JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Repeat after me "Pants on, gun on."

For those lazy holiday mornings when I am in no hurry to get dressed I have a robe with pockets large enough to hold a Ruger LCR38 or LC9s.
I WISH I could get there. :( My wife carries more than I do. :oops: I'm not unarmed though. If my pants are on I carry a blade. I can draw that pretty darn quick.

Sounds like your drive is long enough that you may benefit from simple driveway alert/chimes. Would give you all an audible heads up, then you can check the cameras...
And you can tell when any deer, coyotes, turkeys, etc. come down the driveway!

Having a monitor/camera system that you can check easily will make your false alarms less disruptive. Advanced versions of driveway alerts/alarms can be ordered with magnetic sensors that will not trigger from wildlife. They only sense the steel of a vehicle, but must be buried below the roadway.

Now, after speaking about quick access safes with a good friend we both agreed a biometrics type would be the best option for all who would need to use it. So, I'm on the hunt for a couple wall mounted units if anyone has suggestions.
Spoke with someone recently who had an alarm go off at their house during the night indicating a possible intruder. Both he and his spouse had electronic (small) gun vaults that would not open...yes, at the same time. (Fortunately, a false alarm.) I had an electronic lock fail recently as well. I have an old Canon small gun vault that has a completely manual (non-electronic) combination. Unfortunately, have not seen one like it in years though. I just make sure I have a key available for my electronic versions.

Glad to hear you are okay!!!

Now, after speaking about quick access safes with a good friend we both agreed a biometrics type would be the best option for all who would need to use it. So, I'm on the hunt for a couple wall mounted units if anyone has suggestions.
I'm glad things worked out ok and nobody was hurt.

Personally, I am just not a fan of any lockbox that involves electronics, batteries, and/or biometrics. Electronics and batteries fail...usually at the worst possible moment. And the biometric technology at the price point of lock boxes, just isn't what I would recall reliable. Heck the biometrics on my phones still fail sometimes and they've had 20+ years to develop them.

My preference is for a mechanical Simplex lock. There are no electronics of any sort to fail on those. I'd also stay away from anything involving any type of key...including the magnetic ones like you already found out. The problem with keys is that they need to be carried...at all times. And most people don't. They usually end up stashing them somewhere which means they could be found. Thieves and kids are great at finding things.

I'm glad things worked out ok and nobody was hurt.

Personally, I am just not a fan of any lockbox that involves electronics, batteries, and/or biometrics. Electronics and batteries fail...usually at the worst possible moment. And the biometric technology at the price point of lock boxes, just isn't what I would recall reliable. Heck the biometrics on my phones still fail sometimes and they've had 20+ years to develop them.

My preference is for a mechanical Simplex lock. There are no electronics of any sort to fail on those. I'd also stay away from anything involving any type of key...including the magnetic ones like you already found out. The problem with keys is that they need to be carried...at all times. And most people don't. They usually end up stashing them somewhere which means they could be found. Thieves and kids are great at finding things.
Agreed, my electronics teacher didn't use any key pads or whatever either. He had a plug in device that looked ordinary, and you'd plug it in to a specific outlet/socket and it would engage or disengage a system. Theres many ways you can set this up signal wise. But its in plain sight and something someone wouldn't usually notice.
Thinking out of the box is your path to success. The best road, is no road..

And 100% the consumer level biometrics aren't there yet. I had one and it failed. I don't use the phones..

Last Edited:
Are you sure he wasn't there for one of those? May well coulda been.
Do you mean to kidnap a child or more than one child?

IN the summer of 2005, there was a HORRIBLE story where a man got into a house in IDAHO close to the MT border - he did NOT sneak in the middle of the night, he murdered people, kidnapped 2 children, went off to the border and into Montana, hid away in a REMOTE mountain/wilderness/camping area , murdered one child after sexually abusing and torturing him and then he BURNED the little boy up, he ran away with the girl child, etc.

He stopped to eat with the kidnapped girl. A WAITRESS was paying attention to the news and noticed the murdering man with a young girl and notified the deputies/police.

The murderer was from UTAH and there is more to say but I will stop here when it comes to HIM. The bad man - criminal was caught. The girl was RESCUED thanks to a lady waitress who paid attention to the NEWS and noticed that some things did not ADD UP with the behavior of her 2 customers at her table.

And it all started with a strange man at the door or to meeting a 'new person' who was invited IN or he PUSHED HIS WAY into the house of that one family in the panhandle of Idaho - they lived in the country and NOT right in town or in the suburbs if my old memory is correct now.

I remember that Summer of 2005 news very well. I was INTO that area of MT several times, we did NOT camp up there, we did stop at a restaurant CLOSE to that camping area cut off road - off of a highway and we did go into the panhandle of Idaho during that time frame so my ALERT VIBE was on high alert. Higher than normal.

Cate

Maybe add 1 or more simple fingerprint safes for an extra pistol in location(s) easy to access near door(s)?

I've had good luck with these type of canon ones that have fingerprint plus combination. They run on plug in or battery or both.

F6687E68-8838-47E5-9644-A6DBDEEF0AC6.jpeg

I have no idea what that is?
He means the famous shotgun made by REMINGTON - the Model 870.

My MT husband owned several of them in the past from beautiful wood/metal Wingmasters to his last one which was a Model 870 Marine Magnum.

He no longer owns any shotguns. I never owned a shotgun.

Cate

I'm also not at all a fan of biometric. For a quick access single handgun... I guess I like my RFID the best. I use a hornady rapid 2700. It's secure "enough" and incredibly easy to quickly get into even when you're just awake, bleary eyed and you don't have to fumble around trying to get your fingers aligned and working in the right order.

The big number pads are also easy to use when needed.

It's not exactly the most secure though. Barrel keys are notriously easy to circumvent, it does have electronics.. so there is a failure point, but ease of access is top notch.

The downside, you have to keep a chip handy. That's not all that much of a bother though. With discs and bracelet option, and it's ability to store several chip ID's in memory it's easily doable. That comes with a downside too though. You're kinda leaving 'keys" laying around all over the place if you program in more than one and don't keep it on your person at all times.

Granted, the disks are extremely easy to conceal, but once someone (ie., children) see you using your phone, wallet, etc once, the cat is out of the bag.

Using a couple for years now they've never given me any trouble... and I don't really mind the bracelet.

Cheap, secure "enough", easy access and have them for shotguns and rifles as well, if that's your thing.

Last Edited:
I WISH I could get there. :( My wife carries more than I do. :oops: I'm not unarmed though. If my pants are on I carry a blade. I can draw that pretty darn quick.
Mike,

I carry a knife on my body.

In a bathrobe pocket, a jacket pocket, pants pocket, on a leather belt, fanny pack in a section by itself, etc.

I am pretty good with my small, medium and large fixed blade knives.

I no longer own, shoot or carry handguns.

I still shoot a couple of 22wmr and 22lr rifles.

My husband carries a pistol where he can but he always has ONE or two folding - pocket knives on him and a SAK or Leatherman multi tool kit on his leather belt.

Do you ever use an old fashioned walking stick even if you don't need or use a regular cane on and off for medical reasons?

Cate

I would not trust finger prints, electronics and batteries for a safe or gun cabinet entry/exit.

I would trust a regular key that you keep with you - on your body. You and your wife. ALL BY ITSELF. NOT in a mix of keys!

But if you have to GO GET a gun or any self defense tool or send someone to get 'something' whether it is THERE or not (!?!) - I would be carrying a gun ON your body. Even if you just got out of the shower and want to relax - put a nice robe on or casual shorts and CARRY.

Especially since you have kids around. Most likely you could trust the older girl who uses guns and KNOWS gun safety issues but who knows how little kids are in THIS day and age?!

If you had NO children around, never had children as I never had any with my late husband, lived ALONE or only had your wife and you in a home... I would PUT a gun on a coffee table, side table, in your den or living room and do the same in your bedroom using a night stand.

Etc.

In various rooms and on several floors if you are not all on one floor - one story.

Lock them up and put them away when you leave your house.

Stay safe!

You never know if someone really NEEDS help or information or if they are there with evil intentions. And that goes if you live all ALONE, as a couple or have children as you have children.

And if someone needs to use a telephone, tell them that you can make a call for them (Landline like I have.). I don't own a cellular telephone and I would NEVER just give someone my cellular telephone even if I owned one.

They could pretend to make a call, steal it and I would be s out of luck IF I needed to CALL for HELP for myself if they proved to be a threat to me or just left me with NO telephone service.

I personally would keep the FRONT DOOR LOCKED, keep ALL DOORS LOCKED, and speak through a door or a window. And if I had to LOOK out some more after they moved AWAY - it would be if I knew it was only one person and AFTER they got back into a vehicle.

But sometimes, people have a CREW and they go to other doors of the house as one poster said OR they go to a side of a door where you can't see them.

Either way, your best move is to STAY in the house, if you think that you are going to be 'cased' or have a home invasion, stay inside, keep the doors LOCKED, have your wife or you call the police, if you have children - send them to a 'safe room' with an older child or the Mom.

Someone should keep an EYE on the first threat - the obvious threat IF that is what it really is.

So when you get armed - will your wife be armed when you figure this all out and have a plan? Keep up your safety skills.

Take care.

Old Lady Cate

Do you ever use an old fashioned walking stick even if you don't need or use a regular cane on and off for medical reasons?
Not yet.

*Knocks on wood* :rolleyes:

When we mushroom hunt. Extra stability and sweeping the Salal. Those yellow gems will grow right under them.

At 21:50 (9:50pm) I had a knock at my door, I live rural and it is not normal at all. A Hispanic individual was at the front door asking about a wrong address regarding a pit bull dog. Through the front door I told him he had the wrong address, he insisted this was the place. I replied, wrong address, move along, at the same time I told my wife to go grab my pistol from the safe. She didn't come back in a timely fashion, he kept asking to come in , I'm sorry to say I yelled, get the fuk'n pistol loud enough for the guy to hear, he still didn't budge. I left the front door area and retrieved my pistol only to see he went to his car in my driveway after I told him the address was a certain direction. He proceeded to drive towards my other driveway that leads towards my shop (wrong direction). I'm in the back yard watching and fired two shots into the yard. He finally left, and took off rapidly. This was a reminder that we as a family failed at preparedness, we received a gift of a RFID American Flag decoration that holds a firearm. Now, after explaining a wall mounted gun/rifle lock near the door, my wife says get one NOW.
I'm up on mcully mountain and had something similar happen. They came back a fee weeks later at night and tried getting into my work pickup. I came out naked(not a pretty sight) with my pistol and they had taken off. I never even locked my doors up here, I do now

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top