JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I paid in full for a handgun 15 days ago. It was out of stock so they ordered it for me and I couldn't do any paperwork until it arrived because they needed the serial number.
So as soon as it came in I went to the shop and filled out my papers. That was 9 days ago. I was told at the store it could take up to 10 days but sometimes as little as 5.
I called to check on it after work and they told me it has been "delayed" and I wouldn't be allowed to pick it up until this coming wednesday. So now I have to wait 15 days to pick up my pistol. This stinks! I've gotten my cpl since then (which doesn't make a difference now that I've started the ball rolling. I now have a cpl and a cwp in 2 states, this will be my third firearm purchase in Washington, my last purchase being about a year ago. I've also bought 2 other handguns in other states and now they are "delaying" my ability to pick up a firearm?
I've never had to wait that long and I haven't had more than a parking ticket since my last purchase. What gives? How can you"delay" me, whatever that means, but then tell me when I can pick it up? So, legally I can pick it up, but I have to wait longer? I'm trying but I don't know if I can stay angry that long...

it's the sheriff's office that "delay" the sale. it's not the gun shop that is delaying it. they have no reason to.

My buddy went through the same BS a few times but never found out why because the Sheriff's office won't disclose that information.

Washington state dealer handgun transactions suck without your CWP, you and your dealer are totally at the mercy of the local LEO. The minimum you have to wait is 5 business days (that does not include the day you fill out the paperwork, weekends or hollidays either). Thats one of the many reasons why I moved back home to Oregon. Down here we have to pay $10 for a background check, but we usually get the gun without much more than about 10 minutes or so waiting on the phone for the approval.

I called my local pd, the same one that issued me a cpl in 15 minutes the day before, I didn't give my name because I didn't want to ruffle any feathers. Although I may have given myself away since I mentioned that I had just gotten my cpl there the day before, for all I know I was the only applicant that day for all I know. It looked like a ghost town in there when I went but I may have just been lucky with my timing. The officer I spoke to on the phone said it is the department of mental/social services that drags their feet sometimes. She said most everything they need to check they can access right away but the dept of mental health or whatever sometimes takes their time in responding to the pd. I told her I had bought a pistol about a year ago, but I was at a different address. She said my local jurisdiction had to do it so that wouldn't make a difference.
I didn't want to bug her too much so after a couple questions I just told her I just didn't understand the process and wanted to check how it all worked and why I would be delayed, then politely thanked her for her help as she sounded irritated by my second question and couldn't see myself helping the situation by asking any more questions. So that's all I have to go with for now.
The guy I talked to at the shop told me they have friends that are cops that will come in off duty with a cpl and get "delayed" because even with the cpl they have to call it in and someone may see something they don't like or whatever and delay the process. He said sometimes law enforcement officers will have to go through the same bs. So I guess I will just legally carry one of the pistols I already own legally concealed legally until they decide to release it or whatever but the gentleman on the phone seemed to know when I would be able to pick it up by. Maybe the pd tells them "we should have all ther info processed but such a date or maybe some sheriff goes "nah, make him wait, I didn't like his baseball cap"for all I know.must not be the same officer that issued my cpl because she was a sweetheart. I just don't understand-wouldn't the same info they needed to release the gun be the same info they accessed instantly when they issued my cpl or do they say "hey, this guy might be crazy but he doesn't have any felonies, just give him a cpl and send him on his way"? I don't want to carry an old gun concealed, I sold my favorite pistol to funds this project and I want to carry something shiny and new! Well it's not really shiny but it's new. Driving me nuts cuz I just got my crimson trace laser grips in the mail yesterday too, now I can just look at the grips and wish I had something to put them on. It's a CZ P01, something I'm very excited about and I had to give up my dead accurate baby eagle for something lighter. I'll just carry my sigma and hope I don't have to hit anything further than 5 feet away if I have to use it for some reason. I didn't get into guns until recently, I have a 10 month old daughter (my first) and got married a few years ago. It want until I started a family that I started wanting to get proficient with a gun. Its not my fault it turned out to be so much fun.

Moral of the story is, don't buy in seattle/king county. Your are at the mercy of anti gun politics. Go to a more firearm friendly environment. most places in the state, you do your paperwork, they make a call, and you're out in 10 minutes.(with your CPL).

In the future, even with your CPL, you may be held up again by "the dept of mental health".

I am not infering that there is an issue with any dealers in seattle/king county, just the system used for approval.

Moral of the story is, don't buy in seattle/king county. Your are at the mercy of anti gun politics. Go to a more firearm friendly environment. most places in the state, you do your paperwork, they make a call, and you're out in 10 minutes.(with your CPL).

In the future, even with your CPL, you may be held up again by "the dept of mental health".

I am not infering that there is an issue with any dealers in seattle/king county, just the system used for approval.

You will not receive a delay by local authorities with a CPL. They are only required to do a NICS check and upon approval you can walk out with the pistol. The state paperwork is sent to the Chief or Sheriff but if he finds something that NICS did not that makes you ineligible then he will send officers out to confiscate the firearm. This happens with CPL's and firearm purchases, not so much anymore now that at least 32 states submit DSHS info to the FBI for inclusion in NICS, and when it does local LEO will come pay a visit for confiscation.

If the OP has no warrants, or pending criminal or commitment proceedings then it sounds like the local PD is out of line and does not have the authority to delay the sale.

I paid in full for a handgun 15 days ago. It was out of stock so they ordered it for me and I couldn't do any paperwork until it arrived because they needed the serial number.
So as soon as it came in I went to the shop and filled out my papers. That was 9 days ago. I was told at the store it could take up to 10 days but sometimes as little as 5.
I called to check on it after work and they told me it has been "delayed" and I wouldn't be allowed to pick it up until this coming wednesday. So now I have to wait 15 days to pick up my pistol. This stinks! I've gotten my cpl since then (which doesn't make a difference now that I've started the ball rolling. I now have a cpl and a cwp in 2 states, this will be my third firearm purchase in Washington, my last purchase being about a year ago. I've also bought 2 other handguns in other states and now they are "delaying" my ability to pick up a firearm?
I've never had to wait that long and I haven't had more than a parking ticket since my last purchase. What gives? How can you"delay" me, whatever that means, but then tell me when I can pick it up? So, legally I can pick it up, but I have to wait longer? I'm trying but I don't know if I can stay angry that long...

First off, there is no reason I know of that the store couldn't run the background check Before they ordered the gun. I know in Arizona at least, the background check is on You, not a serial #. Second, if you were delayed, the store has an obligation to wait 4 business days, before allowing you to have the gun. Many shops will try to wait until the background check people actually call back, which never does happen many times. If you paid with a credit card, I would immediately call the credit co. & dispute this item, some shops charge up to a 100% re-stocking fee, in the event You fail to transfer, which is pure BS.

Billdeserthills-from what I've read you are absolutely right- there is no reason the store couldn't have started my paper work as soon as I ordered it. They told me they "couldn't" until they received an actual serial number. Maybe that is their store policy? Maybe they don't like submitting an extra form with the sheriff, how the law reads they could submit my paperwork day of purchase (day I ordered it) with no serial number. However upon giving me the actual gun they would have to file another form with the local sheriff, with the complete info- make, model, serial number of the gun I had already been approved for. Also it could have been the particular employee that made the call and saved himself some legwork. Another time, at a different store I bought a gun via layaway. The dipstick employee there never started my paperwork until it was fully paid for. I made payments over a period of 3 months until it was all paid off. When went in to make my final payment and pick up my gun the employee looked at the computer and was like "what the heck?" no one had ever had me do my papers, which they should have when I made my first payment and put it on layaway. He apologized and told me straight up the guy that took my first payment dropped the ball and that he could have got me going right away. He apologized again and told me I would be able to pick it up after my info was processed. So it sat there for 3 months while I paid it off in their stock room, with my "dibs" on the gun but nothing actualy filed. On that one I was pretty bummed too, I had just moved back to Washington and still had my FL license and cwp, which doesn't work for buying a gun in Washington although I was ok to carry. I can't remember but I think I also had to get a WA DL before I could pick it up, which stunk because once I established residency and got my WA DL, my florida cwp was no longer enough for me to carry concealed. As a Washington resident I needed a Washington cpl to carry concealed. Non resident permits don't apply to residents- the reciprocity just means if I was traveling through or visiting I would be able to carry but to carry as a Washington resident I needed a Washington cpl so there was a gap where I couldn't carry concealed until I got my cpl.
Sorry that was a little sidetracked there- the point was the employee dropped the ball and I had to wait 10 more days after waiting the 3 months to finish up payment.
In my current situation at a different store they all seem to be on the same page about not filing until they have the actual gun in hand. Like I said maybe that's just the way they do things there and not because of any legal constriction.
But I like this little shop and am not worried about being denied the transfer or having to pay for restocking the item, it's just an inconvenience is all. It's a small shop with with a small range and I like going there, they are generally very helpful and friendly and don't talk to you like your an idiot if you're not an expert gunsmith/cop/swat/marine/competitive shooter with 30 years of operator experience under your belt, can shoot bulls off handed and only use .45 acp- as a minimum and own 3 Ar's and a half dozen 1911's.
A couple shops I've been in are pretty snooty and don't like to answer questions and don't give you the time of day while 3 employees talk to one "good"customer and leave you standing there for 10 minutes before acknowledging you or asking if you need anything.
I like these guys, it's just an unfortunate situation. Once I subtract all the non business days the sheriff is only making me wait 10 days. It's just been alot longer for me waiting when I consider the weekends and the week of inaction while waiting for my gun to arrive, which I paid in full in cash the day I ordered it. I like shooting there, its a pretty mellow atmosphere, they don't "set a timer" on my hour in the lane. Once I've paid for a lane they usually let me go till I run out of bullets and have let me stay a little after close to finish up my session on nights where I was the last person there. They don't freak out if I go faster than a shot per second every now and then and while trying to practice finding the sweet spot on my reset I've squeezed off a few accidental double taps which they don't allow, but again don't freak out just remind me to take it easy. Also some ranges freak out if you clear your own malfunctions. Some ranges you have to set your gun down and call for help on a simple fte.
All around they are good guys and won't lose my business over this inconvenience.
Although there is a possibility one of them is a little daft. I brought my 10 month old daughter in the shop side and most the guys said hi to her cuz she's a little cutie. But one of the guys kept saying "hey little fella", "how you doing little buddy?", "how old is he again?" She has her ears pierced with little diamond studs, a girly outfit and she was wearing pink socks. I was like "hey man, she's a girl, times are tough but not so much so that I'm going to put pink socks on my son!" All the other guys started cracking up.

Misterbill- thanks for your input. For crying out loud- I do have a clp. I also have a cwp for FL. It's all there in my OP. It's also mentioned in my second post. I know it's good for years, it's good for 5 years as a matter of fact and I was aware that it cost $55.25, since I had to pay for it to get it. What is a local CLEO? If you are inferring that a clp guarantees immediate transfer from a dealer, it doesn't. It just makes it likely and lot easier. An LEO (law enforcement officer) was recently delayed with a cpl, when he came in off duty to purchase a handgun. Maybe it depends on the dealer but as I understand it the dealer calls it in when making the transfer, maybe they don't have to, I would have to reread that section of the law regarding delivery/transfer of firearms by a dealer. They do have to submit papers regarding the transfer and there are times when a cpl holder is denied the transfer and his cpl post sale, so maybe the dealer calls it in to avoid dealing with anything like that. I've also heard buying a gun in SeattleKing county can be a bigger hassle than other areas in Washington.
One problem was that I didn't have my cpl yet when I bought the gun, I acquired it during my wait and once the inquiry has started I can't go in with my cpl and take the gun home, the dealer still has to wait for the green light. They can't call the Sheriff's dept and say "nevermind, he got his cpl so we are going to release it without your ok". Frustrating but that's the way it is. I mentioned that in my OP.
I wasn't carrying concealed at the time and was pretty happy with my FL cwp which has reciprocity in 35 states. Now that I'm a Washington resident it's only like 31 or 32 states but none of the 12 states a Washington cpl has reciprocity with are states my FL cwp didn't already cover. So I waited until I bought a gun which I planned on carrying concealed although getting it sooner would have saved a headache probably. Did I mention my local pd issued my cpl in 15 minutes? That's what's so frustrating about the system, and I did mention it in my second post. But thanks for clearing everything up for us.

You will not receive a delay by local authorities with a CPL. They are only required to do a NICS check and upon approval you can walk out with the pistol. The state paperwork is sent to the Chief or Sheriff but if he finds something that NICS did not that makes you ineligible then he will send officers out to confiscate the firearm. This happens with CPL's and firearm purchases, not so much anymore now that at least 32 states submit DSHS info to the FBI for inclusion in NICS, and when it does local LEO will come pay a visit for confiscation.

If the OP has no warrants, or pending criminal or commitment proceedings then it sounds like the local PD is out of line and does not have the authority to delay the sale.

That is not true. My friend has a CPL and was delayed TWICE by the sheriff's office for 2-3 days. No reason given.

Wow, that is horrible, I hope whomever is holding things back gets their act together quick. My first handgun purchase was two years ago from a shop in Kirkland, and was nothing like this. I didn't have my CPL yet, so I was prepared to wait a week. No later than 10 minutes after I got home from the store, they called to let me know my background was clear and I could pick up my pistol. They were even pretty surprised at how quickly Bothell PD responded to them.

In WA since you initiated the buy before you got your cwp then the sale has to be approved by local leo in addition to nics feds. The local leo has up to a month to complete his background check but is usually less. They have to check a database at dshs to check for people declared legally insane. If your local leo has had budget cuts he might not be in a hurry to do this job. Even with a cwp the feds can delay the transfer but they have a short time limit to make up their mind. With a cwp the feds decide on the transfer and the local leo gets the paperwork by mail usually after the sale. They need the serial of the handgun because WA does maintain records of sales by ffls of handguns and any leo has access to them. Take any info from a dealer with a grain of salt.

As far as getting a WA concealed pistol permit in 15 minutes thats not exactly true. A friend just got his in a very short time but when they handed it to him they said that some of the background checks had not come back yet and if there was any problem they would want it back.

I live in Seattle, and unless I really have to, I shop out of the county in order to avoid giving them tax revenue. I really hate living here because this city is run by the biggest bunch of morons I have ever seen. ... but that's another story.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top