JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I know many of you don't trust polls but I believe these numbers are not far off from the truth. This thread reinforces that belief.

88 percent in new poll support background checks on all gun sales.

I dont trust polls but believe that ones results are true, the problem is the question they ask. Of course most people support preventing bad guys from getting guns.

But funny how they dont ask if people support registering their guns or other ways to vett buyers without registration schemes....

Ha, that was my initial thought.

I've been buying and selling some here over the last few years and like Battery, I've have had very little issue. One guy flaked on a red dot sale and that was about it. When buying or selling a gun the question was always "what FFL can we meet at". If the question was ever "can we skip the FFL" my follow up would be "hell no! Are you ATF or a criminal?", but that has yet to happen.
COULD BE BOTH :eek:

The FFL of the future.

1683093231778.png

I know many of you don't trust polls but I believe these numbers are not far off from the truth. This thread reinforces that belief.

88 percent in new poll support background checks on all gun sales.

Meh. The check itself means very little to me either way. However, I like having the paper trail for my own butt covering so if tweedle Dee sells to tweedle dum and that twatwaffle does stupid things at stupid times with stupid people, I'm not gonna face financial hardship for it. A clean 4473 is pretty good insurance in my opinion.

That's just for my private sales/purchases though. Everyone else can do what they like as far as I'm concerned

The whole OP sounds fishy to me. IOW, it stinks of over exaggerations and ranting for the sake of ranting. If it were truly that prevalent the issue would be well known to all, talked about extensively, likely some stories of law enforcement actions and the firearm classifieds shut down a long time ago for facilitating illegal gun sales.

I'm not doubting "someone" might have asked but as far as ghosting.... there are plenty of reasons for a potential buyer to lose interest. Found another deal somewhere else, the seller didn't respond in a timely manner, the seller's responses came across rather "jackholish", the buyer asked questions that the seller neglected to answer, or heck... got an answer but didn't like it...etc etc etc.

I know full well many people still buy P2P off the books, but certainly not with stone cold strangers. It wasn't that long ago since 941 went into affect and many legal to own folks have yet to normalize to the whole idea that big brother has to be involved in every transaction. "Buddy to buddy" and a 2yr statute of limitations on the misdemeanor... I mean... for some people that's a more than acceptable risk.

I'm not saying I particularly condone it, but I can certainly understand why it still happens with some frequency. It's not a practice strictly confined to those prohibited from owning a firearm any more than it used to be pre 941. Maybe a little more considering the times we live in today, but I fail to believe it's nearly exclusively only the criminal elements.

Asking a complete stranger to sell off the books... that's a new one to me, utterly foolish, and I certainly would be thinking "sting operation", too. If it's happening I have to wonder if the seller in question isn't already on LE's radar for something or other and being targeted with a sting to provide evidence.

Not insinuating anything, but the mind can wonder what is so blatantly unique about that particular seller if they are having back to back experiences like that.

Just sayin.....

Last Edited:
.....either that or the OP "is" the sting trying to get people incriminating themselves saying, "Don't worry about it! I do it all the time!!" 🤣

Meh. The check itself means very little to me either way. However, I like having the paper trail for my own butt covering so if tweedle Dee sells to tweedle dum and that twatwaffle does stupid things at stupid times with stupid people, I'm not gonna face financial hardship for it. A clean 4473 is pretty good insurance in my opinion.

That's just for my private sales/purchases though. Everyone else can do what they like as far as I'm concerned

You mean we aren't supposed to backdate a bill of sale to the day before SB941 went into effect?

Prior to I594 passing in Washington, not that long ago, you could legally buy and sell private party without an FFL as long as you weren't knowingly providing a felon a firearm.

For most everyone I ever dealt with, showing a picture ID and a CPL to match was enough.

As far as "breaking the law goes." For people who've lived without the nanny-state needing to give them permission for everything, it's excessive. It doesn't actually stop felons from getting guns, but it does inconvenience a lot of otherwise law abiding people. What it does is push law abiding citizens to increasingly care less about being law abiding.

I like to think about what freedoms existed regarding purchasing firearms in the 1780's when the Bill of Rights was inked. Thank goodness our founders didn't just follow along with every law that was ever pushed upon them.

This post is a good reminder. No matter how you feel about current laws, by using this site to conduct your business, you agree to: (classifieds rule #1):

#

1. Members must comply with Northwest Firearms rules and local, state, and federal laws at all times

It is the responsibility of all members to comply with both the Northwest Firearms rules and local, state, and federal laws at all times.

We don't like it any more than you do, but facilitating illegal activity is a great way to get us shut down. Unfortunately, we also have to err on the side of caution when it comes to legal gray areas.

This includes but is not limited to the following:
  • Buying, selling, or trading firearms across state lines without the involvement of an FFL.
  • Buying, selling, or trading firearms without a background check in states where one is required.
  • Buying, selling, or trading reloaded ammunition (even as components) without an 06 FFL.
  • Buying, selling, or trading black powder without an explosives license.
  • Buying, selling, or trading solvent traps or other components for homemade suppressors.
  • Buying, selling, or trading forced reset triggers.
  • Buying, selling, or trading bump stocks.
  • Buying, selling, or trading counterfeit items (including fakes, clones, knock-offs, etc).
Violation of this rule will result in termination of your account, period.

I'll bet OP would trade a t-shirt for his rifle.

View attachment 1415739
I, for one, would be more than willing to give a Mom a Lil' action. Alas, I'd probably short-change her and make them more angry at us.
I've done well lately meeting and completing transactions with members of the community. Only one out of several has ghosted me. One flake out of several great great folk is not something I'd raise an eyebrow over.
I also remember and miss the old days when we could meet over a beer and do business without a BGC and days of the firearm in limbo.

Background checks...
Don't care for them at all.

In any event....
As pointed out above...NWFA rules do state that all firearm laws need to be followed.

Also worth pointing out.....we do have a reporting system here...if the staff doesn't know of a problem , then it can't be addressed.
Griping about something without providing specifics to the folks who might be able to do something about it is useless.

We also have a feedback system here.
I would suggest that OP use it and explain there , why the neutral , negative or positives of the transaction or lack thereof.
Andy

I wouldnt rant I would change the way im advertising to market the type of sellers I want.
I agree. Reaching out and contacting the buyer by phone call or text goes a long way toward qualifying the buyer and solidifying the sale. Both parties are more likely to feel comfortable if they have communicated several times.

NWFA rules require me to follow the laws, not to report people who don't or who request for me to circumvent them.

My feedback is over 50, and I have yet to have a SINGLE "ghost" where someone just didn't show up (knock on wood).

Last Edited:
Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top