JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So the first part of my post was sarcasm, but the second was serious. Walking around all day carrying a fully stocked first aid kit has got to cause some sort of rash or something.

I'm not sure of the CERT course that you are talking about, don't know how much about how in-depth about medical they teach, but a good Advanced First Aid course taught at the local Fire Department or Junior College would be good.

Heck even taking an EMT basic course would give you a life time of basic knowledge.

So the first part of my post was sarcasm, but the second was serious. Walking around all day carrying a fully stocked first aid kit has got to cause some sort of rash or something.

I'm not sure of the CERT course that you are talking about, don't know how much about how in-depth about medical they teach, but a good Advanced First Aid course taught at the local Fire Department or Junior College would be good.

Heck even taking an EMT basic course would give you a life time of basic knowledge.
I don't think anyone here is saying to carry a full kit on your person….. that's damn near impossible. Unless you go everywhere with a backpack which isn't practical.

But to carry gauze and a TQ is 100% doable and should be carried in my opinion. People are free to do as they wish. I value my life.

Cheese and Rice!

Where do you people live that you need to carry an "on the person" first aid kit! While your at it, y'all might want to look into a backpack sized AED as well as a complete air way kit w/ laryngoscope.

Seriously though:
Most buildings in modern day America have an OSHA approved first aid kit in the back and any place that has more than 50 customers in a day should have an AED on site. If something happens, get to the storeroom or backroom of a building for both shelter and cover and that where the first aid kit should be.

Now if your a wilderness guide, I get the "carry what you need" mentality, but if your down town Portland or Seattle maybe a level IV vest would be more appropriate.
Just to clarify, you believe that you will be able to find a useful assortment of medical supplies in a public building?
This is a terrible plan. That's free information, but it's accurate in my experience.

Correct, and I never said "don't carry" what you want.

One of the biggest problems we see with a Lay person placing a torniquet is placement. Many places and classes still teach 3 inches above the wound. Well if the wound is on the lower arm and you place a TQ just below the elbow you are placing it over two (2) bones. Not the best choice as it won't always stop the beleeing. However, placing it all the way up under the armpit (one bone) is a much better idea.

Just to clarify, you believe that you will be able to find a useful assortment of medical supplies in a public building?
This is a terrible plan. That's free information, but it's accurate in my experience.
No, I never said "medical" equipment, I said First Aid supplies (hell I could find those in a staples or a coffee shop). Improvised First Aid supplies are all around you, heck your wearing some on your body right now (unless your N=ked and I don't want to know about that).

If your always looking for the next threat, you could also start looking around for improvised First Aid supplies. Make it a mental game on your way to and from work.

Hint: one of the best things you can carry on your person is a "sharp" knife. With it you can make many things.

Just my 2c

One of the biggest problems we see with a Lay person placing a torniquet is placement. Many places and classes still teach 3 inches above the wound. Well if the wound is on the lower arm and you place a TQ just below the elbow you are placing it over two (2) bones. Not the best choice as it won't always stop the beleeing. However, placing it all the way up under the armpit (one bone) is a much better idea.

No, I never said "medical" equipment, I said First Aid supplies (hell I could find those in a staples or a coffee shop). Improvised First Aid supplies are all around you, heck your wearing some on your body right now (unless your N=ked and I don't want to know about that).

If your always looking for the next threat, you could also start looking around for improvised First Aid supplies. Make it a mental game on your way to and from work.

Hint: one of the best things you can carry on your person is a "sharp" knife. With it you can make many things.

Just my 2c
Just so you are not surprised, those nice blue metal boxes on the wall in grocery stores and restaurants are usually empty.
Well, not completely empty. Probably have a partial tube of neosporin that expired in 2008 , a few of the plastic backers from bandaids long since deployed, and if there's a Tylenol bottle? Yeah, it's empty.

Just my 2c
If only we had the same mentality to carrying a gun as we do to the training needed to carry medical….

I'm much more concerned with a lay person carrying a gun than I am about them applying a TQ.

Just so you are not surprised, those nice blue metal boxes on the wall in grocery stores and restaurants are usually empty.
Well, not completely empty. Probably have a partial tube of neosporin that expired in 2008 , a few of the plastic backers from bandaids long since deployed, and if there's a Tylenol bottle? Yeah, it's empty.
Ok my Friend, Mental Judo time.

If your in a grocery store or restaurant, it's not the blue box on the wall your looking for. Supplies are all around you. Remember your not doing surgery, just stopping a bleed or plugging a hole. cloth napkins, Tablecloths, heck even your waiters wraparound apron if you need it. Grocery stores have more than enough stuff for fist aid just on the "feminine hygiene isle" alone.

*I should have taken into account that most of you guys live in "robb and loot" land, not down here in the south where we still say hello to people we meet on the street.

That First Aid class you are talking about is probably part of your community's CERT program. There may be a different local name for it, but the national program is called the Community Emergency Response Team from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (CERT, run by FEMA). Their entry level course (which most larger communities will put on once every month or two) covers medical, fire and other major regional emergency responses (tornado, earthquake, flooding etc.), and is the jumping off platform for more classes and involvement with EMS/Community integration. The classes are free, the only investment is time.

My only gripe with them is that they do not cover criminal emergency response. My local crew was open and encouraging to the discussion, but I highly suspect that will vary by locality and personnel.

Ok my Friend, Mental Judo time.

If your in a grocery store or restaurant, it's not the blue box on the wall your looking for. Supplies are all around you. Remember your not doing surgery, just stopping a bleed or plugging a hole. cloth napkins, Tablecloths, heck even your waiters wraparound apron if you need it. Grocery stores have more than enough stuff for fist aid just on the "feminine hygiene isle" alone.

*I should have taken into account that most of you guys live in "robb and loot" land, not down here in the south where we still say hello to people we meet on the street.
Yeah, I use electrical tape mostly myself.

Side note , a sorta dark side note, I'm looking forward to buying some of those stopthebleed kits from pawn shops and yard sales. Since you know they're going to be stolen off whatever street corner is chosen by the government for their distribution.

Very true. I find it strange that more people who carry guns don't also carry medical, given that when defending against a violent attack it's very likely a person will sustain some kind of injury. The gun ain't gonna stop a bullet or deflect a knife blade. Agreed, TQ and something to staunch bleeding or pack a wound should be the minimum... And the training to use them properly, of course.

On that topic, (warning: shameless self-promotion ahead! :s0140:) NWFA members get $10 off the purchase of any version of the Trauma Wallet pocket medical kit. Use the link below to auto-add the promo code, or PM me if you'd rather not use an online store.

Decided to get one of these. I know I was crapping on pocket carry med kits earlier in the thread, but I am curious to see what other people are doing. How easy to carry is it? Do I think it has enough stuff to be useful in a real trauma situation? Is it more viable than I am giving it credit for? Only one way to find out. .

This is how I've been doing it. CAT TQ and shears AIWB and QuikClot in the back pocket. It's thin so it doesn't create a ton of issues with my back.

I just added the TQ holder into my daily carry because having it in my back pocket was creating issues.

I have a complete IFAK in my vehicle. As well as TQ and Gauze on each sunshade.

IMG_3692.jpeg IMG_3693.jpeg

Decided to get one of these. I know I was crapping on pocket carry med kits earlier in the thread, but I am curious to see what other people are doing. How easy to carry is it? Do I think it has enough stuff to be useful in a real trauma situation? Is it more viable than I am giving it credit for? Only one way to find out. .
Thanks for your business, and for being willing to give my product a shot. If you're not satisfied with it you're welcome to return it for a full refund.

Thanks for your business, and for being willing to give my product a shot. If you're not satisfied with it you're welcome to return it for a full refund.
No worries on that. It looks like quality supplies so I can just stuff it in another of my big kits if I decide I do not like pocket carry. You can never really have too many.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top