JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm not sure if they were mentioned but the CZ 527 carbines come in .556 and 7.62x39.
Both are great shooting and nice looking carbines.
They use CZ's own magazine and "only" hold 5 rounds or so ...
My biggest issue with the magazines is the cost. They run $30 or more when you see 'em for sale.
Andy

In the few short months I've been shooting my handgun, I've come to the realization that if I'm going to be a serious gun nut, I've got to have a decent rifle.

Since I don't hunt, I'd want one with a smaller caliber. I don't want a .22, since we've already got one from my father-in-law, which is fine, but a bit finicky (the gun, not the father-in-law).

My interests in having a rifle would be for (non-competitive) target shooting and home defense. I have a handgun range already set up that could easily be extended out 250-300 ft. for target shooting, even more if I want to work.

I have been doing a lot of online reading on rifles, and everything I read is pointing me towards an AR-15. I've always considered them a bit flashy, but is there a better option out there?

Get a 38/357 lever action. you can choose what round to shoot to change things up and keep it exciting. put in 357 +p hp for home defense or hunting.

I'm not sure if they were mentioned but the CZ 527 carbines come in .556 and 7.62x39.
Both are great shooting and nice looking carbines.
They use CZ's own magazine and "only" hold 5 rounds or so ...
My biggest issue with the magazines is the cost. They run $30 or more when you see 'em for sale.
Andy

Yep. I saw those early in my research. I liked them a lot, too.

So many rifles… so little time.

Get a 38/357 lever action. you can choose what round to shoot to change things up and keep it exciting. put in 357 +p hp for home defense or hunting.
The Marlin 1894C is a beautiful rifle, no doubt. Gotta read some reviews.

Okay. I've narrowed it down to: lever-action rifles / wood stock / .38SP-.357MAG. My choices appear to be:

• Marlin 1894C - my preference, though it appears they may not be making these anymore in .38/357
  • Henry Big Boy Steel - not completely thrilled with tube-loading, otherwise a fine rifle
  • Rossi M92 - not made in USA, and I've heard tales of spotty QC
Assuming I'm right about Marlin 1894 availability, do I prowl the online gun sale sites for a seller of a used 1894 (they don't seem to come up very often), place an order for the Henry, or go for the Rossi?

Last Edited:
Browning made a copy of the Winchester 92 , they are fine rifles.
Also Uberti makes a copy of the 73 and 92 Winchesters both are or were available in .357 magnum.
Might want to give those a look as well.
Andy

Browning made a copy of the Winchester 92 , they are fine rifles.
Also Uberti makes a copy of the 73 and 92 Winchesters both are or were available in .357 magnum.
Might want to give those a look as well.
Andy

Beautiful rifles. A bit out of my price range, however.

Rossi Rio Grand's come and go all the time, and once you get one broken in they run very well! The S.A.S.S. folks really love them as they don't bang up a "Real" Winchester, or Marlin, Or............... I also like the Henry Big Boy series of Lever guns, great rifles and slick shooting. I have one in .45Colt, and it is a sweet shooting carbine!

...I don't know honestly, in regards to a leaver action...initially anyways...

I keep focusing on the part of your OP in regards to home defense. That's where a magazine fed semi-auto would be just that extra bit more handy. Throwing 30 rds out at a carload of meth-head bobs, who want your stuff, with any number of 30rds immediately at the ready, vs ?6/7/8 & a long pause while you re-load your lever & perhaps dropping a bunch as well...

Couple that with a shotgun, for your wife, or who ever may be at home with you, and you'd be in a really good position.

...again given your particular family situation I roll back to a Mini-14 (have one in wood...they're really really nice-again though not as accurate, but plenty plenty accurate for a man sized target out to 1/200), that SU rifle intrigues me, and I really wanted one for a bit, but never had a chance to handle one as of yet.

Too bad your such a ways off, else I'd invite you to the range in Albany to try out the mini-14 & a MVP....

I can't stress this enough though, get a semi auto first. With the elections & the political climate, I have a very strong feeling you may not have the opportunity to in the future, when you may want/need to.

Too bad your such a ways off, else I'd invite you to the range in Albany to try out the mini-14 & a MVP....

Yeah, that sounds like fun.

Without the experience of shooting any of these rifles, it's difficult to say for sure what my true preference would be. I appreciate your opinion regarding the semi-auto and the benefits thereof.

Quite honestly, I don't want to buy a rifle out of fear – fear that I might not be able to defend myself adequately, or fear that the rifle will no longer be available due to politics. To me that's not a good way to make decisions.

As far as home defense, a lever action carbine would be a fine back-up to my .45 pistol. Frankly, any defense strategy can be overwhelmed by superior numbers and/or weapons. What I have to consider right now is my comfort level (given my low-level of experience at this point) with the guns I choose. I know I'd be very comfortable hauling and using a lever-action rifle, and 9-rounds of .357 can make any bad guy think twice, especially if I'm well practiced and accurate.

Down the road, let's hope semi-auto rifles will still be available (and that mini14 in particular), because some day I'll be ready for 'em.

My 9mm HD carbine. Updated & upgraded, waiting on a can.

IMG_5293.JPG

My 9mm HD carbine. Updated & upgraded, waiting on a can.

View attachment 319979
That is one sick rifle ("sick" in a super awesome way).

Yesterday afternoon the Missus and I visited a neighbor who has several firearms, mostly handguns. The Missus tried out a small Sig .380 and loved it. I tried that and a CZ57 9mm and loved both. Then as we were getting ready to leave, I mentioned that I'm looking to pick up a lever action carbine/rifle along the Henry or Marlin lines.

With a glint in his eye, my neighbor said, "You wanna shoot a Henry?"

"Does the Pope poop in the woods?" says I.

He brought out his Henry and a box of .45 Colt and we shot a few rounds. After which, I told my wife, "If I ever leave you, it will be for a Henry rifle."

She laughed. Politely.

I'm not sure she was amused.

Part of the problem is my personal bias against plastic. I went to a gun store and held a Mossberg MVP and it felt like the toy ray-gun I had when I was eight.

I'm late to the party but I have to mention that the MVP Predator model has a laminate wood stock. It is also worth mentioning it is one of very few off the shelf bolt action rifles where the manufacturer says you can safely shoot 5.56 NATO.

I wouldn't use a rifle for home defense.
One shot and your ear drums will probably blow, and your rounds will go through the walls into your neighbors house.

Better off with a pistol caliber carbine or shotgun. But still shooting a 12ga in an enclosed space will not be a pleasant experience.

Pistol carbine in a higher caliber pistol round would be nice.

Look at Aero Survival rifles.

The muzzle blast from a shortbarrel 12 gauge is much worse than that from an AR-15. It will most definitely harm your hearing. So there is no benefit at all to your hearing, by going with a shotgun.

And fragile 223 rounds like ones using Hornady VMAX bullets are not going to do any sort of deep penetration either.

A 223 rifle with a 20 inch barrel instead of a 16 inch, and no muzzle brake instead of having one, will also have much less muzzle blast.

There was a thread on here about the Beretta CX4. I don't have one of these, nor have I shot one, but it seems to me that it might also be a worthy consideration for someone who needs a rifle for home protection.

When I say "Home defense" I guess I'm talking about bad guys assaulting my property. If they get in the house, I'm going with the .45 which I keep very close. But if we're in a WROL situation, I want something that can reach out and touch someone before they reach the house.

If you shoot someone assaulting your property, you could easily end up being prosecuted.

A decade ago we had a man here locally shoot and kill a fellow that he caught breaking into his pickup parked in his driveway to steal his tools. He ran outside to confront the man, and ended up shooting and killing him.

Our District Attorney was not happy, and investigated the shooting for 3 months, until he finally closed the investigation saying that there was insufficient evidence to determine whether or not the shooting was justified. The shooting happened in the middle of the night, and there were no witnesses to it. Although not charged, the man did end up hiring a lawyer, and had to sweat it out for 3 months waiting for the DA's decision.

Here in Oregon, a person is pretty much protected if they shoot a burglar INSIDE their home, or in the process of breaking through a door or window. But if the criminal is outside your home, then Oregon's self-defense law has much stricter requirements.

I have no idea how Washington's self defense laws compare. But that is something that you should definitely research and know by heart.

Last Edited:
There was a thread on here about the Beretta CX4. I don't have one of these, nor have I shot one, but it seems to me that it might also be a worthy consideration for someone who needs a rifle for home protection.

I am fairly confident that the Beretta CX4 carbine has been discontinued by Beretta, and is no longer available for purchase new. It never achieved any sort of reasonable popularity.

If one really wanted one, I think you would need to buy the gun used.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top