JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In the few short months I've been shooting my handgun, I've come to the realization that if I'm going to be a serious gun nut, I've got to have a decent rifle.

Since I don't hunt, I'd want one with a smaller caliber. I don't want a .22, since we've already got one from my father-in-law, which is fine, but a bit finicky (the gun, not the father-in-law).

My interests in having a rifle would be for (non-competitive) target shooting and home defense. I have a handgun range already set up that could easily be extended out 250-300 ft. for target shooting, even more if I want to work.

I have been doing a lot of online reading on rifles, and everything I read is pointing me towards an AR-15. I've always considered them a bit flashy, but is there a better option out there?

Yea, you don't go "flashing" any sort of gun around.
If you don't like the AR platform for whatever reason, consider the Ruger Mini-14 in .223.

Yea, you don't go "flashing" any sort of gun around.
If you don't like the AR platform for whatever reason, consider the Ruger Mini-14 in .223.

2nd the Mini-14 if you don't like the AR rifles. That said, I don't think there is anything 'flashy' about an AR except what comes out of the muzzle end :rolleyes: I find it easier to just own both ;)

ARs are cheaper and typically more accurate than Mini-14s. Mini 14s aren't as evil looking as ARs to the uninitiated or gun banners, or Starting from scratch? I recommend an AR-10 type.....a semi auto in .308, then you could hunt, target, plink, whatever. For me the fun of assembling my own AR in 5.56/.223 a part or two at a time was also mandatory because I could not afford to plunk down $1,000 plus for a $500.00 rifle during the post Sandy Hook panic. If you can, shoot a few different rifles and then decide. One AR might lead to another, and another, it has been known to happen.

Brutus Over

ARs are cheaper and typically more accurate than Mini-14s. Mini 14s aren't as evil looking as ARs to the uninitiated or gun banners, or Starting from scratch? I recommend an AR-10 type.....a semi auto in .308, then you could hunt, target, plink, whatever. For me the fun of assembling my own AR in 5.56/.223 a part or two at a time was also mandatory because I could not afford to plunk down $1,000 plus for a $500.00 rifle during the post Sandy Hook panic. If you can, shoot a few different rifles and then decide. One AR might lead to another, and another, it has been known to happen.

Brutus Over

That brings up a good point - if someone wants an AR type rifle now, do it now, don't wait. Depending on how the election goes, those $500 rifles will become $1,000 rifles again. Same could be said for the Mini-14 as well. Now is the time to act. Consider yourself warned ;)

AKs are worth a look. Only the sultans and the Russian mafia have AKs that could be considered flashy.

A WASR 10 looks like it was assembled in a cave by drunken peasants with rocks but is rock solid reliable:).

Mini 14s aren't as evil looking as ARs to the uninitiated or gun banners

That's what I meant by "flashy". I didn't mean to denigrate the AR-15 platform.

I've been reading about the Mini-14 and I've heard it's not quite as accurate as an AR-15 in some cases. Also, upgrades and options are limited with the Mini-14, while the AR-15 is crazy optimized for adjustments. I like the idea of, way down the road, being able to swap out parts and customize it the way I want.

I guess I'm just sensitive to the potential for raised eyebrows and "Guess who's playing soldier" looks from friends and relatives. Everyone seems frightened by it, though I guess I'm just hanging out with the wrong people.

Growing up, my idea of what a rifle should look like was colored by westerns and guys who hunted with bolt-action rifles. But I guess the concept of rifles was bound to change – designs always follow the military's lead. I just need to accept it and embrace it.

To heck with the naysayers.

That brings up a good point - if someone wants an AR type rifle now, do it now, don't wait. Depending on how the election goes, those $500 rifles will become $1,000 rifles again. Same could be said for the Mini-14 as well. Now is the time to act. Consider yourself warned ;)

This is also a major issue. I suspect they will be banned within a year or two, so the rationale is that even if I only think I might want one, I might need to accelerate my decision-making because of the political winds. Amazing that we've come to that in this country, but it is what it is...

That's what I meant by "flashy". I didn't mean to denigrate the AR-15 platform.

I've been reading about the Mini-14 and I've heard it's not quite as accurate as an AR-15 in some cases. Also, upgrades and options are limited with the Mini-14, while the AR-15 is crazy optimized for adjustments. I like the idea of, way down the road, being able to swap out parts and customize it the way I want.

I guess I'm just sensitive to the potential for raised eyebrows and "Guess who's playing soldier" looks from friends and relatives. Everyone seems frightened by it, though I guess I'm just hanging out with the wrong people.

Growing up, my idea of what a rifle should look like was colored by westerns and guys who hunted with bolt-action rifles. But I guess the concept of rifles was bound to change – designs always follow the military's lead. I just need to accept it and embrace it.

This is also a major issue. I suspect they will be banned within a year or two, so the rationale is that even if I only think I might want one, I might need to accelerate my decision-making because of the political winds. Amazing that we've come to that in this country, but it is what it is...

For nearly 5 decades of my life I figured a .22 rifle, a 12 gauge, a .30-06, and maybe when I could afford a 1911 and or M1 Garand would be all the firearms I would ever need for my purposes. Then the gubmint and these running dawg commie pinko, unAmerican bubblegumming gun grabbers were telling me I didn't need an AR 15 and/or any other military
"style" firearms.... that may have backfired on them. I'd guess their fear-mongering had increased the number of 5.56/.223 firearms by 10 fold since 2008. If you even think for a moment you might one day want one, then tomorrow is not soon enough to buy/order one. And they are fun.:D And you can put the grip,scope, parts, upgrades etc. YOU want on them.

Heck, they used to come in any color you wanted as long as it was black....now, choose your color.

Brutus Out

Last Edited:
(snip) I guess I'm just sensitive to the potential for raised eyebrows and "Guess who's playing soldier" looks from friends and relatives. Everyone seems frightened by it, though I guess I'm just hanging out with the wrong people.
Yea, I understand that attitude in the city. Drive a few miles out, and that kinda attitude disappears.

There ya go!!

Aero Precision is a NW company and I have several of their products. if you want a pretty much built AR look at their AC-15. Ruger makes a good affordable one, as well, pretty much like shopping for a good compact SUV these days, lots of good options from budget to high end tack drivers.

Brutus Out

Home defense? Shotgun, AR 15 pistol, then AR15. Shotgun is my choice inside the house (and full size handgun).

I don't have property (yet), but when I do, then I'd tend towards an arm with a longer standoff reach (.308 etc).

Make sure you are 100% proficient at whatever you choose, and where your family is (will be) in the event of an in home situation--ESPECIALLY if considering anything which goes thru bad guys (and soft backstops - plaster).

Nothing wrong with an AR or AK for what you are wanting.

But I would toss out the idea of a of a older JM stamped Marlin 336 in .30-30.
I've seen and done plenty of accurate shooting with both the factory and added on Lyman 66 peep sights.

Whatever you choose as stated above be intimately familiar with your rifle and ammo and how it will or can over-penetrate at feet range instead of yard range.
Also be aware that the noise and flash of rifle fire inside a house is LOUD and can be disorienting to both you and others.
Andy

So an AR-15 tops out my list as an "all around", if you don't want the "playing soldier" look, get a AR with a fixed stock, a 20" barrel and a free-float handguard. This is something I would probably build myself, but here's some inspiration:

Best Hunting ARs for 2015 - Petersen's Hunting

Obviously, this is going to be a trade off for a "home defense" gun. in that the larger it is, the less well it's going to be in the confines of a house. Honestly, a rifle is the last thing I really want for home defense unless it's the zombie apocalypse.

The real advantage to the .223 AR, it's fairly cheap to shoot, you can buy a drop-in .22LR conversion for it so it's even cheaper to shoot. It's a decent enough rifle for predator control (coyotes, bobcat, hell I've even seen people take bear when they had to defend themselves with an AR in .223).

My next choice would probably be the mossberg MVP series, definitely non-military looking, but it takes AR mags, also chambered in .223, but offered in .308 (I would advise against going .308). I have one and it's a lot of fun to shoot. But again, rather limited in the home defense category.

Maybe going up the chain, you're going to be looking at bolt action rifles for the most part if you want something inexpensive, another thing you might consider is a pistol caliber carbine... so a lever-gun in .38/357 (I think the marlin easily works between the two, I'm not sure about others), Keltec sub-2000 or maybe if you're looking for something more spendy the CZ Scorpion Evo. There are also AR's out there that shoot 9mm.

It's an AR-15 buyers market right now, shop for a deal on a pre-owned rifle.
I picked up a like new Colt LE6920 for less than $700 earlier this year.
The Kel-Tec 9MM Glock SUB-2000 is not a bad option for 100 yards or less.

That said, my primary rifles for target & home defense are M14s.

For both target and HD roles, an AR type rifle is an easy pick. .223 is definitely priced nice for regular shooting. But as an alternative plan...& you can punch your gun nut card...where are your shotgun(s)? ;) You could pick up a reasonably priced Mossberg 500 combo w/ the 18.5" barrel for HD and 28" you can use for busting clays. That would open up your centerfire rifle choices if you don't want an AR type.

I wanted to add one more thing to consider for the AR - beyond endless varieties of stocks, grips, handguards, etc., off a single lower you have the option to swap to other calibers such as .300 BLK (uses same magazines), 6.8 SPC, 6.5 Grendel, .22lr, 9mm, are the more common. You can also have a rifle length upper for the range and swap to a shorter carbine for home defense. And none of that requires an FFL.

All you need is a complete upper and matching magazines and you take your one registered o_O lower and can turn it into a variety of guns.

I wouldn't use a rifle for home defense.
One shot and your ear drums will probably blow, and your rounds will go through the walls into your neighbors house.

Better off with a pistol caliber carbine or shotgun. But still shooting a 12ga in an enclosed space will not be a pleasant experience.

Pistol carbine in a higher caliber pistol round would be nice.

Look at Aero Survival rifles.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads