JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I know that many of you are well versed in the handling of an ar15 in combat, but that there are others who, like me are not. I would like to point out something that may not be obvious to some of us less experienced shooters.

In the bodycam video, pay attention to the officer's thumb and how and when he manipulates the safety of his ar. It is always on safe except for when he is at ready, and immediately back on safe if no threat is identified. From what I could tell, his use of the safety while navigating the school with his rifle is something worth noting (note: I am far from an expert).

For a long time, when shooting my ar, I would take the safety off when I was going to shoot some stuff, and only safe it when I was done...until I took a couple of classes. If you haven't taken a carbine class, please do. Even if you don't become a better shooter, getting used to using the safety properly will be worth the time and money.

Saw this meme and corresponding comment on reddit r/protectandserve. Nuclear grade burn right there: "shots fired, just not from the Uvalde PD"

vdpfkdu42lqa1.jpg

I know that many of you are well versed in the handling of an ar15 in combat, but that there are others who, like me are not. I would like to point out something that may not be obvious to some of us less experienced shooters.

In the bodycam video, pay attention to the officer's thumb and how and when he manipulates the safety of his ar. It is always on safe except for when he is at ready, and immediately back on safe if no threat is identified. From what I could tell, his use of the safety while navigating the school with his rifle is something worth noting (note: I am far from an expert).

For a long time, when shooting my ar, I would take the safety off when I was going to shoot some stuff, and only safe it when I was done...until I took a couple of classes. If you haven't taken a carbine class, please do. Even if you don't become a better shooter, getting used to using the safety properly will be worth the time and money.
I saw it he used the safety.
Training.
Military training or a basic rifle class..but yes he clicks the safety back and forth.
And has his thumb on it when moving.

Last Edited:
I'm come out and at it.
Lol we can sit here and nit pick everything.
BUT THE FACT IS THEY DID IT.
they did what had to be done.
It's over because they did what they were trained to do.
F@#(!#$ cop number 1 is a bada$$.
He saved the day and time pushing in
When others stalled.

If what you did got you the result you wanted....then it worked.
Could it have been done better....probably.
Could it have been done differently....sure.
Could it have done worse...no doubt.

What can you learn from your experience...?
And make sure you apply what you learned when in a similar situation is important to remember.
As well as keeping in mind that what worked last time...may not work this time.
Andy

Tell me what to do.and I will forget.
Show me what to do and I will remember.
Include me and I will learn.
Training basics.
Benjamin Franklin.

Training is a hands on up front in your face pull the trigger.yes or no.
Especially when it comes to CQB.
There is nothing that can prepare anyone.
For this situation.
Except.
For experience.
And there are very few people in the world that have in your face CQB Experience.

I was not nitpicking, I was trying to point out something that I thought was well done, something that for a long time I did not know about, and thought new shooters might consider. To my (admittedly non expert) eyes, the officer's use of the safety was worthy of note.

I'm come out and at it.
Lol we can sit here and nit pick everything.
BUT THE FACT IS THEY DID IT.
they did what had to be done.
It's over because they did what they were trained to do.
F@#(!#$ cop number 1 is a bada$$.
He saved the day and time pushing in
When others stalled.
Nitpicking is the whole purpose of an AAR. What did we do right? What did we do wrong? What could we have done better? These are questions that should be asked. This stuff is not an event, it is a journey. We improve by self and peer critique or we become stagnate.

Just think about it this way.
Any of us will reading a book about tactical shooting.
Can probably clear our own house.
We know everything thing about our house.
But just imagine your a cop called to a school that you have never been in.
And you have to go as fast as you can and clear rooms.
And you know there is a armed person in there.
And 280 kids .
Plus teachers.
Don't shoot them.
GO YOU HAVE 3 MINUTES.
TO STOP THE THREAT.

Nitpicking is the whole purpose of an AAR. What did we do right? What did we do wrong? What could we have done better? These are questions that should be asked. This stuff is not an event, it is a journey. We improve by self and peer critique or we become stagnate.
Nitpicking is a job in software development and manufacturing. They call it Test or Quality Assurance, but it's the same thing. :)

The pressure on those cops was probably.
Enormous.
The fact that they did what they did.
And basically remained calm.
In that situation.
i salute them.
They might have mad a few minor mistakes.
But they did what needed to be done.
And basically remained calm and tactical and didn't kill anyone who didn't need to be KILLED

The pressure on those cops was probably.
Enormous.
The fact that they did what they did.
And basically remained calm.
In that situation.
i salute them.
They might have mad a few minor mistakes.
But they did what needed to be done.
And basically remained calm and tactical and didn't kill anyone who didn't need to be KILLED
Obviously we all think they did a fantastic job. I think it's been made clear, several times, that no one is denigrating the Officers in any way. It's OK to evaluate tactics and learn from both the great example we saw, and from observations that can be made.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top