JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You don't want a .270 as it is .277 vs .284 for the .280 AI, .280 Rem and 7mm-08. The reason I say use a 7mm-08 over a .280 Rem is the shorter round ensures you have enough meat for custom throat cut.
Except you need a long action for 280AI
I think Tikka uses a long action for short action cartridges in some rifles, but that wouldn't be the best plan considering aftermarket support.

A better plan would be to find a Remington 700 LA "donor gun".
Then build it from that action.
Or step up and use a custom action like a Defiance.

Have your gunsmith chamber for the SAAMI chamber so you can use off-the-shelf ammo.
No fussing with fire-forming.

Except you need a long action for 280AI
I think Tikka uses a long action for short action cartridges in some rifles, but that wouldn't be the best plan considering aftermarket support.

A better plan would be to find a Remington 700 LA "donor gun".
Then build it from that action.
Or step up and use a custom action like a Defiance.

Have your gunsmith chamber for the SAAMI chamber so you can use off-the-shelf ammo.
No fussing with fire-forming.
Tikka T3x and Savage 110 are LA, but I must admit I have the T/C Encore on the brain.

If I was going to build from an action up I'd for sure go with a Defiance or Surgeon.

You don't want a .270 as it is .277 vs .284 for the .280 AI, .280 Rem and 7mm-08. The reason I say use a 7mm-08 over a .280 Rem is the shorter round ensures you have enough meat for custom throat cut.
You are correct sir thanks for the information it's not as straight forward as I thought… but makes sense, as an old boss used to tell me, math don't lie! Found out twist rates would match either!

And anything AI isn't going to be cheap. Ever.
It is on par with 7mm Rem Mag, which I would consider it's closest comparison, but no where near as available/common so there is cheaper ammo for the 7mm. Of course .280 AI would be a little cheaper to load due to powder volume.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021560469?pid=822795
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021562219?pid=741274

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1001745881?pid=442246
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1001739595?pid=182375

Ive got nothing against the 6.5CM and think its great its gone viral. The only controversy with it is all the hunters buying it because they think it will make them shoot farther, which is sad for the game.... but if they do their part it will work out.

No plans on buying a new rifle but im old school and would get a common cartridge and be the one gun hunter, but for the sake of being different if I was to invest into a less common hunting round Id look at either the 6.5PRC or the 27 Nosler.

For me, it's the tactical Toms that make the 6.5 unappealing. The cartridge itself is just fine and I plan to kill things with my Savage 11 chambered in such this year, likely well under 200 yards.

I'll admit. I bought into 6.5 caliber. Only its a Grendel and only because its one of a few larger than 5.56 cartridges whose barrels can be shorter than 16 inches and still use carbine gas length tubes :rolleyes: (12" Monster barrel). The average ballistics from a 12" barrel recorded at a Grendel forum says it hits harder and farther than the same barrel length 5.56.

260 Rem, 6.5 Swede, 7mm-08, 280 Rem, 284 Win, 280 AI, 270 Win - if you don't like Crudmore, any of the previous will work.
When you want to get into some serious power, 6.5-284 Win, 264 Win Mag, 270 WSM, 6.5 PRC, 6.8 Western, 7mm Rem Mag.
Savage makes a 280AI, looks like a nice performer.
I shoot a 6.5 Swede Ackley with similar ballistic performance to the 280 AI.

I may yet have to do the rechambering route… it wouldn't be a 7mm-08… probably a .270 since there a lots of those around…
I wanna get in on the 280 Ackley Improved wave that is about to break, everyone is going to want one… amazing ballistics!
Cant do a thing the 7mm remington cant do better.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top