Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

SHTF Watch?

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by cbzdel, Oct 14, 2011.

1. cbzdel

cbzdel Tacoma, WA Member

My question is, is a watch useful at all if SHTF? I am in need of a new watch and I am wondering if there is anything i really should care about, feature wise?

Lately before I buy anything I think will this be useful if SHTF.. Maybe it would be worthless if SHTF and and I need to just think about it for EDC.

There are sure some fancy Military Grade watches like the Luminox ones, but are they worth their cost and do I need their features :huh:

2. Asp

Asp Oregon, the promise land. Active Member

Yes, plain and simple. I don't know many people who know what time it is without a watch or some sort of device. Having access to time allows us an opportunity to make plans coherently.

If SHTF becomes as bad as some people want it to be, TEOTWAWKI, then eventually you might need one of these, almanac related material.

If I were to get a watch, it would be one that uses the most common battery. **** maybe even second or third most common, just so long as the battery life last a LONG time.

3. cbzdel

cbzdel Tacoma, WA Member

If an EMP event took place, a battery powered watch would no longer work correct?

So would you want to stay with a wind up or automatic wind up watch?

4. netsecsys

netsecsys near: Bellingham, WA Active Member

Check out Victorinox Swiss Army Automatic watches. They have some that are reasonably priced and are good quality Swiss Made timepieces (that are non-electronic). I picked up an Omega Seamaster Automatic a few years ago and have been very happy with it but it was pricey.

5. Rascals

Rascals Portland Or Active Member

You cant stop living your life waiting for the shoe to drop. Get what you need. Live,love and party hard but make sure you dont keep all your aces on the table.

6. asiparks

asiparks PDX Active Member

buy an automatic Seiko diver as a back up to a casio G-shock.
    Seiko "Monster"
    SKX779K3.jpg

Casio Solar G shock:
    GW5600J-1V.jpg

7. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

Most any of the automatic Seiko dive watches would be a good choice. Personally, I like (and own) the basic SKX173:

And, yes, a watch is a valuable thing. "Meet me back here in an hour" is hard to do without a watch. (for most people; for some, it's hard to do even with a watch...)

8. RedneckRampage

RedneckRampage Newberg Well-Known Member

I have a G-Shock, and really like it. I'd love one of those Luminox SEAL ones, but I don't like spending that much. The EMP is a good point, but I kinda doubt that will happen, and I still put lights on my guns, even though an EMP would take them out too. I like that the Luminox uses Tritum.

9. Barefoot343

Barefoot343 liberalville Active Member

hmmm... great thread. I have been wondering about watches a lot lately myself.

from a shtf perspective what are the best features to have and who has these on a watch? I was thinking... water proof, solar powered, stop watch, light, wonder if any have barametric (sp?) pressure would be nice to know if a storm was headed your way, I don't know if anyone even has that. Wonder what watches the special forces use?

10. uptownsouldier253

uptownsouldier253 Kent, WA Member

not to mention an incorporated compass! i've also been looking for a good watch for when shtf. big 5 carries a lot of items with the smith and wesson name on them including some watches

11. Barefoot343

12. Barefoot343

man how did I forget the compass, thanks for reminding me. I need to check out big 5, maybe they have a good one.

13. uptownsouldier253

uptownsouldier253 Kent, WA Member

that g-shock pathfinder is super nice, but $300 is much much much out of my range right now

14. netsecsys

FWIW, do not count on a Quartz movement or digital watch to function after an EMP or Solar Storm/CME (a watch will probably be the least of your worries but if you are considering buying a watch for SHTF, I would recommend looking at mechanical/automatic (kinetic w/o batteries, chronograph) movements) .

15. A.I.P.

A.I.P. UpperUS Active Member

Buy a Timex wrap it in several layers of AL foil, place in metal box and Bob's Your Uncle!
    If that does not work I will send you a sundial free of charge!

16. netsecsys

I give up...

17. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy between springfield and shelbyville Well-Known Member

I like the citizen eco-drive watches.
    They are good, tough, solar powered watches that if worn every day should last for decades or more.

Eco-Drive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

18. A.I.P.

A.I.P. UpperUS Active Member

You give up?

19. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

If an EMP event (NUKE BOMB) takes place your watch will be the last thing you need to worry about. Your skin falling off might be something you might want to deal with first.

My 1917 Elgin Pocket watch with the 23 jewel Father time movement will be ticking away EMP or not for a few more decades I venture

20. netsecsys

Yeah, how the heck are you supposed to tell time with a Timex wrapped in several layers of AL foil, placed in metal box on your wrist?

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.