JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm already planning the second half to my cowboy load out…matching cartridge.44mag. I have plenty of time before I buy… and considering GunBroker for the first time (opinions/experiences here would be cool too.)

If this question is played out and nothing has changed with the QC.. then okay.. say so.

I did run a search in here about Taurus quality and found some older posts… Revolvers. Wanted to see if the consensus is about the same or if Taurus has been "doing better "?

I don't want to dismiss anyone's opinions..and I have a sense of humor so…. Send It.

I see a "new" limited lifetime warranty now… the sticker came on my little TX22

I'm intrigued by Raging Hunter 5.12" coverage under "limited lifetime warranty" as original buyer.

I like the 2 tone and pic rail on top. If I had enough time to save for a custom revolver like this but in a Ruger or Smith… I'd bet that penny would be gorgeous though.

Thank you

Seems to me that if you're considering a Taurus, buying it under conditions where you can handle and inspect it thoroughly would be the way to go. The defects I've heard about were stuff that would have been completely obvious if you got to handle the gun first. Stuff like the cylinder not even turning. I can't recall hearing about someone getting a gun that worked okay when they got it and then broke. But maybe others have and will chime in. The basic mechanics of a revolver can mostly be checked out without firing with ammo. Except whether the firing pin hits with consistent force so that it always fires. And even if it doesn't you might be able to fix that yourself easily by screwing the right screw in the grip frame in or out more, depending on gun design.

Its unlikely you will get the crisp SA or smooth light DA of a SW DA revolver. But do you want to pay an extra $300 for that? Not everyone cares all that much about it. Whatever the trigger is like when new, it will smooth out and improve a bit if you just load it with snap caps and dry fire it 1000 times.

What's in the warranty doesn't matter if they don't honor the warranty and are in some foreign country so you have no recourse. But what's a warranty worth? I figure even a good one is only worth about $100 to me. That's how much I would discount a NIB gun from a private party who has used up the warranty compared with a NIB gun I'm buying from a gun store and getting the warranty.

Taurus isn't necessarily a bad word. I've had several of their revolvers over the years and have been well pleased with the quality of them. I did have a pocket .380 that ran without problem. Just too small and snappy for me.

And I know their Beretta based semi autos as well as their 1911's have a very satisfied following. So I think it depends upon your expectations at their price point.

Do I expect S&W or Colt quality from a Taurus revolver. No, do I expect it to go bang every time and be able to hit a man size silhouette at 50 feet, yes. Do I expect it to last with reasonable maintenance, again yes. But understand these are combat/self defense weapons, not heirlooms to be passed down.

I'd not hesitate to purchase or use a Taurus revolver, single action auto or sa/da hammer fired auto.

But that's just me. I'm frugal….

I'm in the camp where I'd rather spend a few hundred more to get something made in a first world country. 500 for a Taurus or 800 for a Smith, I'm going Smith every time. However, that's because I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford that difference. For now.

I don't have a huge amount of revolvers experience, but enough to say that there is a difference in manufacturers and in my opinion, it's enough of a difference to make a difference.

That said, my understanding is that Taurus makes guns that go bang every time and sometimes that's the most important thing so if they make something that makes yer boat float, I'd say anchors aweigh

For me, I'll settle for having fewer guns but higher quality. But I really care about trigger pull. As a kid, I learned shooting handguns on my dad's SW .38sp and my mom's Colt Woodsman Target .22. Got spoiled maybe.

Inspect it, I got their tx22 with the dot mount and it has been better then my ruger. I have had a few fail to ejects but it was cheap ammo. When I put faster stuff in it it runs flawless. Handle it check it it out. If YOU like it get it.

If for your own use then reliability would be the main criteria (a Hi-point will go bang as often as a Taurus.) If pride of ownership is in consideration then I would look at used Rugers, SW's, etc. Used has already lost its value from initial purchase (new) and may be sold at the same price you paid for it.

Seems there are good ones and bad ones....I got a good one (model 66, stainless). It's got a respectable trigger, and shoots nicely. No issues here at all. Seems the course; if you can get your hands on one and look it over, chances of coming home with a good one are pretty good. For what I paid for this one new, I'm very pleased. It's a quick choice between a Taurus and a S&W or a Ruger, but for the price....YMMV.

A pre-lock SW revolver is a way better gun than current production. Tighter fit, nicer finish, more accurate. The design changes were made in order to cut or eliminate hand fitting and finishing when the cost of labor increased so much that few people would be able to afford the old design revolvers any more. Those used pre-lock Smiths cost as much or more than new Smiths. The locks themselves were rammed down the throats of an unwilling public when a lock maker bought SW and cared more about imposing locks than filling the real needs and desires of the gun buying public. About the best that can be said of the locks is that they seem not to hurt anything as long as you don't use them. The cases reported where they go on by themselves in response to recoil seem to all be in guns where the owner loosened the lock up by using it.

My one experience with Taurus revolvers wasn't good. I had a Tracker in .22WMR and it had timing/lockup issues.

Every Taurus, and Rossi, wheelgun I've ever owned and shot has been great. I never shot or owned one of their autos, but the feedback I've received has been less than positive. Their warranty policy, in my experience, involves practices that are grossly unethical.

At the end of the day, however, agreed with above — why bother? Smith, Ruger, et al., generally, put out great revolvers. Sure, you're going to pay more, but the results will likely be better. To each their own. :)

I had a great Taurus 44 special years and years ago. My brother owns it now and won't give it back, which is rude I think. That being said I've seen enough Taurus brand garbage that now I'd just rather buy once, cry once. I have never regretted that I bought a quality gun ten years down the road.......... never.

Oddly enough, SIG (320 line in particular) put me on to a Taurus. have a G3X which I converted to a full size variant. Neat for dry fire practice since it's like a DA/SA striker - uncocked the trigger is a little longer and heavier. Once it cycles the trigger becomes lighter and a little shorter, you'll notice it if you sit and play with it. Because of this you can practice your draw and trigger control without having to manually cycle the slide each time.

And yes I seriously do EDC it now and then as I trust it.

I don't expect tier 1 operator capabilities with it but it goes bang every time and hasn't failed me yet for a decent sized 9mm. It's also shown me I absolutely hate the the glock hump grip as I shoot this better I feel. Also it takes glock sights - for the price range it offers neat features for its value.

Tho now you have better options near it. For $300 you can scoop cop surp glocks/m&ps or actually buy the better value blast 9, the PSA dagger. May even be able to score a beretta APX.

One member here on this site has 10k+ thru his TX22...haven't seen an update in awhile but that's impressive for Taurus.

Owned a Taurus tracker in 357 in 2000s for 10 years and 3000 rounds. Problems were the orange sticker on the front sight fell off and the pin in the rear sight kept walking out. Ran fine.

Currently own a Taurus gaucho which is their colt single action clone. Never had problems.

Also Taurus is made in America now.

The only people who complain about Taurus quality have never owned one or owned one from the 1980s which is almost half a century ago.

Oddly enough, SIG (320 line in particular) put me on to a Taurus. have a G3X which I converted to a full size variant. Neat for dry fire practice since it's like a DA/SA striker - uncocked the trigger is a little longer and heavier. Once it cycles the trigger becomes lighter and a little shorter, you'll notice it if you sit and play with it. Because of this you can practice your draw and trigger control without having to manually cycle the slide each time....
That's what I experience on the Taurus G3X. Its quite different on the SA (dry fire) and actual firing after the first cycle. One of the reasons why I haven't mess with the trigger springs yet. But this gun actually helped me a lot on dry fire practice and draw. I like this model that doesnt have a safety for my own purpose. When I use my other gun which is a glock 19 its alot easier.

If this is a cowboy load out, I've never owned a Taurus so have no opinion there. That said cowboys carried single action revolvers so I'd look to a Ruger Bisley. The Bisley grip will tame the heavy magnum recoil if you chose to shoot that level of loads and is more comfortable over all any way.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top