JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks to the poster who brought this thread back up. Had been thinking on watches recently.

I bought a decent quality mechanical watch just for general principle. Every now and then I give it a spin and then put it back into the drawer. I don't know how EMP or worse will affect things so why not have something in reserve that may prove useful.

Any suggestions for a decent reasonably priced mechanical which is currently available new?

Am a bit hesitant over those eco-type. I'm fine with giving a watch a wind as need be.

Figure should SHTF, we will not need to know perfect time. Would be handy to know relative passage of time location specific.

Simple things like grab a nap, I'll wake you in x. We'll make the rounds at x tommorrow, etc etc.

If hams are up, could get regional time to sync up.

Thinking a bit more on this subject, having access to a time piece would be very beneficial.

Simple moral, provided we do not get overly focused on it.

Health. Heart rate, anaesthetic, contractions etc.

Cooking!!! Eating can be a HUGE moral booster, so eating well would go hand in hand with that. Yah, will stock up on a few more simple mechanicle wind up kitchen timers. Hadent thought on that one! Cooking / baking, and doing so properly, would lead to less resources used & optimal health.

Last Edited:
38th SS Panzer grenadier's watch Swiss made still ticking 73 years later.
Just wind four full turns once a day.

38th Panzer.jpg

WW2 german stuff.jpg

Last Edited:
Who cares what time it is? When it's light outside, lay low and when it's dark move forward and collect supplies while doing so.

Need a watch to sync up comms checks ;)

I'm thinking more the Cascadia quake - a regional disaster that would allow for restoration of some level of service within a more reasonable period of time. In your scenarios, it would certainly be much worse.

The fire we had a few months back was pretty damn close. Another day of those winds and we'd all have been displaced for quite a while. :/

Last Edited:
I have a couple of " Invicta watches that I'm not sure how well they'd survive an EMP as the pin won't hold the strap to the watch in a five foot fall to the ground with no damage done to the wearer. my watch I like the best will probably crumple in ashes as I really likr the strength and reliability of the TIMEX Expedition, as my last one I retired last year after 20+ years of faithful service it is hanging on my computer as a second time piece when I need the time and cannot look at my wrist. It is as accurate as always but as it had bits and pieces knocked off during skirmishes in life ( wrenches, plumbing, bicycles, etc.)

A mechanical, and especially a self winding, should be impervious to any thing like an EMP and should be water proof to at least 100 feet! I would seek out any of the better mechanicals as the best bet for any challenge you may face! You can get factory referb MTM watches for around 150 to 300 bucks, depending on age and model! They come with a Life time warranty, and most good watch repair shops can service them!

if we learned anything from the late great John Candy... it's that in a SHTF scenario $2 and a casio ain't gunna cut it.... and that those aren't pillows:eek:

That said I just got a Casio for Christmas that has Alt, Bar, Temp etc that will be handy as long as no EMP...

Thanks to the poster who brought this thread back up. Had been thinking on watches recently.

Any suggestions for a decent reasonably priced mechanical which is currently available new?
=======%< cut ------

Top 5 Affordable Mechanical Watches for EDC

Of course the Lt. Col has a few videos on the topic :rolleyes:

I have never had an issue with my Timex' And those go around $50

E-Bay if you want some "vintage" and there is a market. The Soviet watches were reliable (and always good to have a story)
Vintage Soviet Wristwatches | Collectors Weekly

I got myself a GPW after like 15 years without wearing one. Keeps pretty good time and as a bunys its got sapphire crystal, which is good cause I bang it on everything.
20180104_123208_1.jpg

Stop wasting your time on fancy time pieces. Why don't you just use the method our ancient forefathers used to tell time?
Ask the guy next to you...

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR