JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's the cops issue. Not yours/mine. My actions aren't dictated by how someone else feels. But that's just me. I have had both positive and negative interactions. I have found when you interject that a gun is in the vehicle it adds even more stress to a poorly trained officer. If they ask about a CHL I say I have one but no gun is present. It cools the situation quickly.
I have not said anything about stating that a gun is or is not in the vehicle. Only about informing the officer that one is a CHL holder. And not verbally, but by presenting it with my DL. I am only relating my personal experience and what has worked for me. That's the last I'll comment on the issue. You all can debate rights if you want.

Being from a LEO family, and having worked directly with several agencies, both federal and local, I can tell you without hesitation that the more courtious and forthcoming you are when 'dealing' with law enforcement, no matter what the reason, the better you will fair. I have received warnings vice citations several times entirely because I deal with LE in a professional manner. You treat them as you would have them treat you; end of story.

To do otherwise is not recommended, and to start spouting off legalistic or 'constitutional' crap at them is flat stupid.

I have not said anything about stating that a gun is or is not in the vehicle. Only about informing the officer that one is a CHL holder. And not verbally, but by presenting it with my DL. I am only relating my personal experience and what has worked for me. That's the last I'll comment on the issue. You all can debate rights if you want.
I completely understand and respect that. We all have different experiences and outlooks on scenarios. And I am with you on arguing rights. I'm not gunna waist my time.

Violation of a traffic law is not justification for a vehicle search.
Friend, I'm glad you're paying attention. I did not say a vehicle search. Fourth Amendment is not limited to physical searches. Mere interaction with a LEO is subject to the 4th Amendment constraints. Pulling a person over for no apparent reason is a violation of the 4th Amendment. Hence when you give them a reason to pull you over, you effectively give up some of the 4th Amendment protections. You can further get down the rabbit hole by having something in plain view that can escalate to a vehicle search, and so on. I hope me spelling it like we're in the 5th grade and haven't covered the subject like a million times makes it easier for others to digest.

Being from a LEO family, and having worked directly with several agencies, both federal and local, I can tell you without hesitation that the more courtious and forthcoming you are when 'dealing' with law enforcement, no matter what the reason, you will fair better. I have received warnings vice citations several times entirely because I deal with LE in a professional manner. You treat them as you would have them treat you; end of story.

To do otherwise is not recommended, and to start spouting off legalistic or 'constitutional' crap at them is flat stupid.
I'm not saying be an a$$ to LE. But I am reserved and only answer questions that pertain to the situation. After working in LE I watched people bury themselves without even knowing they were doing so. It's great for cops though. I'll attest to that.

I dont think you should just spout off the constitution but I think it's important to know your rights so you are not manipulated (also have seen it first hand).

I'll leave it at that.

Friend, I'm glad you're paying attention. I did not say a vehicle search. Fourth Amendment is not limited to physical searches. Mere interaction with a LEO is subject to the 4th Amendment constraints. Pulling a person over for no apparent reason is a violation of the 4th Amendment. Hence when you give them a reason to pull you over, you effectively give up some of the 4th Amendment protections. You can further get down the rabbit hole by having something in plain view that can escalate to a vehicle search, and so on. I hope me spelling it like we're in the 5th grade and haven't covered the subject like a million times makes it easier for others to digest.
Now this I agree with. I think I misunderstood your original premise. My apologies.

Good ol plain view doctrine will get you in a pinch.

Anyone know of any resources or links to reputable legal challenges to 114? I'm not sure how these things work, it might be too early, but legal challenges have been mentioned by some sheriff statements and posts

Anyone know of any resources or links to reputable legal challenges to 114? I'm not sure how these things work, it might be too early, but legal challenges have been mentioned by some sheriff statements and posts
I don't think we will see any challenges until the vote is certified, at the earliest. They might wait until it goes into effect in order to have standing, but I am not a lawyer, much less a constitutional lawyer.

I don't think we will see any challenges until the vote is certified, at the earliest. They might wait until it goes into effect in order to have standing, but I am not a lawyer, much less a constitutional lawyer.
It has to go in effect AND be enforced, so one can show damages thus having standing you've mentioned. Also not a lawyer though :D

Follow Firearms Policy Coalition on twitter if you have it. They aren't useless like the NRA and have good lawyers. They have stated they have the lawsuit ready to file. https://www.firearmspolicy.org/

Just my suspicions, but I have little doubt that the papers are already drawn up and just waiting to have a date put on them . . .
There may be some papers crafted that challenge the validity of the measure itself, like if it violated the established process or something. But there can't be anything drafted to challenge the individual elements under say 2A until there is at least one person whose rights are affected.

Because, I have found from personal experience, if you have one (a CHL) and don't tell them, and they find out after running your plates, some of them can get a real attitude, and it makes your interaction with them more difficult. After experiencing this once, I now hand my CHL to them with my DL. Each time I have done this, they have politely asked if I have a firearm in my possession, returned my CHL to me, and gone about their business. As you noted, they are going to find out anyway, so I see no harm in letting them know right away if it makes them more comfortable. I see no reason to needlessly complicate an interaction with law enforcement . It has nothing to do with "rights."
Don't they run your plates before they get out of the car?

There are so many threads on this subject that I'm not sure which one to ask, maybe I should start a new one, LOL. My co worker asked if his fixed mag SKS was effected by this measure, I really didn't know. Does anyone more familiar with it know how these types of firearms are effected?

Don't they run your plates before they get out of the car?
In many jurisdictions they run your plates before they even think about pulling you over :D ANPR (ALPR) - Automatic Number (License) Plate Recognition.
That wasn't my impression. But I haven't been pulled over in quite a while and technology changes rapidly. The incident I related where the officer got pissed at me for not telling him was probably pretty close to 20 years ago.

There are so many threads on this subject that I'm not sure which one to ask, maybe I should start a new one, LOL. My co worker asked if his fixed mag SKS was effected by this measure, I really didn't know. Does anyone more familiar with it know how these types of firearms are effected?
I don't think so. A fixed mag SKS only holds 10 rounds.

That wasn't my impression. But I haven't been pulled over in quite a while and technology changes rapidly. The incident I related where the officer got pissed at me for not telling him was probably pretty close to 20 years ago.
On the ride alongs I've been on, the plates were ran before exiting the car. This is at least how they were all done when I was along both times roughly 18 and 20 years ago.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top