JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So you only hunt elk, then? And therefore only magnums or some such are worthy and you make a box of ammo last 20 years, right? Let people enjoy what they enjoy
I could care less of people have 6.5 I have 2 of them. Fine to shoot just people become instant long range hunting snipers with them. Its fine for hunting, even though it was never designed for it. Just because you can hit a steel target at 500 plus yards doesnt mean you can hunt at that range.

And no I hunt damn near everything. But everything has its purpose and if your gonna shot a 6.5 Creedmoor on elk, be smart. its not a long range caliber for elk.

I could care less of people have 6.5 I have 2 of them. Fine to shoot just people become instant long range hunting snipers with them. Its fine for hunting, even though it was never designed for it. Just because you can hit a steel target at 500 plus yards doesnt mean you can hunt at that range.

And no I hunt damn near everything. But everything has its purpose and if your gonna shot a 6.5 Creedmoor on elk, be smart. its not a long range caliber for elk.
And yet 603 yards with an exit wound on the opposite side...

I read about one pro shooter, former mil sniper planting an elk at some insane distance like between 1300-1400 yards IIRC. This is obviously a case of the Indian, not the arrow but the round is very capable. Myself, I'm not sure I'd even go for the 600 yard shot with a 6.5CM.

I read about one pro shooter, former mil sniper planting an elk at some insane distance like between 1300-1400 yards IIRC. This is obviously a case of the Indian, not the arrow but the round is very capable. Myself, I'm not sure I'd even go for the 600 yard shot with a 6.5CM.
There was also that video, I think you posted it, of a guy shooting a doe in the melon with a .50 at 100ish? Not related to anything in particular, just remembering the extreme opposite

The round is more than capable but this is the concern with it I hear a lot of hunters are buying the 6.5CM because of these stories and its fame as a target rifle. My concern with the CM on a large game like an elk at long distance is the lighter bullet hitting the heavy shoulder bone and fragmenting or deflecting rather than penetrating. Otherwise tucked right behind the shoulder the bullet would do just fine with a double lung shot. Larger elk calibers still reatain a lot of penetration in case a heavy bone is hit like that... thats my observation on the 6.5CM/elk subject anyways, would love to hears opinions.

Wonder how many calibers the phasers will be in when we finally get them!?! 😁
Calibers become "obsolete" with phasers.

Settings are:
Stun: make a living thing dazed.
Heavy stun: make a living thing unconscious.
Kill: make a living thing die.
Heat: speeds up molecules, things get hot.
Disrupt: separates molecules, blows things up.
Dematerialize: energizes molecules, make things vaporize.

when the time comes to lasers clearly the tried and true 30watt-06 laser guns will have the stopping power to take an elk at 1000yds where the new fangled 6.5watt Creedmore doesn't overheat as much for those sensitive to that kinda thing....

100% understood, it is nonetheless a testament to the capability of the cartridge that so many seem to want to bag on.
heck growing up my dad shot every single deer, every year with .22LR in the head. Some out to 50 yards. but then he could hit a dime 3 times with it at 25 yards. Just because he did it doesn't mean it should be done. He never owned a scope in his life.

Could I put a shot with a 6.5 at 603 yards in a elk and hit the vitals and kill him? Sure, if there is no major wind, no major elevation changes, no movement of elk. Then lets talk temp, elevation all kinds of things. That's my point. Yes it works but it doesn't not carry much energy out past 500yards, when its off just a bit and hits a shoulder.

No worries, I wont keep going, that whats make all cartridges a fun talking point. I shoot with a bigger caliber. After seeing many things go wrong and helping many many people look for elk, I decided in my old age to make a change to even bigger. I have never had to look for one since. But then everyone can argue with my point because they don't like big cartridges, heck some people even drive a Chevy.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top