JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One of the stable of the preparedness community, for good or ill, is to go over a multiplicity of scenarios that one would have to contend with. Such mental processing and musings can often lead to a good plan or shoring up existing ones. And others are, well, straight up mental masturbation. (Not there is anything wrong with that. Beep-beep.)

But what is the one that you can't crack? The question is naturally two-fold:

• The one that you can't really create an adequate plan to address.
  • The one that produces a strong negative emotional response. (To put in less sterile terms, the one causes terror in the soul.)
Curious question? Perhaps so or not, but maybe worth kicking around.

One of the stable of the preparedness community, for good or ill, is to go over a multiplicity of scenarios that one would have to contend with. Such mental processing and musings can often lead to a good plan or shoring up existing ones. And others are, well, straight up mental masturbation. (Not there is anything wrong with that. Beep-beep.)

But what is the one that you can't crack? The question is naturally two-fold:

• The one that you can't really create an adequate plan to address.
  • The one that produces a strong negative emotional response. (To put in less sterile terms, the one causes terror in the soul.)
Curious question? Perhaps so or not, but maybe worth kicking around.
Gettin Nuked would be tops of my Oh Sh!t list! Not much you can do if your within the blast radius, but what it your out side the targeted area, then what? Is it safe to bug in and wait untill,................... what?
Or are you likely down wind of the fall out and need to bug, but where to bug, and how long will it be safe?

Yeah, the whole nuke thing (living on Puget Sound twenty miles down from a nuclear submarine base) is the worst case.

But for me, having been a prepper for the last ten years or so, my nightmare scenario involves me being at work when the 10.0 earthquake hits or Kim Jong Un's EMP event manifests itself on the West Coast...

It's just that, as an ethical employee in a public safety position, I'm gonna be stuck helping others for a long, long time before I can get back to my family. I absolutely will have to trust that my kids and their spouses can make it safely to my home and will be okay until such time as I can get back there... and that'll probably involve a long trek on foot overland.

Like many of us, I assume, we've all planned for the worst happening while we're actually at home...

The one that scares me is if we have a real crash again. We have had so much time of plenty its scary to think what will happen. I see families now that have a couple generations that never had a job. These people will get real ugly real fast if the free money suddenly stops.

Last Edited:
My first thought re. this question was a missile-launched nuke from North Korea.

Second thought is earthquake, as mentioned above. Probably a more likely scenario that nuclear attack. There is a big pipeline that supplies most of the water to the county in which I live. There was an article in the newspaper a few months ago, one comment was if that pipeline was disrupted from seismic action, it could take up to a year or more to get it delivering water again. That would be a big problem, just for one. Freeway and road bridges might be down, widely. E responders couldn't even get to where they were supposed to be. Etc, etc.

as an ethical employee in a public safety position, I'm gonna be stuck helping others for a long, long time before I can get back to my family.
This is something haunts the minds of, say, National Guardsmen, and similar potential emergency first responders. The public should also be concerned about this. How many Guardsmen will answer the call when the local balloon goes up? Or police reserve officers, etc?

Gettin Nuked would be tops of my Oh Sh!t list! Not much you can do if your within the blast radius, but what it your out side the targeted area, then what? Is it safe to bug in and wait untill,................... what?
Or are you likely down wind of the fall out and need to bug, but where to bug, and how long will it be safe?
That's not entirely true, read about some of the Hiroshima survivors, it'll make you old.

Any of the homes of my parents, siblings etc having to endure a home invasion. Nobody is armed, I can't prepare them for it against their will and it makes me sick to think the females might be raped and killed. One is only 3. That's my "stopped dead" scenario.

Any of the homes of my parents, siblings etc having to endure a home invasion. Nobody is armed, I can't prepare them for it against their will and it makes me sick to think the females might be raped and killed. One is only 3. That's my "stopped dead" scenario.
That is a sad situation. I have some family on Wife's side like this. They know we have guns. Some of them think we are kooks. I long ago gave up trying to persuade them. Of course if one of them ends up being a victim in their own home it will be sad. I have told the Wife we tried. We offered multiple times to take them with us to the range to learn. So they made their bed, they may have to sleep in it. :s0092:

That tipping point in society where it functions just enough to have the law be able to get you if you are a property owner, but not enough to actually do anything to protect you as a property owner from those who casually break the law and endanger you/your family.

If the situation arose where I was summoned to determine my future fate based on a judge/jury reviewing a situation that they perceived my actions defending myself/family as "excessive" and as a result, would attempt to incarcerate me for a period of time. That is a scenario that is a quandary - because if you perceive you can not get a just verdict, why comply at all with the justice system. The implications of that leave little room except for violence against those that would attempt to enforce such and a life as an outlaw - or capitulation.

The most deadly hazard to any survivor during TEOTWAWKI….

96C01EE6-481C-4D0F-8973-F31A2FCDB03A.jpeg

A fire storm like what went thru Phoenix and Blue River Oregon last year. Yeah ok, nukes, earthquakes, volcanoes, ect are real as well but seem far away, the fires on the other hand where very close and very real to me.

Honestly...
I don't don't really think much 'bout this stuff.

Some things I can control ...so I do what I can with what I have , as best fits the situation that I am in.
Other things I can not control...so I don't see the use in over worrying / wondering about those what ifs...
Andy

I am not afraid of death and never have been I am afraid of being paralyzed to a point I could not pull my own plug and would have to live a motionless, speechless existence, being able to only listen to the voices in my head till I die.

Like many have said, a nuke would be a bad day because even if I am not in the blast area, I do not have the means to test and decontaminate anything radioactive. So, I would probably die a slow painful death from long term low dose radiation.

The second would be a mild Yellowstone event. I say mild because it she really went up; I would be gone but if it just did the MT Saint Helens thing and dumped large amount of ash filling the sky it could cause a US wide if not worldwide dark ages. With the sky filled with ash blocking the sun for years it's really hard to grow food and breathe.

Last Edited:
Not the event itself, but my location.

We'll be in Alaska for a long weekend here soon. If any of the cliche big events were to go down, I'm on par with the homeless.
No network, no local friends, no shelter (that I own) , minimal gear, limited knowledge of the area. I'd be half a country away from my base of operations. Maui's even more pronounced of an example. Everything above, but on an island.
The wife hints about Mexico often enough. My answer is " last time I went to Tijuana was 1990".

1) "It's just that, as an ethical employee in a public safety position, I'm gonna be stuck helping others for a long, long time before I can get back to my family."
Your 1st ethical obligation is to your family. Screw the general publick. Those who are unarmed by choice and depend on the police for security will get what they have earned - good and hard.

2) "That is a sad situation. I have some family on Wife's side like this. They know we have guns. Some of them think we are kooks. I long ago gave up trying to persuade them...."
Don't worry about them. When the balloon goes up they will be on your doorstep expecting you to feed and protect them.

3) Death
Death is inevitable for everybody. It's just a matter of when and how.

It's a shame our discussions here can only be on a temporal level since there is another perspective filled with hope and worthy of discussion and consideration.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top