JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Only one caliber:

• 9MM

Votes: 88 45.4%
  • 357SIG

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • .40S&W

Votes: 23 11.9%
  • .45ACP

Votes: 56 28.9%
  • .45 SUPER

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • .400 CORBON

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10MM

Votes: 24 12.4%
  • 9x25 DILLON

• .50AE

• .440 CORBON

• Total voters
9mm
Small, plenty of load options, affordable, common and somehow always on sale when Im hunting for it.
Its also very manageable recoil wise.
Also, there are plenty of 9mm carbine options. If 9mm was the only game in town, you could also feed your carbine for fairly cheap as well as your pistol.

I have no emotional skin in the game, as an engineer it just seems to me the .40S&W is a nice balance that satisfies both the capacity argument and the "your caliber must start with a 4" argument. And the power/energy argument, no it's not a 10mm but if you get +P hot loads you're certainly heading in that direction. If I were stating all over I'd ditch my 9mm and go with .40.

If we could get rid of every caliber and go with only one semi-auto cartridge to make things simple... which one would you choose and why?
The list is too short. There are several 9mm and 45 caliber handguns. I really like 38 super. It is like a 9X19 on steroids. More punch than 9X19 without the recoil of the heavier bullets in the 40 and 45.
Also, you can own it in Mexico because it was never a round used by any military in the world.
It sure is a good thing I am not forced to choose.

For those advocating 9X19, it should be noted that Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany had a bad arm and thus, could only shoot any gun with just one hand.
Thus, he would hunt stag (rather successfully, I might add) with a Luger Carbine.
Check it out....

Last Edited:
If my vote were based on economic factors (price/availability/cartridge options) 9mm; if based on what I like to carry and shoot, 40S&W. However, as many have said: Glad I have multiple options, as I like to shoot and carry my 1911 in 45acp as well.

It is not listed but for me it would have to be the 357 Magnum, it is a great round. It is used in double actions, single actions and rifles.

It is a very versatile round and is a proven man and animal stopper.

For those advocating 9X19, it should be noted that Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany had a bad arm and thus, could only shoot any gun with just one hand.
Thus, he would hunt stag (rather successfully, I might add) with a Luger Carbine.
Check it out....

Pretty sure that's in 7.65

I would have picked .22 - because I can throw 300 of them in my bag and won't even notice the weight difference. 177g for 50 in .22 vs. 627g for 50 in 9mm.

Don't get the comparison. 36 grain (average .22lr) x 50 is 1800. 115 (low end for 9mm) x 50 is 5750.

What did I miss here?

And a round for round comparison between .22 and 9mm is just ridiculous.

I would have picked .22 - because I can throw 300 of them in my bag and won't even notice the weight difference. 177g for 50 in .22 vs. 627g for 50 in 9mm.
Using the figures you posted here, one could only carry 14 9mm rounds to equal the weight of the 50 .22's.

-------------

coop44,

The 9mm modification to the 7.65 happened in 1902, so this gun could be chambered for either....at the time, however, it was probably more prevalent in 7.65. You'll likely find later versions (even though the initial run only lasted a couple of years, the option was made available much later on, as well) chambered in 9mm.

Dean

Now that you brought it up. Why isn't 7.65 on the list?

Dunno the 7.65 aka .30 luger, is a cool little round. The 9MM didn't come around until '08.

Going to have to hit the books and research it a bit, the one in the video is likely a 30 luger , the zippy little round is singing along at 1300fps, suitable for close range game. I thought the pistol 1908 (P 08) was the advent of the 9.

Last Edited:
Don't get the comparison. 36 grain (average .22lr) x 50 is 1800. 115 (low end for 9mm) x 50 is 5750.

What did I miss here?

And a round for round comparison between .22 and 9mm is just ridiculous.
I was talking cartridge weight in grams not bullet weight in grains. So if you can only have one caliber, that would be my choice. All pros and cons considered. If I had only 1 choice it would be the one that I would throw into my bug out bag - and then weight and versatility would matter. I shoot plenty of other calibers, but if you are forced to make one choice, other considerations come into play.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top