JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Greetings. First post. Been lurking for a while and quite impressed with this community in many respects.

My questions are regarding the rights and processes for Oregon residents to purchase and receive transferred rifles and lower receivers in Idaho pre-114, and to import them into Oregon.

This post is in response to a delay on a BGC, the opacity in the OSP processes for BGCs, and the impending changes brought by 114.

My partner and I are law abiding Oregon citizens who can and will pass all state and federal BGCs -- provided there is actually somebody available to complete them. One of us already passed instantly (very uncommon name + spotless record) and was able to successfully purchase a handgun. The other has been delayed without explanation for weeks (more common name and non-spotless, but not even close to invalidating record.) This is not an attempt to get around any Oregon laws. This is an attempt to understand if there is a way to fully comply with ALL applicable laws as they currently exist AND to legally purchase a firearm. Trying to figure out the laws so that we can be confident in our affirmative compliance has proven to be a Herculean task which, despite a legal background and extensive professional research skills, my partner and I have found remarkably difficult to accomplish.

I know that some people do not feel that background checks are Constitutional or reasonable. Personally, I do not have a problem with a clearly defined and efficiently run background check system. What I do have a big problem with is a system that has unclear rules and arbitrary or seemingly arbitrary enforcement. You want to make everyone wait 3 days or 30 days to make sure they didn't start threatening their ex last week, I'm OK with that and find that a reasonable compromise to endure. You want to apply the law differently to different citizens without explanation or recourse? That's an abuse of power, and I'll take a road trip just to take a stand against that if it's legal for me to do so. It's within the power and duty of the state of Oregon to create a process that is effective, consistently applied, and easily understood. They have failed to meet each of these obligations.

Please do not respond to this post (except to say hi!) if you are guessing or just sharing your opinion of what ought to be. I am looking for reliable feedback from professional FFLs who put their livelihoods on the line dealing with these issues daily and very informed/active members of the local firearms and/or legal communities to help me understand what the laws are in some specific cases. I am willing to pay a lawyer for guidance if that is necessary, and if that is the case, a referral to someone who really understands the nuances of these specific issues would be appreciated.

1.) It is legal for an Oregon resident to purchase a rifle in Idaho, including a semi-automatic rifle, and to then return over the border without any Oregon FFL or OSP BGC involvement. (T/F)

2.) This is not the case with handguns, including ARs assigned as pistols, which must go to an Oregon FFL and be subjected to the OSP BGC process. (T/F)

3.) Is it legal for an Oregon resident to purchase a rifle from a 3rd state, have it transferred to an FFL in Idaho, submit to federal BGC at Idaho FFL and then return to Oregon by car with said rifle? By air with appropriate TSA compliance? (Y/N)

4.) Do AR lower receivers that have never been assigned as a rifle or a pistol fall under the rifle rules, the pistol rules, or some other set of rules for these purposes? Can an Oregon resident legally purchase and/or receive after transfer an unassigned lower in Idaho, drive back over the border, and then add a pistol brace and a short barrel without requiring an NFA stamp? (Y/N)

5.) Does anything in 114 impact any of the current laws with regard to purchase, transfer or transport of rifles, rifle lower receivers, or unassigned lower receivers for an Oregon resident dealing with an Idaho FFL? (Y/N - if so, how/what?)

114 sucks for a LOT of reasons, and a number of liberal voters who I know have been convinced of that by some pretty simple arguments. I would encourage those of you who are inclined to dismiss liberals as unreachable or not driven by reason to reach out to more of them, because every liberal I've spoken to has gotten it instantly when they realize that the cops are all on Team MAGA, and do they really want those people deciding who gets to have a gun if the kooks start their civil war? Look, Ma! No hunting or plinking or self defense arguments! Just good old fashioned "duh, that's the WHOLE POINT of the Second Amendment! Do you get it now?"

Don't treat people who don't get it as if they are your enemies or are idiots who can't understand things. Treat your fellow Americans as if they are your family who just haven't learned a lesson yet, and don't forget that you love them and want to help them grow. There is no separating America. We rise and fall together. America is beautiful and precious, and we all must be careful to stay vigilant that we do not trample on one right in the defense of another. We really do need all of them.

Remember September 12, 2001. The day we were truly united.

Many thanks for your help and much respect to any first responders out there.

because every liberal I've spoken to has gotten it instantly when they realize that the cops are all on Team MAGA, and do they really want those people deciding who gets to have a gun if the kooks start their civil war?

That's ridiculous. Cops are people and like all people, they have varying political views. Even if most cops tend to lean right, saying cops are all Trump supporters (even the republicans) is a silly argument to try to persuade liberals.

And IBTL

That's ridiculous. Cops are people and like all people, they have varying political views. Even if most cops tend to lean right, saying cops are all Trump supporters (even the republicans) is a silly argument to try to persuade liberals.

And IBTL
I agree with you, and have LEO friends with a variety of political views. Many of the people that need convincing believe it, though. And if you dialogue with people on the basis of what they already believe, they often become more receptive to thinking about the subject and come to understand important points faster.

Following your input disclaimer... I would say that FFL's are not attorney's and, from experience, can be just as ill informed as the next guy.

My advice.... if you seek professional level definitive answers to your questions... pony up and seek professional legal advice... not an internet forum.

Just sayin......

It is sound advice to contact a lawyer. I did ask for referrals on the off chance someone can recommend a good one who actually deals with the subject regularly. We are definitely not intending to substitute internet forum guidance for attorney guidance, nor do we plan to take a statement from an FFL or random forum poster and not do our due diligence to follow up on any guidance given.

BATFE Q&As cover a number of interstate transfer questions.
Thank you. This does have a lot of valuable information. I had actually found this page before, and unless I am missing something there, it doesn't really address our specific questions or situation. I appreciate your response, and I will read through the link again in case I missed something.

For what it's worth....

1. Yes. Better yet, buy private-party in Idaho.
2. True.
3. If all parties are willing/legally able, yes. But to be aware that most FFL's will only ship to an FFL in your state of residence. Likewise, many FFL's will only accept owners self shipments from the owners state of residence.

Basically, you are using FFL's to ship a firearm you own to yourself in another state, which is legal... although in practice... not always reasonably doable. You're better off to transport it or TSA it yourself. (Some states have laws that disallow the option entirely)

Non FFL self shipping may still be an option, but why you would go to all the trouble when transporting it via vehicle... or the rather painless option of TSA'ing it... is so much easier... I don't know. If I had family in those areas, it's certainly more doable. (Take possession from the FFL in the 3rd state, follow self shipment laws to yourself at your family members address... etc etc.)

4. (A) An AR reciever alone is not classified as either pistol/rifle, but is most commonly treated as a rifle under typical state laws. Or rather... "not a pistol". (B) If, when and until the new rule goes into affect you can.
5. No.

Last Edited:
re: #5 I recall reading the measure and there are exceptions for transferring from in-state FFL to an out of state FFL For firearms and standard cap magazines. Take a read for the details (or the insanity)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top