JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Only one caliber:

• 9MM

Votes: 88 45.4%
  • 357SIG

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • .40S&W

Votes: 23 11.9%
  • .45ACP

Votes: 56 28.9%
  • .45 SUPER

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • .400 CORBON

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10MM

Votes: 24 12.4%
  • 9x25 DILLON

• .50AE

• .440 CORBON

• Total voters
I said .40 S&W.

There are better cartridges for different uses, but I believe the .40 is the best compromise. Easy to shoot, cheap to shoot, and availability is great. Velocity and energy is high enough it could be used for survival purposes.

impossible choice! IMG_2194.jpg

It would have to be capable of sub & supersonic loads, work well in all platforms.. Revolvers, semi autos, as well as pistol caliber carbines. Big enough to take down a bear, but small enough for a squirrel. You could still load bird shot in it so that helps... Hmmm. That's a tuffy!
edit: just noticed "semi-auto" in the OP... that changes it a bit...

At present, I only stock 2 calibers: .45ACP and .380ACP for no other reason than because I like the letters A, C & P., and perhaps because I don't think I need anything else at this time.

I know 9mm is much cheaper and plentiful, so maybe someday I'll add it, or just get all 9mm handguns. I like keeping things as simple as possible.

9mm. Cheap, low recoil for even inexperienced shooters, mag usually hold a bunch and it's the most popular and available handgun caliber in the world. And with ammo technology advancing as it has, quite capable stopping power.

If 9mm was the answer, why so much effort to replace it? It predates every other viable pistol caliber. You would think they wiuld have just stopped with it.
Probably out of all of them 9mm makes the most sense, you would have to have a plethora of different loads for different situations...and I think 9mm probably has the most options.. still a little light for big game, but maybe if it was the only one, they could develope a bigger hotter +p load. Simplicity is not a good premise for having only one caliber.

If 9mm was the answer, why so much effort to replace it? It predates every other viable pistol caliber. You would think they wiuld have just stopped with it.

Because until recently, it has not been powerful enough. It's starting to be more widely accepted that new hollow point technology is giving 9mm better abilities to penetrate light barriers and still have enough power to stop a person.

I would choose 9mm as well, although a lot of calibers would get a lot cheaper if it were the only cartridge out there. If I didn't already own a lot of 9mm's, I would probably choose 38 super, which would theoretically be as cheap as 9mm without giving up mag capacity, or for that matter 7.62x25mm Tokarev would probaby be an even better answer. Cheaper (less lead and copper, faster, more energy). I digress.

I have a lot of 40's and 45's as well. They tell me 40SW is a dying caliber. I noticed that 40's seem to be selling cheaper on gun broker right now. It looks like HK is dumping a lot of 40 cal P30's.

If you made me pick one of my pistols to get in a gun fight with though, Infinity 10mm

Last Edited:
Simplicity is not a good premise for having only one caliber.
If "simplicity" is your premise then, yes, having only one caliber is about as simple as it gets. Mission Accomplished.

Perhaps you meant to say "Versatility is not a good premise for having only one caliber."? Because that makes more sense.

Personally, I'm not at the point in my shootin' experience to say that I desire many caliber options. My uses right now are fairly limited to personal defense and close target shooting (10 yards or less). Since this thread is about handguns, my desire to keep it simple leads me to conclude that, for me, .45 and .380 works nicely. If I had to choose only one, I'd go .45 and remain quite satisfied.

9mm.

Started shooting it at age 4, probably 50 lbs soaking wet.

I shoot it now at 40 @ 270 lbs bare arse nekkid.

Also, it's cheap, almost all simi's are chambered in it, plentiful and versital as a lot of folks have said.

Having said that I'm glad we don't have to narrow it down to only one:D.

9mm of the list.

...I don't see 5.7 up there though. If it were, it might be our choice.

I thought about that as well. if 5.7 or 22-TCM were the only caliber out there, they would be really cheap, because there are significantly less costly raw materials used. Recoil on those is lighter than 9mm, capacity is high, as well and there is less drop over distance. A rifle length barrel could take down game. I think I would want more real life data on effectiveness before I used for defense though. That's why I compromised with the 7.62x25 Tokarev. Those old commie rounds for the sub guns were loaded hot, and it is still a decent size bullet.

I thought about that as well. if 5.7 or 22-TCM were the only caliber out there, they would be really cheap, because there are significantly less costly raw materials used. Recoil on those is lighter than 9mm, capacity is high, as well and there is less drop over distance. A rifle length barrel could take down game. I think I would want more real life data on effectiveness before I used for defense though. That's why I compromised with the 7.62x25 Tokarev. Those old commie rounds for the sub guns were loaded hot, and it is still a decent size bullet.

Yar. 5.7 is the go to round for the house rifle (PS90, red dot), lighting permitting. Depending upon the round, will not go through the house and neighborhood and into the elementary school acrossed the way.

It would be the goto after dark house hand gun round as well, but our Kydex holster maker was pretty sure the weapon light we had brought for fitment wouldn't survive the heat of forming the holster.

So we had him form using a TLR1 we had mounted to a Canik TP9SF. Works a charm on that handgun, but would've been too bulky (IMO) on the FN.

It is a comfort carrying the FN and a spare magazine (40 rounds), at likely 2/3 the weight for the same in 9mm though. 2 boxes of 50 rounds take up about the same space/weight as 1 of 9mm, and being in 2 boxes can stash easily in our packs, along with another magazine.

I don't partake in nonsense polls, but I do point out the folly in leaving .357 magnum out in favor of four wildcats. What does this question do to further the conversation? I don't shoot for "simplicity." Why would you restrict yourself? Here's a similar question: which limb would you chop off at the ankle/wrist, and why?

Utter nonsense.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads