JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Tough question!

Have several platforms & multiples of such.

AR15, AR10, PS90, AK, AK74, Mini-14, PTR-91. One lonely SKS paratrooper style (takes AK magazines).

AK pistol is pretty decent & handy braced (Zastava M92).

Had been thinking on SBR'ing an AK74 & a PS90. Would improve there PDW type use.

-So honestly can't answer the question, other than "it depends"...

"Mostly" static would more likely be AR10/PTR91's, due to the weight, size & ammunition weight/magazine size.

(Removing AR15 platform)-if more mobile, but not "working", then more likely AK74's. Followed by AK47, with mini-14 & SKS para type last choices.

If working? More likely PS90, perhaps Zastava.

As in all things, having plans and ideas is great. Never having been in combat, nor a defensive shooting, the "general" idea behind the above thought process is to have enough "on us" to act defensively & break contact "to get to better arms", if possible that is...

-Getting into 5.45 now? Not a great idea, IMO. Simply due to the ammunition blight, along with the stupid Russian ammo ban moving forwards. Not that it won't be available, just more cost prohibitive (comparably) is all.

Sks
Still affordable, big parts, lots of folks own them. The only drawback is ammo if the 7.62x39 supply is hindered.
In its basic form, its a very capable rifle. Even with a limited capacity of 10 rounds.
Id normally say AK.. but if AR's are not around Ill assume the same for an AK.

If 7.62x39 was off the table as are ARs.. if we're talking carbines only.. Id feel capable with a mini 14. Again, a commonly owned firearm, can shoot 5.56 and can do what people need within 200 yards.
(Cue the broad side of a barn jokes)

Yeah and why would you want to haul around a bren 2 when you could carry some kind of M1 variant like half this thread prefers :s0114:

The ideal SHTF rifle is ancient, heavy, with lots of wood
I wouldn't carry the Bren 2, which is why I sold it, but some love it. I wouldn't carry an m1 variant, because it's heavy, old and has lots of wood. It's preference.

Say there is a reason why something AR is a no-go for a primary preparedness carbine for whatever reason — bad experience with them, legal reasons, just prefer something else, the Intergalactic Space Pickles abducted all the ARs, or whatever. What would your choice be for a self-loader as a primary rifle/carbine?

For this inquiry, anything goes assuming:

• Is a self-loader; semi-automatic or select-fire.
  • It is not an AR-pattern rifle.
  • Magazine or clip fed.
  • In an appropriate caliber (e.g., 5.56x45㎜ NATO, 5.7x28㎜ FN, .30 Carbine, 7.62x39㎜ Soviet, 7.62x51㎜ NATO, 5.45x39㎜ Soviet, .30'06 Springfield, et al.)
  • Is legal and at least somewhat available to individuals in the Pacific Northwest.
What would it be and why? What upgrades would you put in place? Thanks for sharing!

(This question isn't completely random. Early last year I encountered an issue that brought this to the fore. Original thought was an M1A Tanker, with good glass, a pile of magazines, and the big silencer attached to said. Backup idea was a CETME-L, fed from existing STANAG magazines, and, maybe, hang the 5.56㎜ can from said. Then I forgot about it and wandered away for a spell. Then, bizarrely, found the answer in the M1 Carbine and now on a hard target search for an M2. Though I'm not going to kid myself that the search is ever really over. Beep-beep.)
If the AR is not an option, it is because it was banned. That means likely all other semi autos would likely go with it. Most non ARs would likely be deemed the same.

So to answer this inquiry, I'd go outside the realm of semi autos and say my choice would be a bolt gun in 223/556 that accepts stanag magazines. If "REM Arms" brings back the 7615 that would be even more preferable.

Id also imagine if semis get banned. More types of firearms we have yet to see will become available. Pump actions, lever actions, etc.

Does it HAVE to be a rifle? I've long stated my first choice for a true SHTF primary gun is a 12ga cylinder bore. Often pump action, though to fit criteria of autoloading, I'd go with a Benelli M4 with a regular, non pistol stock and the full 7 round tube. The versatility of a 12ga can't be matched, though capacity and range I'll admit are a drawback

If my choice MUST be a rifle, I'd go with an X95 tavor as it's close enough to an AR to be an AR without being an AR.

Last Edited:
I would choose an M1A Socom 16 , a small-ish carbine that hits hard down range and recoil is not bad at all

download.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads