JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
AR15 - keep it stupid simple with no flashy stuff.

Any gun fired in the house will deafen you so get an electronic noise canceling head set and put it with the gun.

Buy .223 tactical ammo and call it good for you home defense and buy whatever's on sale for plinking.

So an AR-15 tops out my list as an "all around", if you don't want the "playing soldier" look, get a AR with a fixed stock, a 20" barrel and a free-float handguard. This is something I would probably build myself, but here's some inspiration:

Best Hunting ARs for 2015 - Petersen's Hunting

Obviously, this is going to be a trade off for a "home defense" gun. in that the larger it is, the less well it's going to be in the confines of a house. Honestly, a rifle is the last thing I really want for home defense unless it's the zombie apocalypse.

The real advantage to the .223 AR, it's fairly cheap to shoot, you can buy a drop-in .22LR conversion for it so it's even cheaper to shoot. It's a decent enough rifle for predator control (coyotes, bobcat, hell I've even seen people take bear when they had to defend themselves with an AR in .223).

My next choice would probably be the mossberg MVP series, definitely non-military looking, but it takes AR mags, also chambered in .223, but offered in .308 (I would advise against going .308). I have one and it's a lot of fun to shoot. But again, rather limited in the home defense category.

Maybe going up the chain, you're going to be looking at bolt action rifles for the most part if you want something inexpensive, another thing you might consider is a pistol caliber carbine... so a lever-gun in .38/357 (I think the marlin easily works between the two, I'm not sure about others), Keltec sub-2000 or maybe if you're looking for something more spendy the CZ Scorpion Evo. There are also AR's out there that shoot 9mm.

Unless you practice a LOT, it is very easy to short stroke a laver gun.

But I agree with the rest.

If you like lever guns, an older Marlin 1894C and a .357 revolver is a good combination. Both can use .38 or .357 ammo.

IMG_4866.JPG

Check out the S&W Sport 15. I enjoy mine a lot! I have other AR's, much costlier, but for the qualitys of fit, finish, accuracy and reliability with a cost (in my case) of considerably under $500, they are hard to beat!
Cabalas, etc have them on sale often! :)

...Any gun fired in the house will deafen you so get an electronic noise canceling head set and put it with the gun...

Excellent point & well worth the purchase!

Midway has one at ~$50-60 which works very well, uses 2 AAA.

At the range I double ear (conversational ear plugs + the midway electronics) for convenience. Plus the electronics have an input jack for my music. This model won't do both music & enhance voice though. However when I'm not listening to music the conversational enhancement is pretty darned amazing, as is the gunshot cutout.

At home the electronics are on the night stand ready to go.

Nothing wrong with ANY of the recommendations here! I would add a good bolt action in .223/5.56 might fit your needs too. I agree with the option of a good Lever gun as well. A good Marlin 336 or a Winchester 94 will serve you well and are all going to be some what less then a AR. I also side with the .308 rifles, a nice semi auto battle rifle might be just the ticket for you!

That's what I meant by "flashy". I didn't mean to denigrate the AR-15 platform.

I've been reading about the Mini-14 and I've heard it's not quite as accurate as an AR-15 in some cases. Also, upgrades and options are limited with the Mini-14, while the AR-15 is crazy optimized for adjustments. I like the idea of, way down the road, being able to swap out parts and customize it the way I want.

I guess I'm just sensitive to the potential for raised eyebrows and "Guess who's playing soldier" looks from friends and relatives. Everyone seems frightened by it, though I guess I'm just hanging out with the wrong people.

Growing up, my idea of what a rifle should look like was colored by westerns and guys who hunted with bolt-action rifles. But I guess the concept of rifles was bound to change – designs always follow the military's lead. I just need to accept it and embrace it.

To heck with the naysayers.

This is also a major issue. I suspect they will be banned within a year or two, so the rationale is that even if I only think I might want one, I might need to accelerate my decision-making because of the political winds. Amazing that we've come to that in this country, but it is what it is...

Just to throw it out there: maybe you could be the one to change the minds of your friends and family about ARs.

Just to throw it out there: maybe you could be the one to change the minds of your friends and family about ARs.
Yea, it sounds like the OP hasn't shot an AR by reading the first post.
Speaking just for myself, they shoot like a dream. The ergos are sublime and you'll be a hitting savant with your eyes closed.
Then you let your peers etc. experience that and they too will have that "aha! moment also.
it's really a no-brainer.. especially after you've actually shot one

If you're not hip to the AR-15, another nod to the Ruger Mini-14. We have and run both and have found they work fine enough in their given roles. Each have their strengths and weaknesses.

If you're not hip to the AR-15, another nod to the Ruger Mini-14. We have and run both and have found they work fine enough in their given roles. Each have their strengths and weaknesses.

...& for family whom may be a bit put-off by "scarey black rifles", the wood stock ones seem to be much more acceptable for whatever reason.

Haven't shot one myself, but did get a standard ranch with wood this week, wanted one for a long while. Simply classic style.

If you can afford it, get one & use it to teach the family, BUT also get a reasonably decent AR while you still can & just put it away...

If you can't afford the both, then go with an AR over the Mini-14.

Midway has a DelTon mid length rifle kit with everything you need to build the rifle sans stripped lower for $524. Has a chrome lined barrel and bolt carrier group. Even if you got a spendier forged lower for $100, you're out less than $650.
And you can buy a NWFA branded stripped lower from nw custom firearms in Vancouver!

Wow! I go out for some beers and come back to discover tons of good advice. Thanks to all…

You've given me lots to think about.

Just to clarify, I live out in the woods – ten acres with timber all around. Neighbors are separated by hills and trees and a couple thousand feet. My primary in-home defense weapon is a Colt 1911 .45.

When I say "Home defense" I guess I'm talking about bad guys assaulting my property. If they get in the house, I'm going with the .45 which I keep very close. But if we're in a WROL situation, I want something that can reach out and touch someone before they reach the house.

Obviously, the chances of this are very very slim, and I'm not building a bunker or looking for black helicopters anytime soon. But like my favorite hooker always said when handing me the condom, "praemonitus, praemunitus*"

* I've always been partial to Latin women.

It is unfortunate that marketing caused the failure of the Ruger PC9 and PC4. These were fantastic little carbines, chambered in 9mm or .40.

There are other options, that would be considered thinking out of the box. An 1894 or 92, Trapper length, in a revolver chambering is a handy yet formidable choice. Also is any short-barreled repeating shotgun. I'm not opposed to sub-gauges for a house gun. 20-ga or .410.

WAYNO.

Last Edited:
The AR-15, especially the option of building a lower from parts and pairing it with a complete upper, is a really good first fighting rifle. That is not to say, however, that a hunting rifle isn't a great tool to have. I would just start with an AR-15.

Gotta have a few 22 rifles, too, by the way, but those aren't really for fighting.

Wow! I go out for some beers and come back to discover tons of good advice. Thanks to all…

You've given me lots to think about.

Just to clarify, I live out in the woods – ten acres with timber all around. Neighbors are separated by hills and trees and a couple thousand feet. My primary in-home defense weapon is a Colt 1911 .45.

When I say "Home defense" I guess I'm talking about bad guys assaulting my property. If they get in the house, I'm going with the .45 which I keep very close. But if we're in a WROL situation, I want something that can reach out and touch someone before they reach the house.

Obviously, the chances of this are very very slim, and I'm not building a bunker or looking for black helicopters anytime soon. But like my favorite hooker always said when handing me the condom, "praemonitus, praemunitus*"

* I've always been partial to Latin women.

Get an AR 15 or AR 10 type while you still can. You won't regret either.

Brutus Out

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top