JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I very much like with what W44 has had to say. I began to prepare just after Katrina, with the goal of having a years worth of food and supplies for my wife and adult children and their families, plus seeds, skills, tools and land to grow food.

We finally were able to move to a rural area early this year, which put me in overdrive: there is so much to learn! Only one friend and one sibling have seen the light and began to prep. They are both welcome here (and plan to come if they can). Others continue to buy junk and not prep.

I so wish I had skills to offer those in need. I do not, yet. We have planned to give about 10% of our stored stuff as charity. After that, it depends. We will have to be very careful and perceptive of others motives.

This article was posted yesterday. It is the first I've seen addressing morality after SHTF. It is quite long, very well written, and I think probably the most important writing I have seen regarding preparedness.

I like the ant and the grasshopper story. However, it all depends on how much training your friend has and if he is able to shoot. You may need a hired gun to pull shifts on the perimeter, or to help on foraging missions.

I seem to have hit off a good discussion. however the way I see it a lot of people sound like they are thinking of lone wolf survival. I think to pull through we should prepare to step up as leaders. not just organizing friends and family but our whole communities. we may have to get the neighborhood together and start plowing our lawns into farms.

but in this scenario there is no way I could turn away any one who asks for help in Jesus name. but if you come with a sense of entitlement you'll get a door in your face and the scraping sound of a charging handle

I seem to have hit off a good discussion. however the way I see it a lot of people sound like they are thinking of lone wolf survival. I think to pull through we should prepare to step up as leaders. not just organizing friends and family but our whole communities. we may have to get the neighborhood together and start plowing our lawns into farms.

but in this scenario there is no way I could turn away any one who asks for help in Jesus name. but if you come with a sense of entitlement you'll get a door in your face and the scraping sound of a charging handle

:s0155:

I offer all my friends a snack and a beer. Period.

I concur with this statement. I would never turn family or a friend away. In America there is enough food.

I have been to 22 countries and have seen the poorest of the poor and they survive. People can't imagine famine until you really see it in person and I mean see it.

So I feel damn lucky to be here and I would not turn a friend away. There is always enough. You would be surprised at what you can survive on. Ask anybody in the military and find out if they are fed good. From my perspective people on welfare eat better than people in the military because I served 12 years and have seen some awful food and refused to eat it.

I concur with this statement. I would never turn family or a friend away. In America there is enough food.

I have been to 22 countries and have seen the poorest of the poor and they survive. People can't imagine famine until you really see it in person and I mean see it.

So I feel damn lucky to be here and I would not turn a friend away. There is always enough. You would be surprised at what you can survive on. Ask anybody in the military and find out if they are fed good. From my perspective people on welfare eat better than people in the military because I served 12 years and have seen some awful food and refused to eat it.

Well said. People don't know how good they have it here.

Blah blah blah.
My family come first.And protecting them.
If that means keeping my food for ME AND MY family,then to **** with the people who didn't listen

Sorry,but listening to god and prayin' will just get you dead.
Your neighbors/friends are looking for a way to get what you have,that's all,in this situation.

One meal and a little water,pat 'em on the *** and say 'Travel safe,amigo'
But if they have kids,they don't have to carry their food.

I posed a similar question on Christians: Mandated to give it all away and die?
coming from a Christian's point of view. Interesting answers, but in the end I believe God and the Bible teach your duty is to God, Family, Country and you will have to make the decision when you get there.

Putting away enough... hmmmm... how much is that? You CAN'T put away enough for long term, you will need to know how to grow your own food and have the place to do it.

Most city dwellers don't have that ability. A "victory garden" is a long cry from supporting a dozen people for a year.

If we go the route of Argentine / Russia my family will have to homestead out in the country to have any chance at self sufficiency and protection. Not a pretty thought.

My preps are for the Katrina events that last a month tops. Long term is too much to really handle on your own and it will take a small village mentality to do so.

My preps are for the Katrina events that last a month tops. Long term is too much to really handle on your own and it will take a small village mentality to do so.

I think you're on the money with this one: I was in the now-forgotten Hurricane Andrew crisis in South Florida and for the most part everyone had basic services available to them within a month. By that I mean resupply of food, water and a tarp over their head, though: it was rough down there.

To address the OP's question: I couldn't turn a friend away, not after having seen the devastation of a real disaster in person. If they made it to our doorstep they'd be welcome, we'd do with a little less, and I'd outfit them with the gear needed to help us all get resupplied.

I have some friends I would invite in without questioning it, others I would turn away. It just depends on who, some of my friends can pull their own and I know would contribute to the survival effort, others would just leach and be detrimental to my own survival and those would not be welcome.

I have some friends I would invite in without questioning it, others I would turn away. It just depends on who, some of my friends can pull their own and I know would contribute to the survival effort, others would just leach and be detrimental to my own survival and those would not be welcome.

+1

If they are friends, I'd help them out. Part of survival for me includes raising my sons' morality, not just their body. If I turned away a starving friend, I'd be teaching them a bad, bad lesson and lose our humanity. If it was some aquaintance, then its probably a different story. You gotta remember what you are surviving for...that doesn't include losing my humanity.

How bad of a situation do you want to survive? I was discussing this with my wife the other night. We figure we could survive with what we normally have on hand for 3 months or so. I would like to stock up more supplies and she thinks it's not worth it.

I remember reading a thread on here that was discussing the possibility of cannibalism if one of these situations got 'extremely bad'. My question would be, 'Who in the heck wants to merely 'survive' in a world that's gotten that bad?'. I personally would rather meet my Maker!

I agree with the others that have said they believe it will take a group/community effort to survive long term. I don't think any single person or one family could be 100% self-sufficient for the long term. I plan to look to friends for help and support and vice verse!!!

2 Thessalonians 3:10 states "Those unwilling to work will not get to eat." The key word being "unwilling", not "unable". As long as they are willing to contribute to your situation when the SHTF then everyone could benefit. Think of how nice it would be to have an extra person to work a garden, gather wood, or help pack an elk back to your place. However if they're just draining your supplies and possibly bringing harm to your family then you're under no obilgation to keep them around.
I also think you should help those who can't fend for themselves like the elderly, handicapped, or children. I'm a firm beliver that if your provide for those that God will provide for you.

Last Edited:
2 Thessalonians 3:10 states "Those unwilling to work will not get to eat." The key word being "unwilling", not "unable". As long as they are willing to contribute to your situation when the SHTF then everyone could benefit. Think of how nice it would be to have an extra person to work a garden, gather wood, or help pack an elk back to your place. However if they're just draining your supplies and possibly bringing harm to your family then you're under no obilgation to keep them around.
I also think you should help those who can't fend for themselves like the elderly, handicapped, or children. I'm a firm beliver that if your provide for those that God will provide for you.

+1

-d

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews