JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If an EMP event (NUKE BOMB) takes place your watch will be the last thing you need to worry about. Your skin falling off might be something you might want to deal with first.

My 1917 Elgin Pocket watch with the 23 jewel Father time movement will be ticking away EMP or not for a few more decades I venture

Not true on the first part. If an emp occurs you most likely won't even know it until someone tells you it did. 200+ miles straight up above Kansas isn't going to be heard in the NW.

Elgins are nice watches. I have my Great Uncles old Hamilton and a few more to back it up. Unfortunately, they need to be cleaned and reoiled periodically and that is getting more expensive as time goes on. The new synthetic lubes do last longer before hardening they say, so it will go many years longer before it needs service again.

Who cares what time it is? When it's light outside, lay low and when it's dark move forward and collect supplies while doing so.

Who cares what time it is? When it's light outside, lay low and when it's dark move forward and collect supplies while doing so.

I do have one reason for knowing exact time, and that goes back to conserving power to the phones - assuming they can't be easily recharged. I learned long ago that one plan is to turn your phone on at the top of the hour, for 10 minutes, to allow any calls or texts that may be able to get through. It's also a way for searchers to track your signal if you're lost, while conserving power - apparently some agencies will look for those signals at the top of the hour.

Beyond that, the exact time probably isn't a big deal.

I do have one reason for knowing exact time, and that goes back to conserving power to the phones - assuming they can't be easily recharged. I learned long ago that one plan is to turn your phone on at the top of the hour, for 10 minutes, to allow any calls or texts that may be able to get through. It's also a way for searchers to track your signal if you're lost, while conserving power - apparently some agencies will look for those signals at the top of the hour.

Beyond that, the exact time probably isn't a big deal.

Well, if S really does HTF, I doubt cell phones and the towers they need to work will survive. ;)

There are many reasons......to correctly coordinate joint actions, underwater times with tank capacity and operating depths, estimate distances, basic navigation, many reasons.

There are many reasons......to correctly coordinate joint actions, underwater times with tank capacity and operating depths, estimate distances, basic navigation, many reasons.

I doubt there are many of us that are concerned about underwater times, tank capacities and operating depths after SHTF. I'm more concerned with surviving, as long as the planet isn't in full nuclear fallout. If that's the case, I'm good calling it a day.

Well, if S really does HTF, I doubt cell phones and the towers they need to work will survive. ;)

They may, after a time. I've done some research for our company on emergency cell provisions. Mobile cell towers are available and can be brought into disaster areas pretty quickly - they are stationed around the country. It may take a while, but they will come back up eventually. We were also told that text messaging would be the last thing to go out and the first thing to be restored since it uses less bandwidth than voice. Knowing that, trying to preserve the ability to use the phones is something I do plan for.

They may, after a time. I've done some research for our company on emergency cell provisions. Mobile cell towers are available and can be brought into disaster areas pretty quickly - they are stationed around the country. It may take a while, but they will come back up eventually. We were also told that text messaging would be the last thing to go out and the first thing to be restored since it uses less bandwidth than voice. Knowing that, trying to preserve the ability to use the phones is something I do plan for.

Yeah, I get that. I guess my idea of SHTF is at the VERY least a large scale EMP blast, and worst case global thermonuclear war.

Yeah, I get that. I guess my idea of SHTF is at the VERY least a large scale EMP blast, and worst case global thermonuclear war.

I'm thinking more the Cascadia quake - a regional disaster that would allow for restoration of some level of service within a more reasonable period of time. In your scenarios, it would certainly be much worse.

I doubt there are many of us that are concerned about underwater times, tank capacities and operating depths after SHTF. I'm more concerned with surviving, as long as the planet isn't in full nuclear fallout. If that's the case, I'm good calling it a day.
We were taught many uses and reasons to have a quality conventional watch in all fo our survival and combat schools. You know a "certified chronometer" clock or watch is about navigation.....we used a watch to determine distances of artillery fire, aircraft, gunfire, all sorts of practical uses.

And if it's the latter, I don't want to survive the aftermath. The planet will effectively be dead and any survival efforts would be just prolonging a miserable expiration.

We were taught many uses and reasons to have a quality conventional watch in all fo our survival and combat schools. You know a "certified chronometer" clock or watch is about navigation.....

Again, I was thinking worst case SHTF scenarios.

Maybe it's my age talking, but I'm glad to use my cell phone for the time because I can actually see it without putting reading glasses on. If I did wear a watch, I'd want a large white dial face to make it easier to read at a glance. I do have a Timex Expedition in the dresser; just checked and it's still running though I haven't worn it in years.

Used to use a compass when I was younger, backpacking and xc skiing, but only in conjunction with a map.

I really like my MTM Cobra II, Easy to read in all lighting conditions, Perfect amount of illumination of the Tritium markings.
Not cheep, but has lasted! It replaced my Heuer Autavia, which is an awesome watch, but its a Brick and weights a ton! Still works great. but needs a tune up!
image88.jpg
Heuer-Autavia-Compressor-Ref.2446T_2-510x600.jpg

My Rolexes (I bought one for my wife as well) have only gone up in value. I paid something under 1500.00 for mine nearly 4 decades ago, the insurance appraiser says it is worth 7,000 today. We bought my wife's in Hong Kong 10 years ago for 2700, it is valued at 7500.00 today. Maintenance has been minimal, quality and style are great.

I bought a decent quality mechanical watch just for general principle. Every now and then I give it a spin and then put it back into the drawer. I don't know how EMP or worse will affect things so why not have something in reserve that may prove useful.

We were taught many uses and reasons to have a quality conventional watch in all fo our survival and combat schools. You know a "certified chronometer" clock or watch is about navigation.....we used a watch to determine distances of artillery fire, aircraft, gunfire, all sorts of practical uses.

Flash to bang goes backwards under 342 yards bro.

But you have to stop and wrap your brain around it at danger close and do the math.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top