JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"FWIW when someone breaks into my car I feel pissed off, but not scared or in danger."

Had a female friend who was downtown come around the corner to find 2 guys breaking (the windows) into her unlocked car. She yelled at them from there and one of them pulled a gun out and shot at her. Close enough to hit the brick wall near her. She took off at a run with the shooter chasing her. She ran down the sidewalk and was told to hide in a 'tent group' by 2 guys. The shooter runs up and they 2 guys told him to go away. Took a moment but he turned and left the area. I am guessing the 2 good guys were veterans since they were willing to face down the shooter. (Could be wrong).

Sure, someone breaks into your car when you're not around does piss one off, but what if you are in your car and someone points a pistol at you or your family and wants your car? Happens very quickly and all too often. Many places in PDX can be safer but how many people walk their dog out in the dark at night now like they used to?

I am a political refugee now living in Texas.
Easy, it's their car for now. I'm not going to die for my insured car or even shoot someone for stealing it, but I have so little concern for this actually happening that it doesn't even fall into the realm of what I'd worry about in Portland.

I walk the dog at night with no worries at all. I can walk to old-town in 20 min. My neighborhood is hipsters and old hippies. My biggest hassle is rude pedestrians when driving and biggest crime worry is a broken car window so I make sure there's nothing visible in my car when parked on the street overnight. I make sure to lock my bikes in the shed and have most amazon deliveries sent to a locker.

Easy, it's their car for now. I'm not going to die for my insured car or even shoot someone for stealing it, but I have so little concern for this actually happening that it doesn't even fall into the realm of what I'd worry about in Portland.

I walk the dog at night with no worries at all. I can walk to old-town in 20 min. My neighborhood is hipsters and old hippies. My biggest hassle is rude pedestrians when driving and biggest crime worry is a broken car window so I make sure there's nothing visible in my car when parked on the street overnight. I make sure to lock my bikes in the shed and have most amazon deliveries sent to a locker.
You have so little concern of vehicle theft that it doesn't even fall into the realm of something to worry about…..

But

Your biggest crime worry is a broken car window so you make sure nothing is visible in your car.

Is it just me or do those two comments contradict eachother?

Perfect for you! You can stay right there in good old portland.....guess we all can't live in the woods, it would just get crowded and turn into a ship hoke too! Just hope your way of thinking stays far away from me

You have so little concern of vehicle theft that it doesn't even fall into the realm of something to worry about…..

But

Your biggest crime worry is a broken car window so you make sure nothing is visible in your car.

I was replying to issue of carjacking.

Junkies jonesing for a fix aren't going to steal my car —they can't—but they'll break a window in the middle of the night for….damn near anything not attached to the car they might be able to sell. The latter poses absolutely zero danger to my personal safety and my response to the risk is to avoid the hassle.

But

Just you :)

Everyone else can pretty much figure out that not having something that might tempt a thief is just good common sense no matter where you live

Perfect for you! You can stay right there in good old portland.....guess we all can't live in the woods, it would just get crowded and turn into a ship hoke too! Just hope your way of thinking stays far away from me
I don't like driving everywhere for everything I need—I walk four blocks to the grocery store—I like people, events, restaurants, new movies, libraries and I'M NOT AFRAID.. You can keep your thinking and I'll keep mine.

I don't like driving everywhere for everything I need—I walk four blocks to the grocery store—I like people, events, restaurants, new movies, libraries and I'M NOT AFRAID.. You can keep your thinking and I'll keep mine.
You like new movies?
Man , I have been hitting like single digit percentage on new movies for over a decade. That goofy Nicholas Cage joint where he played himself was kinda funny, but so Damm cringey.

I'm amazed at what people are "ok with" in America nowadays. No wonder this country is going to sh!t.

Just you :)

Everyone else can pretty much figure out that not having something that might tempt a thief is just good common sense no matter where you live
When you're surrounded by junkie thieves everything is a temptation...

It's usually not a problem until it becomes your problem. It's a gamble, a game of odds. Go to places where there are more drugged out junkies and your odds increase.

Odds of your car getting broke into or you getting stabbed while sitting at Starbucks minding your own business are much better in Portland vs Dallas or Monmouth.

You like new movies?
Man , I have been hitting like single digit percentage on new movies for over a decade. That goofy Nicholas Cage joint where he played himself was kinda funny, but so Damm cringey.
I'm more boggled by "I like people" 😆 Hard pass for me. I like some people but the smaller the crowd the better.

When you're surrounded by junkie thieves everything is a temptation...

It's usually not a problem until it becomes your problem. It's a gamble, a game of odds. Go to places where there are more drugged out junkies and your odds increase.

Odds of your car getting broke into or you getting stabbed while sitting at Starbucks minding your own business are much better in Portland vs Dallas or Monmouth.
It's just property damage. No big deal.

The owner fronts the bill and writes their own police report. Cops don't show up. And even if you know who did it they won't be arrested. And if they are arrested it will only be the 50th time and they'll be let out the next day cause there aren't any public defenders…. And it's cruel and inhumane to keep them in jail until one can be appointed to them.

Don't worry though. Public Safety is a top priority….. they'll invest in more traffic barrels. That will fix it.

Lol.

I think it's safe to say it's gone to sh!t.....from what I can see we need a miracle to ever get back to something that resembles normal. People just put there blinders on and deal with the nonsense.....Portland is so gross
The thing is it's an America problem (large blue cities) not just a Portland problem.

It has long lasting effects on our country. Simply due to the ignorance/blinders to crime/evil and a devoted spirit to Anti America ideologies. No one wants to serve in LE, Military or other first responder fields. Our country is getting weaker by the minute and I promise you we will see a violent effect from what the American people have allowed to take place and evolve into what it is today.

Tolerance breeds violence.

What I really want to know is how many of the people that say they would never go to downtown PDX now actually ever went there before
Really?

Oh I had a fine time last time I was there. Homeless junkies everywhere. A nice fine young lady screaming at the top of her lungs throwing things around right in front of those gates in Chinatown while everyone just walks by pretending she isn't there fighting demons.

Having a little chat with a young security guard in a little strip mall telling me how all he does all day is chase off homeless vagrants...

Not as bad as downtown Chicago but then again my buddies that live in Chicago are always saying "it isn't as bad as people say..." so what do I know?

Though I will admit I'd walk around downtown Portland at night and not worry too much about going into the wrong neighborhood whereas I wouldn't get out of my car at night in most areas of Chicago. 🤣

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top