JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Only one caliber:

• 9MM

Votes: 88 45.4%
  • 357SIG

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • .40S&W

Votes: 23 11.9%
  • .45ACP

Votes: 56 28.9%
  • .45 SUPER

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • .400 CORBON

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10MM

Votes: 24 12.4%
  • 9x25 DILLON

• .50AE

• .440 CORBON

• Total voters
If we could get rid of every caliber and go with only one semi-auto cartridge to make things simple... which one would you choose and why?
This on page one. The original post. It requires reading more than just the header.

And this is the poll:

1. *
    9MM
    45 vote(s)
    48.4%

2. 357SIG
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%

3. .40S&W
    11 vote(s)
    11.8%

4. .45ACP
    28 vote(s)
    30.1%

5. .45 SUPER
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%

6. .400 CORBON
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%

7. 10MM
    9 vote(s)
    9.7%

8. 9x25 DILLON
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%

9. .50AE
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%

10. .440 CORBON

I am a USPSA competitor and that is the main reason why I'd go with 9mm.

But 40 is a really close 2nd. In fact, one reason why 40 would be great is because it has a large reloading range, considering bullets and velocities.

If we could get rid of every caliber and go with only one...cartridge to make things simple... which one would you choose and why?
None of the choices in your poll fit my criteria, so I didn't vote. Personally, I wouldn't exclude revolver cartridges, so I altered your question slightly, to better reflect the answers I gave. Keep in mind though, there are Semi-Auto guns for all of these cartridges (actually, not sure about the Special, but could sub .38 Super for S-A work and handload to fit occasion).
#1 would be .22 rimfire. Guns are often simple and fairly high capacity, ammo is cheap, etc, etc. Pretty much a no-brainer. I believe a box of 50 fits takes up about 3/8 the space of a box of .410's, leaving about 12 of the shotty rounds to use in your Springfield M6 survival gun (not counting the 4 you've got hidden in your stock)...and the whole package fits into a ruck sack very easily....OR, A model 34/63 (or 94!) dropped inside your creel, or your pocket, to accompany you on casual hiking/fishing trips.
#2 would be .38 Special. Not the most powerful, but still a good accurate caliber. Recoil is manageable and lighter loads make for a fun plinker, while more aggressive versions can do some damage. Ammo is fairly cheap and easy to find. Guns can be high quality, or can be fairly inexpensive (or a nice compromise of both)...and they too are easy to find and easy to carry. A nice step up from .22 when you feel the need for a little more power.
#3 would be .44 Magnum. When you feel the need for some real stoppage in a compact package, its become the ol' standby. Powerful, yet controllable in a reasonably sized gun. When your main concern is something like Griz or Polar's the size of small condominiums, or you're being faced down by 1200 lbs. of angry moose, its a comforting thought to know you've got 5-7 rounds of Federal P44E's to back up your escape route.
There ya' go. 3 different rounds for 3 different situations. Which one to pick? Which suits the situation you're about step into, the best?
Good luck.

Dean

Last Edited:
No it isn't. Title says "Only 1 handgun caliber." Poll says "Only one caliber." I can think of TWO semiautos that the .357 performs flawlessly. And you even listed one of the calibers of one of those platforms.

You also missed my point entirely.
You are correct.. the misleading (not purposeful Im sure) wording confused me as well cuz laast I knew revolvers fire "handgun" calibers.o_O

Simple, 9mm. Enough penetration to easily brain elephants with standard pressure ball.. and then there's the much more exotic loadings that solve other requirements handily. The 9mm is unequaled in ammunition selection.
An old ww2 vet told me that a hit just about anywhere from the "German Luger" would spin a guy around and :eek:throw him to the ground!

This on page one. The original post. It requires reading more than just the header.

And this is the poll:

1. *
    9MM
    45 vote(s)
    48.4%

2. 357SIG
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%

3. .40S&W
    11 vote(s)
    11.8%

4. .45ACP
    28 vote(s)
    30.1%

5. .45 SUPER
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%

6. .400 CORBON
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%

7. 10MM
    9 vote(s)
    9.7%

8. 9x25 DILLON
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%

9. .50AE
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%

10. .440 CORBON
The answer is still "none" because the .357 is a far more versatile round than the above.. or are revolvers no longer "handguns"? :rolleyes:

You are correct.. the misleading (not purposeful Im sure) wording confused me as well cuz laast I knew revolvers fire "handgun" calibers.o_O
I can think of two revolvers that fire "rifle" rounds.
One is the Ruger Blackhawk. At one time (maybe still?) it was chambered for .30 carbine. A round purposefully built (actually, modded)) for a small rifle during WWII.
The other is, of course, the BFR, when chambered for .45-70 or .30-30.
So, for the most part, you are right. However, while not the most common of events, it does happen.

Dean

If we could get rid of every caliber and go with only one semi-auto cartridge to make things simple... which one would you choose and why?
I suppose if suddenly only one handgun caliber were available forever and ever, weapons, accessories and laws would all evolve - rapidly. But without knowing how that might play out, I'm basing my choice/opinion upon the weapons and accessories that exist today.

While no single caliber/round can be optimum for every application, 9mm affords variety, versatility, availability, affordability, concealability and capacity. With all that going for it, it's funny that I don't have one of my own. But I enjoy shooting my wife's.

Last Edited:
.45 ACP. Because it not only kills the person, it kills the soul. :rolleyes:

I'd go .45 ACP. But I'm biased since my favorite handgun is the 1911, and a 1911 chambered in anything else is blasphemous (okay, maybe I'm just heavily invested in the round). ;)

I voted for the 10mm although I don't own one at the moment. If they were to get rid of all other calibers I would want something that would work for both self defense and something that I could hunt with and would be good for bear defense.

I would love to get a 1911 style double stack 10mm :D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top