JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My question is, is a watch useful at all if SHTF? I am in need of a new watch and I am wondering if there is anything i really should care about, feature wise?

Lately before I buy anything I think will this be useful if SHTF.. Maybe it would be worthless if SHTF and and I need to just think about it for EDC.

There are sure some fancy Military Grade watches like the Luminox ones, but are they worth their cost and do I need their features :huh:

My question is, is a watch useful at all if SHTF?

Yes, plain and simple. I don't know many people who know what time it is without a watch or some sort of device. Having access to time allows us an opportunity to make plans coherently.

If SHTF becomes as bad as some people want it to be, TEOTWAWKI, then eventually you might need one of these, almanac related material.

If I were to get a watch, it would be one that uses the most common battery. **** maybe even second or third most common, just so long as the battery life last a LONG time.

Check out Victorinox Swiss Army Automatic watches. They have some that are reasonably priced and are good quality Swiss Made timepieces (that are non-electronic). I picked up an Omega Seamaster Automatic a few years ago and have been very happy with it but it was pricey.

buy an automatic Seiko diver as a back up to a casio G-shock.
Seiko "Monster"
SKX779K3.jpg

Casio Solar G shock:
GW5600J-1V.jpg

Most any of the automatic Seiko dive watches would be a good choice. Personally, I like (and own) the basic SKX173:

And, yes, a watch is a valuable thing. "Meet me back here in an hour" is hard to do without a watch. (for most people; for some, it's hard to do even with a watch...)

I have a G-Shock, and really like it. I'd love one of those Luminox SEAL ones, but I don't like spending that much. The EMP is a good point, but I kinda doubt that will happen, and I still put lights on my guns, even though an EMP would take them out too. I like that the Luminox uses Tritum.

hmmm... great thread. I have been wondering about watches a lot lately myself.

from a shtf perspective what are the best features to have and who has these on a watch? I was thinking... water proof, solar powered, stop watch, light, wonder if any have barametric (sp?) pressure would be nice to know if a storm was headed your way, I don't know if anyone even has that. Wonder what watches the special forces use?

FWIW, do not count on a Quartz movement or digital watch to function after an EMP or Solar Storm/CME (a watch will probably be the least of your worries but if you are considering buying a watch for SHTF, I would recommend looking at mechanical/automatic (kinetic w/o batteries, chronograph) movements) .

Buy a Timex wrap it in several layers of AL foil, place in metal box and Bob's Your Uncle!
If that does not work I will send you a sundial free of charge!

I like the citizen eco-drive watches.
They are good, tough, solar powered watches that if worn every day should last for decades or more.

Eco-Drive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Depending on the electronic movement model, a fully charged secondary power cell could run with no further charging anywhere from 30 days to 3,175 days (8.7 years), though most Eco-Drive men's watch models offer a six-month power reserve.[4] If kept in the dark for too long, some movement models engage a hibernate mode, where the hands of the watch stop running but the internal quartz movement still keeps track of time. If an ample supply of light is given, the hands move to the proper positions and resume regular timekeeping.

According to Citizen, experimental data showed the solar cell and secondary battery will last for more than 10 years.[7] According to Citizen Europe, laboratory tests showed that after 20 years the secondary battery retains a power storage capacity of 80% of its initial capacity.

If an EMP event took place, a battery powered watch would no longer work correct?

So would you want to stay with a wind up or automatic wind up watch?

If an EMP event (NUKE BOMB) takes place your watch will be the last thing you need to worry about. Your skin falling off might be something you might want to deal with first.

My 1917 Elgin Pocket watch with the 23 jewel Father time movement will be ticking away EMP or not for a few more decades I venture

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top