JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There are several reasons I got into the PCC's. (Pistol Caliber Carbines).
1. it's getting hard to find a place to shoot anything like an AR. Long drive.
2. My aging eye's don't work well shooting at stuff at any real range any more.
3. The PCC's are just plain a TON of cheap fun.
4. Any of them make a dandy home defense gun. When I bought my KT S2K in 9mm it was originally for Wife. .40 was too much recoil. Thought she would like the 9. She did not. I was going to sell it until I saw the ballistic tables. With good +P 124's it matches a .357 out of a 4" tube. I began to look at the little rifle in a whole new light. My last 18" shotgun became a safe queen. I now have 4 PCC's in 9,40,&45. Fun as all hell to shoot, can shoot them at the indoor range, and would make a great SHTF gun. They are not for everyone but I fell in love with them. I must not be the only one as there seems to be a LOT of them on the market these days. Every time I see another one I want it. :)

One thing I really liked about the Henry was the low noise. Shooting a .45 Colt round was barely louder than shooting a .22. I like that because my dogs are skittish with the real loud guns, but they might get used to this noise much easier. At least I won't have to lock them in the house when I go outside to shoot.

That brings up a good point - if someone wants an AR type rifle now, do it now, don't wait. Depending on how the election goes, those $500 rifles will become $1,000 rifles again. Same could be said for the Mini-14 as well. Now is the time to act. Consider yourself warned ;)

Yep! During the last great panic I lost track of the people bubbleguming about scalpers and AR's. Every time I said to them "if you wanted an AR why did you wait for a panic to decide to buy one? They are cheaper than ever now. Even think you want one? Buy one now. If you decide it's not for you it will not be hard to sell later.

Yep! During the last great panic I lost track of the people bubbleguming about scalpers and AR's. Every time I said to them "if you wanted an AR why did you wait for a panic to decide to buy one? They are cheaper than ever now. Even think you want one? Buy one now. If you decide it's not for you it will not be hard to sell later.

You talking to Us?

I think he's talking to Us! :D

sheep-617128.jpg

One thing I really liked about the Henry was the low noise. Shooting a .45 Colt round was barely louder than shooting a .22. I like that because my dogs are skittish with the real loud guns, but they might get used to this noise much easier. At least I won't have to lock them in the house when I go outside to shoot.

Sig if you want to desensitise (SP?) your dogs wait till you feed them to shoot, and start with a 22, and slowly work up from there, start at a distance or from the opposite side of the house or barn wherever you feed them. This is how we started our gun dog puppies, they soon look on it as a call to supper if you do it right. Just don't get in a hurry, and if they look nervous back off to where they were confident and happy and then work up from there. Older dogs often take longer than pups, and if they are truly gun shy you may never get them gun broke. Oh and NEVER SHOOT OVER YOUR DOG, that's a sure way to make them gun shy!
Best of luck,
Gabby

If'n I was in your shoes, but I am not, (they'd probably be too tight cause I wear 12s) I'd get the bolt rifle that shoots .223/5.56 and takes AR mags. And PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, with your wife learning to shoot as well.... and buy plenty of ammo, and then buy an AR lower or 80% lower, then slowly accumulate parts for that day when you can't buy one at any price and wished you had bought one when a fine rifle could be had for $600-800.

The beauty of .233/5.56 or .308 is the ammo availability and rifle availability. A shotgun is not a bad choice but as previous folks have stated has some noise issues. I hate to say it but we are in an arms race to protect home and hearth. The current government pays lip service to public safety when it suits them. 650 dead in Chicago this year with 2 months to go? That rivals the first couple years of Vietnam casualties!!!! So you can't rely on them for your day to day safety.

As for me and my house, I choose the AR as the all round sweet spot for what contingencies that might arise that most concern me. A CPL is another tool for your personal defense tool kit. I used to feel quite prepared in the big city with a .380 military service type pistol in my pocket and an extra mag.....Over the past 7 or so years, I have chosen John Moses Browning's bigger Automatic Pistol Caliber, because I believe the threat has exponentially increased. Are the odds slim I'll ever need it, but I carry auto/house insurance as well?!?!?

5 people were killed not 25 miles from my house in a mall I have been in a number of times, by a punk with a .22. No cops got there and no CCW civilian was there to intervene. He killed, he ran and got caught within 24 hours because he was dumb. My families' lives are dear to me, more than my life which is very dear to me as well.... I don't ever want to look back and say if only I'd carried that day or if only I'd thrown the truck gun in the back seat.... or wish I had a double stack vs. a single stack.

If you like .308 get an M1A with wood furniture in the barrel length of your choice and apply immediately to get a suppressor, pay the tax, etc. and be first on your block to say GET OFF MY LAWN! The Remington R25 also comes in some forms that don't look so "menacing".:rolleyes: Fondle every rifle you can, and get the one that feels right based on your info gathering and needs....and by all means test drive it or same model if you can.

Brutus Out

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Brutus what do you think of the Ruger American in 5.56/223, I,ve heard good things but never shot one?
Gabby

I have been doing a lot of online reading on rifles, and everything I read is pointing me towards an AR-15. I've always considered them a bit flashy, but is there a better option out there?

I've been reading about the Mini-14 and I've heard it's not quite as accurate as an AR-15 in some cases. Also, upgrades and options are limited with the Mini-14, while the AR-15 is crazy optimized for adjustments. I like the idea of, way down the road, being able to swap out parts and customize it the way I want

Lol that's what makes them so flashy.

Naw you can dull down an Ar15. use 10 round mags or less, have a post ban style barrel with no flash hider or break, float the barrel with a round float tube. stay with some kind of Collapsable stock like a magpul they tend to look more sporting vs tactical or evil (except their mags) as it keeps it versatile for home defense as a carbine. FLat top receiver with a scope or simple non tactical looking red dot on it no carry handle and low profile gas block under the float tube. these features will get ride of the evil looking siluette.

Then paint it wood brown color and it wont be so scary or "flashy anymore" anymore.

With all due respect, the CX4 has not been discontinued and is still in production.

According to Cabela's website, it also carries a review rating of 4.9 out of 5.

Even then, if it is difficult to find a new one in the area, given Beretta's fine quality, a used CX4 would fulfill the purpose suitably.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Brutus what do you think of the Ruger American in 5.56/223, I,ve heard good things but never shot one?
Gabby

Ditto, heard good things but never shot one. Just one other way of skinning the SDog's cat as it were. If I am looking at a scout type rifle I'd go .308 or find me an affordable No.2 MkIV LE. Fast action with some punch, drawback is .303 is harder and harder to find.
Unless you are in Canada, I am guessing it is available there in good amounts.

Brutus Out

Ditto, heard good things but never shot one. Just one other way of skinning the SDog's cat as it were. If I am looking at a scout type rifle I'd go .308 or find me an affordable No.2 MkIV LE. Fast action with some punch, drawback is .303 is harder and harder to find.
Unless you are in Canada, I am guessing it is available there in good amounts.

Brutus Out

Yeah I'd agree forget a .303 because of the ammo situation.
5.56/223 or 308, & if your Mrs. might be using it stick with the 5.56 hardly any kick at all, and a little quieter too, smaller case means less powder needed if you take up reloading, and the ammo is lighter so you can carry more without getting a hernia. I've grown beyond the macho man stage and lighter and easier is my top priority, also less kick means less flinching too and so more apt to hit what you are aiming at! All things to take into consideration.
First of all just don't get into too big a hurry and if at all possible try to shoot whatever you are hankering after. Perhaps at your local range if they have loaner / rental guns, or maybe if you sweet talk someone into trying theirs as "you really like the look of theirs and might buy one" ;);) before plunking down that long green. Because guns are a little like automobiles once you drive it off the lot it's "USED"! You know what that means, it's already depreciated and chances are your dealer won't return your purchace price if you decide to return it.
I know sometimes there are good shops that will do that for you, but just don't count on it and if you scratched it good luck! :eek:
Good hunting and good luck with your search,
Gabby

Last Edited:
I prefer the Blackfeather stock, but wood is OK.

View attachment 320526
So how much does that beast weigh all up like you have shown there along with at least 50 extra rounds and a minimum of 2 mags for it? Since it's basicaly a M-1 with a detachable mag I'm guessing it would easily top 10 pounds empty. Then add the suppressor a full mag and I'm guessing you are crowding 12 or 14 pounds.
Am I close? Not exactly my top choice if my wife would need to hump it in the woods. The main reason the military passed over it for the M-16 was weight, of the weapon and the ammo and they are both bulkier for the 308 as well.
When I carried a long gun in the military it was either a riot gun, or an M-1, and if I'd had the option of the M-16 it would be a no brainer which one I'd want.
Gabby

Last Edited:
I have an AR... it's nice enough, but I'll grab one of my M14s before I grab the AR.
I forget what that build weighed - maybe 14 lbs. suppressed & loaded.
This one weighs 12 lbs. unloaded... it's lighter than my cat.
IMG_5302.JPG

Most will opt for the lighter AR, but the same people will
appreciate to one that totes a .308 when the sh!t gets real.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads