JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Except you may mortally wound the intruder with a .22LR but he/she may be able to shoot/fight back for 5 seconds which is a long time to harm you and yours. The mall shooter was killing defenseless civvies who weren't expecting violence.

Brutus Out
I get that, but most burglars retreat once they are hit, if they still can. Not easy to shoot up the stairs against disorienting strobe lights. Plus I won't wait 5 seconds before firing the second round. It's a risk assessment, and I am willing to take my chances.

A few posts back the Ruger 10/22 was mentioned.
Sure a .22 will kill and if you shoot well with it a hit with a .22 is better than a miss with anything else. But...

One big thing to worry about with any .22LR as a defensive gun is the ammo itself.
I have had more failure to fire experiences with the .22LR than with any other gun.( flintlocks included )

Even with "premium" ammo like CCI Mini Mags , Stingers etc ... It would be my luck that when I really needed it to work , it wouldn't feed or fire for me.

Another issue I have had in the past is that .22LR magazines also seem to be more prone to malfunction or "picky" about what ammo or just how the ammo is sitting in them, than other calibers.

Not trying to bash someone's gun choice , the .22LR or the use of the .22LR for self defense.
Just tossing out some things to think about if one does use it...
Andy

Last Edited:
A few posts back the Ruger 10/22 was mentioned.
Sure a .22 will kill and if you shoot well with it a hit with a .22 is better than a miss with anything else. But...

One big thing to worry about with any .22LR as a defensive gun is the ammo itself.
I have had more failure to fire experiences with the .22LR than with any other gun.( flintlocks included )

Even with "premium" ammo like CCI Mini Mags , Stingers etc ... It would be my luck that when I really needed it to work , it wouldn't feed or fire for me.

Another issue I have had in the past is that .22LR magazines also seem to be more prone to malfunction or "picky" about what ammo or just how the ammo is sitting in them, than other calibers.

Not trying to bash someone's gun choice , the .22LR or the use of the .22LR for self defense.
Just tossing out some things to think about if one does use it...
Andy
I have never had a malfunction with the 10-22 and quality ammunition. Different story with some pistols that have special dietary needs. At least there won't be any limp wristing induced malfunction ;-)

#1 benefit of the Mossberg - it uses standard AR magazines - big $$ saver right there, plus lots of options for manufacturers, capacity and materials.

Exactly, so the OP can stock up on magazines for his "hunting rifle", which is wife acceptable. Then he'd allready have them, should a really good friend "lend" him an AR when times get really bad. 30rd pmags are still $10 at Northwest Armory...for practical shooting though I only use 5&20rd metal magazines in mine, shooting from a bench w/a bipod.

Adding-I "think" the MVP .308 also uses standard LR SR magazines (most AR10 platform), but don't quote me on that.

That's the downside to the mini-14, no magazine cross compatibility with anything else. Same for the Ruger gunsight scout (AFAIK), which is another very nice magazine fed bolt action.

Plus side with the mini-14, aftermarket 20 & 30 round magazines are available at the $20 price point. Downside is accuracey, but easily plenty good enough for home/ranch defense.

Exactly, so the OP can stock up on magazines for his "hunting rifle", which is wife acceptable. Then he'd allready have them, should a really good friend "lend" him an AR when times get really bad. 30rd pmags are still $10 at Northwest Armory...for practical shooting though I only use 5&20rd metal magazines in mine, shooting from a bench w/a bipod.

I like the way you think...

FWIW, I am a regular reader and like the info and comments. I don't reply to many posts, but l just had to this time. I'm surprised that no one brought up the M1 carbine. Yes, among others I have an AR, but I shoot, and reload the carbine more than the AR. Along with an M&P Pro, I keep my carbine close for Home and property defense. But like many, I feel you have to have options to counter any type of threat. The shotgun was mentioned, and is a good tool for the right job. But I go for a 20ga. with a light and Burris fast fire. The 20 can easily be used by all members of the household without knocking them down. Most home threats will be inside 50 yards, so the M1 carbine is my pick. Cheers.
Phred

If you guys knew my wife you'd know she'd probably buy the Hello Kitty AR15… for me.

Get one for her! $hitcan that stupid grip too- piece of Kommiefornia BS compliance. But I guarantee she will end up shooting it and liking it- the power of the .223 cannot be denied. If she hates Hello Kitty, do the pink camo- both the ladies and men at the range will be impressed with that paint job.

And then when when she claims it, you can get a "boy's" AR-15, and you guys will be all set. Two or more AR-15s will set up a very nice perimeter defense.

I gotta admit I do like the Ruger Mini-14 too- there were some paramilitary versions that I shot in HS that were a blast (black w/ stainless finish and the folding stock- perfect for a gun crazy 18 year-old kid in JROTC-lol). But I guess the standard rancher version wasn't bad either.

Geno

I have an itch for a Marlin Papoose.

Get the .22 semi-auto even if it isn't perfect for self defense. It's not impossible, anyway it will drive off most BGs even if it does not splatter their brains on the ceiling. Also the ladies can shoot and hit with something like that. You want something comfortable enough for her to actually become familiar with. She may come around for an AR or Mini 14 later. Or just get another .22.

That Papoose is such a cute and light gun that most women will find it irresistable. ;)

Last Edited:
I swear! I've been looking at rifles, rifles, and more rifles and now my brain can't process anything without getting them all confused, and after endless hours of research, it always seems my favorite candidate is the last rifle I looked at.

Part of the problem is my personal bias against plastic. I went to a gun store and held a Mossberg MVP and it felt like the toy ray-gun I had when I was eight. I know the benefits of polymer are that 1) it's inexpensive to manufacture and 2) it makes the rifle very lightweight, but I was hoping for something a little more substantial.

So then I started looking for non-tactical rifles in traditional styles (restricting my search to small to medium caliber) in bolt-action and lever-action, and with wood stocks (I like wood). Damn! There's a lot of stuff to choose from, but not a whole lot that blew my skirt up, other than the Henry Long Ranger and good ole' Browning BLR, both in the $1000+ range.

That's not necessarily a deal-killer, since I'd like to eventually have an heirloom-type rifle that I can bestow to my nephew someday, but that time is probably better left till later when I feel more comfortable in my knowledge of firearms.

Long story short, I've kind of cycled back to polymer/plastic and semi-autos. Last night I came across an ad for a used Kel Tec SU16 ($480 or so). After reading and watching a few YouTube reviews, I thought, "What a cool rifle!".

So I'm still looking. I'm just not ready to "pull the trigger" on a rifle purchase yet, but I have to admit the search is loads of fun.

Question: Why not just buy them all? Well, I know the answer to that, but it's fun to think about.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews