JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So do you suppose the two guys that got shot selling the gun will get prosecuted by the state for violating SB941?

I have yet to hear of any case in the news for a private sale prosecution. Victims might say they were just showing the gun to the buyers and going to meet at a gun store the next day for the exchange. SURE

So do you suppose the two guys that got shot selling the gun will get prosecuted by the state for violating SB941?

I have yet to hear of any case in the news for a private sale prosecution. Victims might say they were just showing the gun to the buyers and going to meet at a gun store the next day for the exchange. SURE
Fake pastors and citizens of color are exempt.

To me, this is a perfect example of why SB 941, as well as all similar laws, is flawed. Background checks and additional barriers to gun sales and transfers only impact the honest! Criminals and a few "less-than-honest" folk are never inconvenienced by such misguided attempts at lowering crime!

Another issue, although not gun related, propagated by our out-of-control Oregon lawmakers or I should say, "Taxmakers" ... "the A7 amendment to SB 229". :s0126:

My two bits!

To me, this is a perfect example of why SB 941, as well as all similar laws, is flawed. Background checks and additional barriers to gun sales and transfers only impact the honest! Criminals and a few "less-than-honest" folk are never inconvenienced by such misguided attempts at lowering crime!
And SB 941 may have 'influenced' more crime than not - lets say a person needs to sell some guns to raise money for whatever and wanted to make good deals to sell them quickly. Pre 941 made this much easier for all the obvious reasons - I occasionally bought things I really didn't need or want only because it was a good deal and I was helping someone out. NOW with the addition of the FFL $ and the need to meet at an FFL location someone who is a little desperate might just consider meeting someone of questionable means and take a chance on a quick sale - and maybe this situation was an example of this.

The seller is almost as culpable in this shooting! I, too, have done gun transfers in parking lots at odd hours. One time at 4:30am in an I-5 rest stop. You just do what you have to do to make a sale work for both parties...but check this: The odder the meet, the higher my expectations for the other guy needing to be able to prove how normal they are. The more irregular the meet (time, location, etc.), the more REGULAR the other party would need to be for me to be comfortable.

Quite frankly, I actually care even less now, unfortunately. I used to get ID, full name, kinda check them out. But now, I barely get their first name, meet at a pawn shop, and only focus on the gun. Who cares about the buyer/seller now. All the onus, all the liability now, is on the FFL and the state.

Back to my first point, the seller is the one who chose to meet up without an FFL. He is a criminal almost as much as the buyers/thieves/attempted murderers.

Back to my first point, the seller is the one who chose to meet up without an FFL. He is a criminal almost as much as the buyers/thieves/attempted murderers.
True and the bad thing is unless this is taking place between friends/family the buyer and seller are strangers which pretty much 'carves in stone' the buyer cannot legally own a gun - but this does NOT relieve the seller of responsibility either.

There are criminals and then there are those of us who just chose to ignore certain laws. I break speeding laws all the time, I even probably unknowingly or unintentionally break more serious laws from time to time. There are so many laws and they are so convoluted, that it is hard not to occasionally break a law more serious than speeding.

For example, I would bet there is more than one person on this forum who has sold a firearm without a BGC since the law went into effect. Probably more than one who has sold to a family member who lives in another state, maybe even a firearm that is not legal in that state.

I would not call those people criminals - I would say that they just chose to ignore unconstitutional laws - maybe foolishly, but not with criminal intent IMO.

Woodlawn park should say it all... I'll bet this was gang related. I used to hangout in that neighborhood, there's no way the bloods are going to give up a park associated with their founding.

I don't understand how the new "law' has anything to do with it.
A criminal is going to do what a criminal is going to do.
The "law" is unconstitutional,plain and simple.

Remember the member here who was robbed at gunpoint awhile back?
I'll bet money that the same guy is responsible for this one.
Derek Rousseau.
Wait for it.
Hey man, I agree, hence the "I guess".:cool:

Hmmmm. NE Portland, late at night, in a park, making a gun deal with a stranger, What could possibly go wrong??. There has to be more to this story, Drugs involved? Stolen gun? Extreme lack of grey matter?.

Gun violence is a serious public health problem in our communities.Health problem?Violence may be a serious health problem to the receiver of the violence,but the gun is like any other tool used to inflict harm. It is an object! It has nothing to do with the mental state of the individual committing the violence. On average, at least one Oregonian dies from firearm injury every day.Not all firearm injuries are violent. Some are accidental, and some of these stats lumped together are self defense and law enforcement doing their job. The media likes to omit all the facts when giving us the so called unbiased news. Like the dangers of drunk driving or prescription drug abuse, no one single policy will stop every tragedy from occurring. But we can take clear steps to reduce the prevalence of gun tragedies.No we cannot! The more the population grows in this world we live in, the more tragedies will occur. This is a simple fact.Taking guns away from anyone will not change the fact.We see more and more attacks by terrorists by automobiles,knives, and a host of other tools to take a life. Make no mistake about it.....Gun control of any form is an assault on the right to keep and bear arms. It has nothing to do with keeping you safe from harm. Besides.....That is the job of the individual in a free society. JMHO!!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top