JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't understand how the new "law' has anything to do with it.
A criminal is going to do what a criminal is going to do.
The "law" is unconstitutional,plain and simple.

Remember the member here who was robbed at gunpoint awhile back?
I'll bet money that the same guy is responsible for this one.
Derek Rousseau.
Wait for it.

Or get what a criminal is going to get, such as in this case. The following pretty much says it all - even pre SB 941 this would have been a stupid idea:
a late-night gun sale at a Northeast Portland park Sunday.

Or get what a criminal is going to get, such as in this case. The following pretty much says it all - even pre SB 941 this would have been a stupid idea:

Maybe so,but I have done deals at night-once even in a Taco Bell parking lot at midnight!
(We both worked swing shift,so it had to be that way..)
In my opinion,it boils down to using your head,being vigilant,and reading all the information the other guy is sending out.
I truly believe that I am responsible for my own safety and am required to use my own judgement,rather than hope for a law or police to protect me from myself and all the turds in this world.
If you're not an idiot,idiotic things don't happen to you.
As often.

Derek Rousseau.
Wait for it.

I don't like the BGC laws any more than anyone else, but if the seller and buyer had been obeying the law in this instance, the sale would not have been taking place late at night in a park, it would have taken place in a LGS or FFL place of business during business hours, probably amidst numerous other people who were armed, and the person looking to rob the seller, would probably be on surveillance video. Also, the criminal probably would not pass the BGC and would know that, so probably would not even consent to buying the gun and doing the BGC.

Before SB941 I did a few F2F transfers. ALWAYS at a very public place and always made sure I had talked to the individual before meeting. NEVER had a problem.
Now for the above scenario, from the little details given it appears very sketch.

Pre-941, I always dealt with "known" buyers/sellers (usually NWFA members with positive feedback and CHL's).
Always met in a public place during daylight hours, and showed up early to watch them arrive. Never had a problem and always met VERY cool people.

Did have a few times where I was contacted by a buyer that just seemed "odd" to me. Couldn't always figure out why, but chose not to do the deal.

MANY members here practiced the same measures. Not saying a deal couldn't go bad, but your chances were far better by following some simple safety measures.

I personally wouldn't do a deal in North Portland (or on Lancaster Drive in Salem for that matter).

Derek Rousseau.
Wait for it.

I guess the only difference would have been that they would have been meeting at an FFL, which likely would have prevented the robbery from happening in the first place.

I did my share of private sales pre-SB941, never had a problem, and yes, did meet a few in the dark hours - late or early before work, just because of schedules. Always met at a well-lit public place with some folks/traffic around. I always would try to get a sense of the person from their comms - bad comms usually meant a bad deal, so I'd leave those alone.

Ditto with all of the, "no law would have affected the outcome," posts.
What I found hilarious when I saw the news story was, on the channel I watch, they said that the perp shot the perp/victim with the gun they were selling!
The news probably got it wrong, but I hope not. I love irony!!! :)

It will be interesting to hear whether the victim was selling a gun that actually belong to them, and/or the victim legally owned the gun (i.e., was a felon in possession of a gun). This could have been one criminal selling to another.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top