JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My problem with the 6.5 CM isn't so much with the cartridge but with it's marketing to the masses as a long range hunting cartridge.

-E-

My problem with the 6.5 CM isn't so much with the cartridge but with it's marketing to the masses as a long range hunting cartridge.

-E-
The marketing that I've seen is for target shooting.
Over the course F-Class shooting, I believe is what it was developed for.
And off-the-counter match ammo was to be available so competitors didn't have to handload.

That;s how I saw it marketed.
Maybe that's changed ?

What distances are we talking about when we say long range? I am not a big long range advocate and I think the whole long range hunting craze has generally been bad for hunting as most are not capable of humanely taking an animal at extended distances. That being said I consider long range when hunting 400 yds and beyond and the 6.5 Cm is certainly capable of taking deer size game out to 800 and probably beyond. Unfortunately, only a small percentage of people who buy the 6.5 cm are capable of making those shots consistently. This holds true for all long range capable cartridges. Hate the game not the cartridge lol.

Last Edited:
What distances are we talking about when we say long range? I am not a big long range advocate and I think the whole long range hunting craze has generally been bad for hunting as most are not capable of humanely taking an animal at extended distances. That being said I consider long range when hunting 400 yds and beyond and the 6.5 Cm is certainly capable of taking deer size game out to 800 and probably beyond. Unfortunately, only a small percentage of people who buy the 6.5 cm are capable of making those shots consistently. This holds true for all long range capable cartridges. Hate the game not the cartridge lol.
Assuming the old rule of a thousand foot pounds of energy what bullet weight / powder do you recommend for ethical shooting of deer at say 700 yards when using the 6.5 creedmore?

Here is a snap shot of the ballistic table of my load consisting of a 129gr ablr leaving the barrrel at 2975 fps. I have cleanly harvested deer out to 600yds and change with this load.

FE3A93A7-CD8A-4ED6-9A34-BCB098F182BD.png

So at 750 yards it falls below the 1000FPE rule. Nice.

First of all I don't really subscribe to that 1000 ft/lb made up rule. Secondly if you look at the chart it is clearly above 1000 ft/lbs of energy at 750 yds. It is at 1014 specifically. Do you think a bullet designed to expand down to 1300 fps magically loses all it's lethality when it drops below some magical made up figure? If the bullet expands and penetrates into vitals it will cleanly kill. This banter is all semantical as I will likely never find out real world as 600 yds is the longest shot I am likely to ever take. The point is the caliber is capable of killing deer size game out to 800yds or so. This does 't mean I advocate it.

First of all I don't really subscribe to that 1000 ft/lb made up rule. Secondly if you look at the chart it is clearly above 1000 ft/lbs of energy at 750 yds. It is at 1014 specifically. Do you think a bullet designed to expand down to 1300 fps magically loses all it's lethality when it drops below some magical made up figure? If the bullet expands and penetrates into vitals it will kill. This banter is all semantical as I will likely never find out real world as 600 yds is the longest shot I am likely to ever take. The point is the caliber is capable of killing deer size game out to 800yds or so. This does 't mean I advocate it.
I use some basic standards and principles. I dont snipe at deer I hunt them - to me if I cant get closer than 300- 400 yards I will let the animal go. I also believe in having enough rifle and though if it is slightly under a thousand pounds of energy - it will still kill., but s 1000fpe of energy seems like a logical guideline to me. To me you can shoot a deer with a 22 but it is and never will be a deer caliber. Your guidelines and mine seem to be significantly different.

So now you are calling out my ethics without knowing my capabilities? Have a nice day jruby as I will let my track record speak for itself.
I think ethics is the wrong term as I corrected to to guidelines - however regardless of your skill set shooting animals at long range is not in my opinion the act of a hunter.

800 yards for a Creedmore? Have you seen the drop and energy at 800 yards? I wouldn't shoot a Coyote at 800 with one. I own 4 of them, and a .260, and a 6.5/06 and a 6.5/55 Swede and the only gun in that group I would shoot at 800 would be my 6.5/06. Plates? sure 800 is fine but game is another story. That something CAN do it doesn't mean you should do it.

You are just digging a deeper hole with your ignorance jruby as now you infer I am not a real hunter? I always try and get as close as physically possible and 95 percent or more of al my shots on big game have come at less than 100yds. Some as close as 18 feet. However, I have worked hard to hone my skills for when I can't get any closer and routinely practice out to 800 yds or so. This doesn't mean I look for longer shooting it just gives me another tool in my toolbox. Hunt some of the open coulee country I have and you will have to pass many shots with your self imposed limitations. Not that it a bad thing as most overestimate their capabilities and you stay within your's which is a good thing. You keep doing you and I will keep doing me and we will all get along just fine.

800 yards for a Creedmore? Have you seen the drop and energy at 800 yards? I wouldn't shoot a Coyote at 800 with one. I own 4 of them, and a .260, and a 6.5/06 and a 6.5/55 Swede and the only gun in that group I would shoot at 800 would be my 6.5/06. Plates? sure 800 is fine but game is another story. That something CAN do it doesn't mean you should do it.

Ah yeah I have, did you see the chart I posted? 947ft/lbs at 800 yards. I will not be trying it nor do I advocate trying it. It is however capable in my mind as it is only 50 ft/lbs below the mythical line made up by some gun writer.

Last Edited:

I would have no problem shooting a coyote at 800 with a 6.5CM. Plenty of energy at that distance left.

when the time comes to lasers clearly the tried and true 30watt-06 laser guns will have the stopping power to take an elk at 1000yds where the new fangled 6.5watt Creedmore doesn't overheat as much for those sensitive to that kinda thing....
If you bring your cooling unit, you will be able to butcher the elk with your rifle too.

In retrospect it did improve on the swede in one regard. The chambers in the Cm allow for the long sleek bullets that have high bc. Having never owned or loaded for the swede I can't say for sure but I am guessing you would really need to seat those types of bullets really deep in the swede which would cut into powder capacity.
6.5 Swede Ackley
Ackley never tried modifying this one, but one of the first published attempts is by Bob Jourdan. It's a great wildcat to play with.
Awesome ballistics, minimal case stretch, had two, and both had barely noticeable recoil. Still have one and now building another.
If you feel the need for speed and heavies, you can have a longer throat cut in your chamber to seat the longer bullets like Berger EOL or Hammer Hunter in 137gr. BUT, you better have a twist rate to stabilize them !

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top