags or both.

Palmetto has a Vortex Sparc II red dot bundled with 10 pmags for $150 shipped.

Not the best dot, but should get you started.

-Mentioning such simply because I may buy for a 9mm braced pistol headed to an FFL Monday/Tuesday. Suppressor host/range toy on this one (to start).

The pmags will just go into storage for later use...We have a "bunch" in rotation & storage.

Colt or FN, hands down. There are several models of each make available. Quality, name recognition, and resale value are both very good. Buy many mags- at least 10+. OK or PMag.
'Old Colt', yes. 'New Colt' outsources nearly every part in their ARs now. No reason to spend the $1000+ price tag on them these days, imo.

To each their own, though.

Well, this just popped up in my feed. Rather timely, given the discussion.

Short version, they put a PSA upper on a registered full auto lower and put a suppressor on it to see how long it would last, knowing FA and suppressed would increase wear. They ran 3 mags at a time, then let the gun cool to ambient temp. By 6k the barrel was toast. Their summary is:
- the barrel should not burn out that quickly, so that was a concern
- it's not exactly to mil spec, but it provided surprisingly good accuracy and reliability up to about the 5k mark. After that it went downhill fast
- if you're not doing a lot of running and gunning it's an adequate platform, and in the worst case you can always send it back to PSA under warranty for repair/ replacement
- if you're going to be training heavily, probably worth getting something of higher quality
- if you had to pick between something nice and no ammo to go with it vs a PSA and a thousand rounds of ammo, they would absolutely pick the PSA and the ammo, because the more ammo you have the more you can train, and the more you train the more effective you will be with whatever weapon you have.

View: https://youtu.be/cHGtjx_2qbQ?feature=shared

Last Edited:
Well, this just popped up in my feed. Rather timely, given the discussion.

View: https://youtu.be/cHGtjx_2qbQ?feature=shared
Good timing, watched it a bit ago. Funny how he sums it up with basically..it's good for the money. Granted he only used the psa upper for the test and an m4 full auto lower. The Gas system started failing around 4000 rounds and the barrel was done at 6000.

But still, not bad for the $$. I would buy one as a cache bury.

Not being a snob about it, but I'd tend to go a bit more to the 900-1300 range. BCM can be had at $1300. Saint at $900.

Garand sums it up at 50:08 with "this is something I would recommend to someone who isn't serious about shooting"

They fired about 6000 rounds of 77gr..by my simple math that's about $5700 worth of ammo. Guntuber's have it made.

Last Edited:
Good timing, watched it a bit ago. Funny how he sums it up with basically..it's good for the money. Granted he only used the psa upper for the test and an m4 full auto lower. The Gas system started failing around 4000 rounds and the barrel was done at 6000.

But still, not bad for the $$. I would buy one as a cache bury.

Not being a snob about it, but I'd tend to go a bit more to the 900-1300 range. BCM can be had at $1300. Saint at $900.

Garand sums it up at 50:08 with "this is something I would recommend to someone who isn't serious about shooting"

They fired about $6000 rounds of 77gr..by my simple math that's about $5700 worth of ammo. Guntuber's have it made.
Agreed it's good for the price. I was surprised they were reaching out to 700 yards with it. Mine aren't anywhere close to 5k yet, glad I know what to look for now.

Yeah, there's some serious cash in YouTube content creation if you can make stuff people want to see. A buddy of mine was able to quit his job as an engineer and do it full time, nets around $10k per month, not counting the endorsements and sponsorships. It's a ton of work, but if you love what you do the grind is more bearable.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top