JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Phasers come in:

1. 40watt/20watt/10watt/gigawatt/terawatt
2. Green pulse
3. Red pulse
4. Handgun
5. Shoulder thing that goes up
6. Disruptor
7. Target phaser
8. Racing phaser
9. Surfing phaser
10. Star Wars version
11. Pink phazer for chicas
12. Shoot around corner phazer
13. Fire and forget phazer
14. Truck/boat/dog mounted phazer
15. Etc

I guess I don't get the fervent hate or love if the creedmoor. It is a fine cartridge for hunting but ballistically it really didn't bring any more to the hunting table. The fact it was not originally developed for hunting is here nor there. The venerable 30-06 was not originally developed for hunting either. That being said, beside matching the swede ballistically, it did it in a short action and as others pointed out, that allows it to be chambered in an AR 10 platform. Love or hate it it is here to stay and ammo availability has been pretty good even through the pandemic. If I had a 6.5 swede already I probably wouldn't have bought a bolt action 6.5cm. After hunting deer with the Cm for several seasons now I am a fan but far from a fanboy. Of course I have had a 280ai for many years now and if you are looking for a more all around chambering it is a hard one to beat.

In retrospect it did improve on the swede in one regard. The chambers in the Cm allow for the long sleek bullets that have high bc. Having never owned or loaded for the swede I can't say for sure but I am guessing you would really need to seat those types of bullets really deep in the swede which would cut into powder capacity.

So before all you Creedmoor honks descend on me in righteous anger for those blasphemous words… let me clarify! I am only referring to the fact that the majority of new guns left for purchase are predominately 6.5 Creeds…
I am thinking the OP is mostly just frustrated by the lack of product on the shelves, just like the rest of us.

heck growing up my dad shot every single deer, every year with .22LR in the head. Some out to 50 yards. but then he could hit a dime 3 times with it at 25 yards. Just because he did it doesn't mean it should be done. He never owned a scope in his life.

Could I put a shot with a 6.5 at 603 yards in a elk and hit the vitals and kill him? Sure, if there is no major wind, no major elevation changes, no movement of elk. Then lets talk temp, elevation all kinds of things. That's my point. Yes it works but it doesn't not carry much energy out past 500yards, when its off just a bit and hits a shoulder.

No worries, I wont keep going, that whats make all cartridges a fun talking point. I shoot with a bigger caliber. After seeing many things go wrong and helping many many people look for elk, I decided in my old age to make a change to even bigger. I have never had to look for one since. But then everyone can argue with my point because they don't like big cartridges, heck some people even drive a Chevy.
This is why I use a 375 HH for Elk. when things go bad the big gun can lay them down at whatever angle they stand. I can always reach the vitals. I have a 6.5 Creedmore but I don't need to be told its an elk round. I know it isn't.

Ah… T-ritz that really is the heart of it… putting in the time and practice to identify what your competency level is, as Dirty Harry said "a man's got to know his limitations". That is one of the things I am really challenged by, finding the time and place to practice, putting myself in hunt-like situations to see what distances I would be competent and ethical to shoot at a game animal.

This is why I use a 375 HH for Elk. when things go bad the big gun can lay them down at whatever angle they stand. I can always reach the vitals. I have a 6.5 Creedmore but I don't need to be told its an elk round. I know it isn't.
Nice! I am trying to talk my older brother out of the pre 64 Winchester 70 375 H&h that he inherited from our grandad…. For some reason he is being totally unreasonable… I've tried logic, emotional appeals, next up…blackmail1 😀

In retrospect it did improve on the swede in one regard. The chambers in the Cm allow for the long sleek bullets that have high bc. Having never owned or loaded for the swede I can't say for sure but I am guessing you would really need to seat those types of bullets really deep in the swede which would cut into powder capacity.
It's called "more headroom".
It's probably the main reason 6.5 Creed has zoomed up in the pecking order.
And if that's old school to you, then you might have a 6mm Creedmoor.
Your average hater doesn't have a clue about headroom or long heavies.

The 6.5x55 is longer than a short action, but also shorter than a long action. In a given rifle you can seat the bullet just before it engages the lands to maximize case capacity. You still have to work up loads for best power and accuracy. Keep in mind that a safe load in a modern Tikka is going to be way different than older rifles designed for lower pressure ammo.

At factory loads, mostly because of that pressure spec, a 140 gr bullet in a CM is faster than a Swede, but not significantly.

I am having a swede built on a 1903-a3. I plan to see what kind of performance I can get. Bet it out runs a CM significantly. There is room for a lot more powder with the ability to seat the bullet out and in a strong action.

I am having a swede built on a 1903-a3. I plan to see what kind of performance I can get. Bet it out runs a CM significantly. There is room for a lot more powder with the ability to seat the bullet out and in a strong action.
If you reload...
Make up a dummy round with your preferred bullet seated optimally and have your gunsmith set up the chamber for it.
And you probably will outrun the 6.5 ManBun.
Ackleyize it and you will probably murder the 6.5 ManBun.

If you reload...
Make up a dummy round with your preferred bullet seated optimally and have your gunsmith set up the chamber for it.
And you probably will outrun the 6.5 ManBun.
Ackleyize it and you will probably murder the 6.5 ManBun.
I have reloaded and used the 8mm-06AI and the 35 Whelen AI - I did not find the additional work required for the Ackley cases to be worth the trouble,. I will keep the case standard and if more horse power is needed, which I doubt I will acquire a 6.5-06 or 264WM. I love the swede as a deer cartridge as I do the 7x57, but there are much better cartridges for elk.

I have reloaded and used the 8mm-06AI and the 35 Whelen AI - I did not find the additional work required for the Ackley cases to be worth the trouble,. I will keep the case standard and if more horse power is needed, which I doubt I will acquire a 6.5-06 or 264WM. I love the swede as a deer cartridge as I do the 7x57, but there are much better cartridges for elk.
You mean my 6.5/06 is more gun then my Creedmore? How come nobody has ever heard of it?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top